Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

If this guy could work just a little bit harder on the spread, mark my words, he'd be one of the best we've ever had. Brereton mentioned it today, but I did like the way he said that as a coach you don't even care about his slow spread because he wins you twice as much ball on the inside!

He's like a precision engine that never tires. One of the best in close that I've seen in my years watching North. He's a contested beast. I just love watching him play.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

GR do you have video of when the Carlton kid thought it was a good idea to tackle Cunners, and he threw him off with disdain?
It was a thing of beauty.
You could see that occurring the moment the ball entered the vicinity.
I half wished the Carlton player coralled him.
It was painful to watch lol

He's like a precision engine that never tires. One of the best in close that I've seen in my years watching North. He's a contested beast. I just love watching him play.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He’s like a wizard with his ability to get his hands free to dish of a hand ball to advantage - even when he’s upside down

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn’t he in the leadership group?

I’m guessing it’s just not his “thing”. He’s a maverick. He threads his own path and leads by his very existence. Eventually, we’ll build a statue to him. He’s not a leader, he’s an idol. He should be on the side of Marvel stadium with the rest of the Avengers.

He’s like a wizard with his ability to get his hands free to dish of a hand ball to advantage - even when he’s upside down

One of my fave things about Cunners is how he pretty much always manages a brilliant little disposal even when he's been taken to ground and mobbed by an envelope of opposition players crushing him against the turf. The other guy who's really good at this is Jed.

The precision and weight he’s putting on his handballs is up with the best I’ve ever seen. His little gives are works of art, drawing his teammates to the exact spot they need to be in. He should be putting on weekly workshops for the rest of the team.

I was laughing during the replay when he allowed himself to be brought down over the boundary line and decided to use his strength to land on his opponent for extra lols. Then 2 seconds later Dermie mentioned the same thing. Which means one of Dermie and me is as smart as the other - and may Thor have mercy on our souls.

I was laughing during the replay when he allowed himself to be brought down over the boundary line and decided to use his strength to land on his opponent for extra lols. Then 2 seconds later Dermie mentioned the same thing. Which means one of Dermie and me is as smart as the other - and may Thor have mercy on our souls.
He landed on Sam Walsh who is a stick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back