Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly teams now know if you tag him you’ll go a long way to winning the game.
I’ll criticize Shaw for the first time but he needed to play Cunnington out of the square early on and push everyone else up the ground.
Cameron definitely outcoached him today.

Needed to be sent forward (with TT replacing him) as a leading target to mitigate the tag and potentially create some uncertainty for the GWS defenders.

Could've kicked 3 or 4 goals... who knows from there.

Any other player would have gotten a couple of kicks with that sort of attention.

Having said that, I felt he got next to no support to block and there was no tactic to break it (sending him forward, putting him on Hopper).

Cunners can’t blow them up like most mids because of his lack of spread and aerobic capacity, so if he is negated around the contest, plan b has to be to go forward.

The guy is a champion , but we need to figure this out quick as this will be a regular occurrence from now on.

I thought it was a soft team effort.

De Boer should of been in the change rooms at half time bruised and battered after being hit, chipped and scragged by all in sunbury...

JZ, Silver and Ben himself got him good but the rest did nought...

It was his 200th ffs after carrying the team all season...

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought it was a soft team effort.

De Boer should of been in the change rooms at half time bruised and battered after being hit, chipped and scragged by all in sunbury...

JZ, Silver and Ben himself got him good but the rest did nought...

It was his 200th ffs after carrying the team all season...

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be honest De Boer got belted several times, i though our guys did well. Cunners isn't used to a tag and with our second best contested player out it really spread from there. i was very suprised that he was so well held, however i also remember BJ keeping Dusty to the same numbers.

Weird coaching direction, I thought. If he's producing average football for a half, seems odd to me to try to persist for another half. Has shown the ability to go forward in the past, should have been rotated through there more after half time.

De Boer did a great job. Still, I'm very happy that Cunnington's game has got to a stage where 16 disposals is a very poor game. Can't wait to see him kill someone after the bye.

SMaturin tip of the week for when you're getting tagged and s**t.

1. Have a quiet word with your team mates about the following idea.
2. Position yourself 5 metres to the side of a team mate when said team mate takes mark.
3. Ensure that relevant third party (let's called him Ted Manderson) is likewise positioned 5 metres to the OTHER side of team mate.
4. Run around team mate and call for handball. Your tagger will of course follow.
5. Receive handball and dispose of football as you wish.
6. Look back and take note of tagger prostrate on the earth after Ted Manderson displaced 3 ribs with legal shepherd.
7. Continue as required.

We definitely had a couple of good cracks at picking off De Boer, he was just fortunate that he wasn't permanently nailed.

It's how the dice roll sometimes.

Not sure this changes anything with how teams approach Ben - he's already had Hewett and Ellis-Yolmen do similar to him. Not every team has a tagger that can effectively blanket inside blokes as it's a completely different type of defensive role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure this changes anything with how teams approach Ben - he's already had Hewett and Ellis-Yolmen do similar to him. Not every team has a tagger that can effectively blanket inside blokes as it's a completely different type of defensive role.

They don't usually get away with the level of crap De Boer pulled yesterday either.

I hope Rhyce has 150 foot of please explain videotape for the head of umpiring this week.

Hindsight says that not bringing in another genuine mid was probably a mistake (as others have alluded to). Ahern in means that he could rotate into Cunnigton’s role completely if we pushed him forward. Without that extra mid we can move Cunnington but kind of needed an extra mid, Ahern has a couple of years on guys like Simpkin / LDU physically even if not with runs in the legs.

Hearing David king this morning, saying that Ben wasn’t looked after by the umpires. As he is tough as nails they seemed to let a lot go on when they should’ve paid a free kick

We kinda noticed ourselves, but the remainder of the AFL media was apparently looking the other way...............................28 times.

Hearing David king this morning, saying that Ben wasn’t looked after by the umpires. As he is tough as nails they seemed to let a lot go on when they should’ve paid a free kick

needs to go to the courts and change his name to Ben Ablett the first or Ben Dangerfield. if he had done that before the game, he would have got a free kick when De Boer shook his hand before the bounce. The ump would have said Matt don't you dare touch Ben again.

Without being dramatic, he gets held a lot in most games I see. Slow = no free kick in today's AFL.

Hindsight says that not bringing in another genuine mid was probably a mistake (as others have alluded to). Ahern in means that he could rotate into Cunnigton’s role completely if we pushed him forward. Without that extra mid we can move Cunnington but kind of needed an extra mid, Ahern has a couple of years on guys like Simpkin / LDU physically even if not with runs in the legs.

Bottom line, if Jacobs and Higgins had been there yesterday - whole different ballgame. All those early picks to GWS has worked wonders for their depth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back