Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 v Collingwood

Stats can be a funny thing in footy. Sometimes a guy can rack up 25 disposals and a few dreamteam points which looks great written down on a sheet, but sometimes they cab be a little misleading.
Now we're delving into the area of quality. When a guy gets the ball, how he uses it and the influence of his possession is really the true guide to whether or not you can say "yeah, he was good today".

Which brings me to Ben.

Today he played permanent midfield on Luke Ball and would have received a nice little education from a very hard working midfielder. Ball racked up his usual 20/25 disposals but didn't appear to have a huge influence on Collingwood's complete control of our midfield, so whilst he clearly got more of the ball, it was by no means a complete domination.

Last week Ben was quiet for 3 qtrs and great for 1. This week he put in an even performance over the four qtrs.
He also appeared to spend a lot more time on ground this week which will further his fitness base.

Stats:

Kicks: 5
Handballs: 6
Marks: 1
Goals: 1
Tackles: 5
I50's: 4

He does do some nice things Cunnington. He always puts his head over the ball, gets his own pill and generally uses it to good advantage when he does gain possession. One thing that does is impress me is his ability to free the arms in a tackle and still dish off to a target. He's working hard overall, judging by his tackle count (second only to Swallow) and is coming along steadily, ala last year, where once he was match hardened, his stats went up. He needs to maintain his current workrate for that prediction I made last week (that we won't see a marked improvement in his performance for another 4/5 weeks or so), to be realised.

At the moment the biggest criticism (for want of a better word) is that he just needs to get more of it. He did have one error which resulted in a Collingwood major when trying to create run out of defence, he was collared by a Blair tackle which resulted in a turnover and subsequent goal. I won't be caning him for trying to create some drive on this occasion.

Here's a little clip from this week:

[YOUTUBE]Cf7wRV585WM[/YOUTUBE]

Summary:

Not our best player by any stretch, but by no means our worst. Probably the best description I can come up with is satisfactory, a word I would use for very few of our blokes this week. On close inspection his performance wasn't too bad overall and one guy who could take a few positives out of the game.

Round 3: Bye

Round 4: vs Fremantle

Well my boy definitely had an up and down sort of game and after some careful analysis, probably the apt description would be "Rusty". Again was played in his now customary part of the midfield rotation and received some good game time lining up on Van Berlo and at stages Pavlich.

The Pavlich experience would have given him a great education in clearance work, seeing first-hand & up close, how one of the best in the business goes about it. Fair to say Pavlich destroyed us in the middle and looked like a tank charging through a field of Mr. Puniverse contestants. A Lower or Greenwood would have been invaluable to deflect some of the pressure off the kid, who along with Swallow & Adams is doing all the grunt work. Having said that,
one criticism I did have was that when Ben was on Pav, he gave him too much latitude at ball ups. A good example can be found in this next clip with Pavlich to the right of the screen. Ben's positioned 2 to 3 metres away, allowing Pav to charge at the ball and use his bulk and momentum to either force the ball forward or gain an outright clearance. Pavlich was allowed to do this on many occasions, and it really hurt us.
(I hope the coaching panel highlight this to our on ballers. Leaving champions that much freedom is a recipe for certain failure.)

[YOUTUBE]SrNbnSGHP8I[/YOUTUBE]

At times Sly did some very nice things, whilst at others he wasted some of his good work with sloppy disposal. On a few occasions he would work hard to win the footy, only to let himself down by a lazy handball or kick. ( A feature of the team as a whole at the moment.) A couple of examples I've highlighted in this next little clip, with the prime example being a passage of play in the backline involving Brady. On the plus side there was however an excellent peice of playing showing his good hands and great workrate, which I've slo-moed. It's a perfect example of what he is capable with his general smarts and ferocious attack on the ball and his opponent. The "through the legs stuff" was ****ing magic I thought.;)

[YOUTUBE]KHY4_ZHuCc0[/YOUTUBE]

But it's not all doom and gloom, as Sly's disposal count was up this week whilst he maintained his good workrate as evidenced by his tackle count again. 6 tackles had him 3rd to Rawlings and Thompson who both had 9, a good effort.
I'd like to give a nod to Peter Mulkearns here, as only three games in and with a heavily interrupted preseason, Ben looks to be running the game out strongly. (insert shithouse 80's Yazz tune)

Disposals: 18
Kicks: 7
Handballs: 11
Marks: 3
Tackles:6
I 59's: 2
Coal Assists: 1

Summary:

A game where Cunners would be kicking himself a bit I think. The kid's a fierce competitor and I'm sure is his own worst critic, so he would be more than aware of the disposal inefficiency he needs to improve on in the coming weeks.
A servicable performance, but like the rest of the team, has a few things to work on.
Bring on the Tiges. :)

Thanks Groggy.
Probably the first game that left me feeling confident that cunners is pretty much ready to be a main part of the midfield rotation. Still has a bit of short term upside as he comes out being slightly underdone from injury.

