Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not advocating trading him for draft picks, but using him as currency to bring in a Josh Kelly/Tim Taranto type of midfielder would make us a much better side.

I still believe that a team will never win a premiership with a midfield built around Ben Cunnington. The style of play we saw yesterday is the only way we can ever carry a midfield led by Ben Cunnington, as without surrounding him with a team full of maniacs we'll be exposed too much defensively. It's also a style of play that means we can't afford to inject any class into the middle unless they come with an equal amount of grunt, which should make us wonder how it would hold up in September when having genuine match winners is absolutely necessary. We also saw against GWS how the style doesn't even hold up against sides with enough composure.

When we're forced into playing Kyron Hayden over Paul Ahern, it means there's a fundamental problem with the way we've built our side.

had much more time and space than usual and was able to show off his kicking skills which has long been the most underrated part of his game even by his biggest fans. can weight them and vary the flight beautifully. i feel this is part of his game he himself has never had enough confidence in for some reason.

and what about the handballs.

up there with wells and boomer as our cleanest and most creative ball user in recent memory. they still dont get it though. even last night toward the end of the game they were describing him as a "scrapper"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back