Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm obviously not a North guy but I just wanted to pop in and say I wish Ben Cunnington the best. Very good player and I'm sure a good bloke to boot.
Lets hope he makes a full recovery.

Long time lurker and made an account recently but yet to post. Just felt I had to post on here in wishing Cunners and his family strength and patience in these difficult times. No doubt having the footy world behind him and the fact he's Cunners that he'll beat it. Champion player but seems to be an even better bloke!

I really do hope he somehow reads all the comments on here.

Holding to ”expected to make a full recovery”. It’s a hurdle to need further treatment, but it happens and hopefully it just delays him being clear to get back to normal life. The last few days have a been quite the emotional roller coaster. Thinking of Ben and his family and looking forward to seeing him well again soon.

As the news of his cancer returning hits I looked back and thought how lucky we were to get those couple of interviews cunners did with Heath. Great insight into the man, the myth, the legend. Hope he makes a full recovery and gets better soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stay strong and get well Ben. You are a fighter on the field and l have no doubt off the field also. If you decide to retire so be it and thanks for your contribution to the club. Your health and family are your priority everything else comes later.

The day he runs back out on the field will rival Jason McCartney’s final game.
To add to the fairy tale, would be awesome if his first game back was against Carlton, he and Docherty are at the coin toss..
I expect those 2 would be leaning on each other a lot at the moment as they both go through this together. If they were to never play again, but they beat this dreaded disease, then that W would mean more than any game, any 4 points, any flag.

I doubt there is a club in the league that doesn't respect Ben Cunnington as a player and person.
A Cobden boy I believe, so this won't be a problem for him.
Best to Ben and family, club allegiances are set aside at times like this.

At full flight theres not many others in our club’s history that have impacted games like Cunners does. Just a flat out gun.

His ongoing health quality is far more important than pulling on the North jumper again, saying that, if he does fully recover and gets back to playing AFL it will be an amazing feeling for everyone.

Best of luck to great man - we love ya!

Wishing you all the best Cunners. You are a legend. If anyone can beat this thing, it's you, and you'll probably do it with a vintage fend off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back