Fantastic review:thumbsu: Actually it's great work by all reviewers this season. Was a master stroke to get this up and running again.
Your right about the flashes of brilliance, blink on gameday and you can miss em, but a careful watch of the reply and all is revealed. Great job.

There's going to be some awesome season highlight packages at years end!!

Agree.

I reckon Ben will end up being our best inside midfielder, but as a power player people need to realise that he is going to take longer than a gut runner like Bastinac to start impacting on matches. I expect it to be another 24 months before Ben really starts to impact on matches, and by the time he is 24-25 he will be monstering opposition midfields.

Great reporting. I think he has started well.

Groggyk said:
I'd like to give a nod to Peter Mulkearns here, as only three games in and with a heavily interrupted preseason, Ben looks to be running the game out strongly.

What I will say is that he is running the games out strongly because he only gets 62% TOG. That is extremely low and he shouldn't be judged on how much of the ball he gets.

I really hope to see him given a bigger role now that he's got a solid month of competitive football under his belt.

Great reporting. I think he has started well.

What I will say is that he is running the games out strongly because he only gets 62% TOG. That is extremely low and he shouldn't be judged on how much of the ball he gets.

I really hope to see him given a bigger role now that he's got a solid month of competitive football under his belt.

For only playing half a game he racked up 18 touches, imagine what he could do with closer to 100% game time

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.:thumbsu:

Cheers for that info. I haven't got detailed stats like T.O.G etc, and those numbers this week definitely indicate some careful management from the coaching & medical dept.

They also highlight he's tracking quite nicely at this stage of the season.

I know its early days and injuries haven't exactly been kind for Basti this year or Ziebs last year, but at this stage who do you rate as the top prospect of our 3 future hard at it gun mids?

I reckon Bastinac is the clear front runner just because he can play both inside and outside roles with his hardness for the contested ball, quality disposal and general acceleration at ground level (something the other 2 boys lack.) Lots of potential to burn, I can't wait for his return.

Ziebell needs to work on his endurance because he's got the body size, athletic ability and gut running credentials whist Cunners is going to be a solid in and under type player without being an out and out star and that's ok because every club works around tough inside mids who perform constantly.

so from best to worst

1. Bastinac
2. Ziebell
3. Cunnington

In a year or 2 it'll be interesting to weigh up our more classy future stars in Atley and Harper who indecently have shown glimpses of brilliance already.

Best to worst?

1. The OBSTacle
2. Spurk
3. Elite Master

(Log in to remove this ad.)

on how good i think they'll become

1. Bastinac
2. Ziebell
3. Cunnington

on potential

1. Ziebell
2. Bastinac
3. Cunnington

Best to worst?

1. The OBSTacle
2. Spurk
3. Elite Master

I've been reading the Big Footy boards for quite a few years but never actually made an account until 09 which then I lost my password for hence the creation of this one. Anyway the point is I know all about your old account(s) as well as that Spurk bloke who obviously had his girlfriend or wife break up with him to go hook up with Lindsay Thomas.

I reckon I should be at #1.

Cunnington under-rated. He will be the best of those 3 IMO. Atley better than all though.

I tend to agree with this.

I don't see much separating Cunners, Basti and Atley.

JZ will be the game breaker. As stated before he is not a career midfielder.

Cunnington under-rated. He will be the best of those 3 IMO..

I think he might, yeah. Definately under-rated. They've all been restricted by injury, but he's been restricted in most of his only two pre-seasons. Heaps of upside.

I tend to agree with this.

I don't see much separating Cunners, Basti and Atley.

JZ will be the game breaker. As stated before he is not a career midfielder.
Yep Ziebell will be very good, but probably not elite and only a part-time midfielder. Unless a Jobe Watson like transformation ensues.

Basti will be the cherry on top.

Cunners will be the engine room. Absolutely vital cog in our midfield and will probably overtake Swallow next year or so.

Atley will be our jet. Gun. Bang!

Cant split them at the moment TBH, Busta stands out like a sore thumb with his brilliant year last year, but Ziebs and Cunners are far off their best they will continue to improve.

Subscribe to the above sentiments that Cunners could have the most potential of the lot, when his confidence is up hes scary

I think that Cunners and Basti will be better mids.

I reckon Ziebs is the bloke to look to when a serious game is on the line, for the sheer will to get in the contest and win the ball.

Since when is being a front runner a good thing?

1. Ziebell - he's presence will be immense in the midfield IF he builds an engine
2. Cunners - Really like the way he goes about it
3. Basti - although at the moment he is most likely better than the three, the others have more potential...

And can only agree with the sentiments re. Atley!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back