Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know that the AFL Player ratings are flawed but they're pretty close too.

Rohan is ranked 95

View attachment 1195534
Cunners is ranked 23
View attachment 1195535

Comparing a mid to a General fwd probably isn't fair either.

No news on whether docs were able to save the tumor from Ben's nut??
Good point. Interestingly the player around both Ben and Gary on points play similar roles. See bens grouped with mainly midfielders ( bont, through to Sloane,) and Gary with other fwds (Greene, bruest, papley etc...)

Watching training today

received_513463069724634.jpeg

Chairman Zia

All Australian
Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has there been any updates as to the malignancy of the tumor?

Is chemo needed? or is the incision the last of it.

I know this has probably been drilled into your heads 10 billion times but please don’t be ashamed to reach out to someone (obviously also a healthcare professional) even if it’s a person of the different sex to say “hey is this normal” and this can go for any body part.

taking care of your health is your number one priority, don’t be ashamed.

so proud of cunners, I knew he would grab this by its throat, can’t wait to see him back out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering if the surgery would affect his physical strength and conditioning?
Depends how long he is out for, his baseline levels from his last injury seem like he can regain full fitness relatively easy just like any athlete really. He should be good to go in pre season.

Once he starts loading after recovering he will be able to go back to normal 👍🏻

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 15
Avg Disposals: 26.8
Goals: 8
Stat Highlights:
- Ranked 2nd in the league for avg contested possessions per game
- Ranked 3rd in the league for clearances per game
- Ranked 3rd in the league for centre clearances per game
- Ranked 7th in the league for stoppage clearances per game
- 6 score involvements per game
- 19.3 pressure acts per game

Best Games
Round 9 Vs Hawthorn - 35 disposals, 6 tackles, 2 goals, 13 clearances
Round 10 Vs Essendon - 34 disposals, 4 tackles, 1 goal, 9 clearances
Round 5 Vs Geelong - 29 disposals, 6 tackles, 7 clearances, 7 inside 50's.

Summary

After a back injury ruined his 2020 campaign, our quietly spoken and humble spiritual leader looked on track to have a huge impact. His season started in round 3 after a experiencing lingering symptoms from a concussion he suffered in the pre season. Once he was back in the side it took him a few weeks to find his groove. Once he did, he had some outstanding games that will no doubt see him nab a few a few brownlow votes. It's no coincidence that our form begun to improve as soon as he got back in the side. It was evident very early that many of our younger brigade walk taller when he is in the side. Particularly Tarryn Thomas and Jy Simpkin. The form we seen was what we have come to expect from the great man, winning the ball at the coal face and distributing to our outside players, while also providing an aerial threat around the ground with his excellent overhead marking. His vision and ability to create space for his teammates continues to defy believe. The biggest change in game this year however, was his increased kicking. Traditionally he has been handball dominant player but we seen more of a balance this year and he was able to use the new man on the mark rule to his advantage. Cunners, was often seen hitting low % kicks off one step that would completely open up the game. He also stepped into a leadership role this year within the club, which is a testament to his growth as player. Despite being quietly spoken, the impact he has on the development of those around him is profound. Throughout the pre-season he really took TT, LDU and a few others under his wing which has had an impact on their on-field output. Both TT & LDU (amongst others) have credited Cunners for there improvement in midfield craft. Unfortunately his season was cut short after the discovery of a testicular tumour, which has since been operated on. He is expected to make a full recovery and be right to begin pre-season for 2022.

In my opinion, Cunners is going to go down as one of the greats of the club. So do your best to watch and appreciate what he does on the footy field because he won't be around forever!

WayneShimmiesTheBush

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1629861951518.png

In all seriousness, I am so glad surgery was a success for Cunners. He has actually become one of my all time favourite players at the club. I can tell you I wouldn't swap him with anyone in the league, as I believe when he is on, his best is as good as anyone's. I wish him a speedy recovery and I cant wait to see him back on the field monstering the opposition.

treegreen

Team Captain
Oct 13, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest, Melbourne Heart
Over the last two years our record with him in the team is 6-1-11.

Without him we are 1-20. The only win was against that unbelievably bad Crows team last year.

Has been the best player in our team for a number of years and it was good to see that recognised by the Brownlow votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back