Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Stay positive and surround yourself with positive people.
I beat the big C forty years ago and I’m sure that being positive made a big difference.
Give it the big don’t argue and handball it into extinction.
Sending you all the positive vibes I can muster.

The article says he's expected to make a full recovery after a 9 week course of chemotherapy.

Admittedly I have no experience or knowledge in that area, but is that a common prognosis with this kind of thing and perhaps even a silver lining that it's been caught early and is expected to be eradicated?
I like yourself am not knowledgeable in this area but this sounds somewhat positive not all doom and gloom

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having gone through this as the partner of a survivor I know how hard it can be. Every little encouragement matters. And one little thing I can share is that Melbourne has the best care in the world when it comes to this.

All the best Ben and family and the north Melbourne community

Not 100% sure as it can differ with the different types of cancer at different stages, but both my parents went through chemotherapy for early breast (mother) and early tongue/mouth cancer. Both were detected fairly early and the chemo was torture for them both, but both beat it in the end. A lot of follow ups since that will never end.
Did a placement in outpatient chemo nursing last year. The thing that really surprised me was just how well they can tailor treatments to an individual now with recent advancements.
By and large every patient I talked to said they didn't have the awful side effects that they had been terrified of, and any nausea etc was well controlled with medications.

Had one guy who had 4 primary sites (4 DIFFERENT cancers) and he came in every day, chilled in his chair for a couple of hours doing work and then walked out with a smile.

Cunners has got this. He's a tough bugger.

The article says he's expected to make a full recovery after a 9 week course of chemotherapy.

Admittedly I have no experience or knowledge in that area, but is that a common prognosis with this kind of thing and perhaps even a silver lining that it's been caught early and is expected to be eradicated?
I can answer in general terms - the majority of testicular cancers, even when there is a recurrence, have good cure rates with chemotherapy (much better than most other cancers).

Lots of regular CT scans and blood tests to check on the progress.

Some of my colleagues used to use Lance Armstrong as an example to patients on what could be achieved after treatment.... unfortunately he was taking a whole lot of other stuff, so no longer the poster boy for inspiring young men.

If you have any specific questions, send me a PM. We have very good medical oncologists in our country, so hopefully Cunners has the best chance of a good outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back