Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Blight's torpedo, Schimma's complete exhaustion, McCartney's return...this will go down as one of the great North Melbourne moments.

Surely Cunners will go down as one of our greatest ever.

Belongs in the all time best 22, for sure. And not on the bench.

ROO STAR’S TEARS OF THANKS

MARC McGOWAN
A TEARFUL Ben Cunnington has credited the wide-ranging support he received for getting him through his serious health battle this year.

The champion North Melbourne onballer missed the final month of the season after being diagnosed with a testicular tumour that required surgery to remove.

The 30-year-old, who finished runner-up to Jy Simpkin in Friday night’s Syd Barker Medal count, is expected to make a full recovery and be ready to play in round 1 next season.

Cunnington said in mid-August he would have to “remain vigilant over the next few years and have regular check-ups to ensure the cancer doesn’t return”.

Asked to reflect on his year during the Syd Barker Medal function, the famously media-shy Kangaroos hard man choked back tears.

“For some reason, I’m getting a bit emotional, even though I didn’t win it,” Cunnington said.

“I’m not good at this stuff. Just to have the support from the club, the players and my beautiful family – I couldn’t have done it without them.”

North Melbourne co-vice-captain Luke McDonald stepped in to enable Cunnington to compose himself and spoke in glowing terms about him.

“I think he’s got us all there. I don’t think I’m wrong in saying he’s one of the all-time greats of North Melbourne’s history,” McDonald said.

“He’s come second in the best and fairest four times and won two, but Ben Cunnington the player and Ben Cunnington the person, I honestly couldn’t speak any higher of him.

“Obviously, he’s a bit quiet in the media, but his influence on the club – we talk about how much all the young guys have improved – that’s a lot of the stuff because of ‘Cunners’ behind the scenes.

“He puts in hours with them. He’s just a role model for all the boys, with how close he is with his family – he’s just the epitome of a Shinboner … he’s an absolute superstar player, person and dad.”

Kangaroos fans and the wider AFL public rallied around Cunnington when news of his cancer battle broke in July and he said it was overwhelming but appreciated.

“It’s more than I ever expected,” he said. “You think you’re a bit more alone, but the support, everyone from the top of the club to the fans stuck at home – it’s been huge. It actually helps me smile and makes me want to continue playing for this great club. It means more than I ever thought.

“I love working with the young guys and it drives me every day. I try to help them in any way I can.”

North Melbourne premiership player David King, who co-hosted the function, said Cunnington deserved a spot in the club’s team of the century and didn’t realise his importance.

Like Blight's torpedo, Schimma's complete exhaustion, McCartney's return...this will go down as one of the great North Melbourne moments.

I reckon Cunners punch to Bernie Vince's stomach is also in my top 5 moments of all time.

Never had the team around him that some others did, possibly some parallels with Matty Larkin in that regard.

IMO pound-for-pound he's better than all of Stevo, Simmo, Bell, Grant, Larks etc.

Young Schwatta probably the only one as talented imo since the 70's crew.

Stevo was in the middle of the TOTC with Cable and Foote.

Having watched all of Stevo and with Ben probably 90% of the way through his career, if I was picking a side, I'd be taking Cunnington.

Stevo probably had the spread that Ben has never had, equally as tough, Cunners and Cable together at stoppages would be just about unbeatable though. Amazingly Stevo probably suits the modern game as much as he did the 90's.

Cunners is a force of nature and can completely take over games when in the mood, a level Stevo never had at his best imo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he plays at least 2 to 3 more years.
Superstar
I hope so too.

He's sublime to watch when he's fit and firing.

Will be an inspiration to the younger brigade that is coming through. He'll finally have the support around him to get the midfield really firing.

Also, he's pretty handy if he needs to have stints up forward.

When its time for contract extension talks with the club, this is how I want the conversation to go between Brady and Cunner's manager.

Cunner's manager: Cunners and I believe a 2 year extension is appropriate.

Brady: Sorry but I strongly disagree.

Cunner's manager: Ok Brady, then what do you and the club believe is a fair deal?

Brady: A 5 year extension with a trigger for a 6th.

Cunner's manager: Geez you drive a hard bargain mate, but as I know Cunner's doesn't want to leave the club, we accept.

When its time for contract extension talks with the club, this is how I want the conversation to go between Brady and Cunner's manager.

Cunner's manager: Cunners and I believe a 2 year extension is appropriate.

Brady: Sorry but I strongly disagree.

Cunner's manager: Ok Brady, then what do you and the club believe is a fair deal?

Brady: A 5 year extension with a trigger for a 6th.

Cunner's manager: Geez you drive a hard bargain mate, but as I know Cunner's doesn't want to leave the club, we accept.
If that happens then Brady should be sacked

Equal second with Clayton Oliver with most contested possession in a game in 2021.

1. Darcy Parish - 28 vs Geelong
2. Clayton Oliver - 27 vs Adelaide
Ben Cunnington - 27 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back