Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Like a hit in the guts this one. I remember meeting him as a bushy eyed lad in his first or second season. He'd know that every single one of us is behind him.

Roo up for fight of life
SCOTT GULLAN
NORTH Melbourne star Ben Cunnington says he is ready to attack his latest cancer setback “head on”.

Cunnington was diagnosed with a secondary bout of testicular cancer last week, which will require an intensive course of chemotherapy.

He had surgery to remove a tumour in July but more cancer was found during a routine check-up.

Cunnington, 30, released a statement on Instagram saying he was overwhelmed with all the support he’d received.

“I’ll be undergoing treatment on the cancer that appeared in the last couple of weeks,” Cunnington said.

“I can reassure everyone that I’m in a good head space and ready to attack this head on with a great support team by my side.

“It’s been a couple of months since my initial diagnosis and I can’t tell you how grateful we’ve been for the love and support from so many people in that time.

“It means the world to me and my family.”

Cunnington is expected to make a full recovery following a nine-week course of chemotherapy.

He last played in round 19 and despite missing the final four games of the season, the tough midfielder finished second in the Kangaroos bestand-fairest award.

I don’t think he’ll play footy after 2022 but I bloody hope I’m wrong. He loves this group and loves this club. May be good for him :)

And if he does decide to the hang up the boots, it would be fantastic from the club to offer him a coaching role at some capacity, provided he is in right headspace and is healthy. He would be a mastermind during clearance/stoppage drills.

I was just thinking today about the hole that will be left when Cunnington retires. With his future unknown, there is every chance he might not play again - of course, his health is a priority and I don't mean to distract from that, but I cant help but think about what a North side looks without him.

He doesn't do anything flashy, he is just a hard as nails and an elite decision maker and executor, not to mention throwing around 90kg+ opposition at will to make space for himself. He is more than the engine of the midfield - I can't quite find the right words to describe it, but I am sure all North fans who watch him week in week out understand and appreciate the unique impact he has on a game and the nuances of his skills that sets him apart from the many other star midfielders of the game.

He has got more appreciation/recognition externally over the last few years - but I truly don't think 90% of opposition fans really understand how good this guy is at football.

So I am just feeling sad over the fact that his time remaining in the game is quite limited if not potentially over (god forbid). Being 26, I really only have seen us play since the early-mid 2000's - the only other time I felt we would be left which a hole like this was when Boomer was walked out (F U Scott). Players like this are few and far between. We have had other great players in my time watching...Archer, Stevens, Simpson, Swallow, Goldstein....but their impending retirements never evoked this same feeling like it did with Harvey and now Cunnington.

Just wanted to share that.

I was just thinking today about the hole that will be left when Cunnington retires. With his future unknown, there is every chance he might not play again - of course, his health is a priority and I don't mean to distract from that, but I cant help but think about what a North side looks without him.

He doesn't do anything flashy, he is just a hard as nails and an elite decision maker and executor, not to mention throwing around 90kg+ opposition at will to make space for himself. He is more than the engine of the midfield - I can't quite find the right words to describe it, but I am sure all North fans who watch him week in week out understand and appreciate the unique impact he has on a game and the nuances of his skills that sets him apart from the many other star midfielders of the game.

He has got more appreciation/recognition externally over the last few years - but I truly don't think 90% of opposition fans really understand how good this guy is at football.

So I am just feeling sad over the fact that his time remaining in the game is quite limited if not potentially over (god forbid). Being 26, I really only have seen us play since the early-mid 2000's - the only other time I felt we would be left which a hole like this was when Boomer was walked out (F U Scott). Players like this are few and far between. We have had other great players in my time watching...Archer, Stevens, Simpson, Swallow, Goldstein....but their impending retirements never evoked this same feeling like it did with Harvey and now Cunnington.

His handballing is brighter than flashy. It’s the brightest light in the universe.

I was rewatching the win over Carlton (don’t judge me) since the latest news, and thinking “we’ll be ok, the other younger mids are really stepping up here even though Cunners is playing”, just before the commentators mentioned that he had more possessions than anyone else on the ground. It doesn’t have to be flashy (although it often is), he is just at the heart of everything with his body and his brilliant hands and mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love for him to come to the club as a midfield or development coach after he takes years away from footy to fish once he retires

I was rewatching the win over Carlton (don’t judge me) since the latest news, and thinking “we’ll be ok, the other younger mids are really stepping up here even though Cunners is playing”, just before the commentators mentioned that he had more possessions than anyone else on the ground. It doesn’t have to be flashy (although it often is), he is just at the heart of everything with his body and his brilliant hands and mind.

The goal against the Eagles, after LDU danced around a few, found Slevo, straight to cunners ....goal....that was flashy, and rare celbration from him....Special.

He often has most gravity, and everything just moves around him. Its weird.

It's not his highlight at all, but I always remember that game he played last year under Shaw where he was clearly injured with his back. He couldn't run or jump, but still was one of our better players (we were getting destroyed by the dogs) just by walking to the correct spots and firing out handballs. Brave/stupid that he was anywhere near a footy oval.

And if he does decide to the hang up the boots, it would be fantastic from the club to offer him a coaching role at some capacity, provided he is in right headspace and is healthy. He would be a mastermind during clearance/stoppage drills.

I could see Cunners as a Roy Kent (Ted Lasso) type of coach.

Best wishes & get well great man.

9284F813-8138-49C5-B0F0-41BC4A0DA819.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back