Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

i need to check out the replay.

he had a piece of play in the forward line that just left me in awe. i cant even describe what he did from memory.

I was laughing during the replay when he allowed himself to be brought down over the boundary line and decided to use his strength to land on his opponent for extra lols. Then 2 seconds later Dermie mentioned the same thing. Which means one of Dermie and me is as smart as the other - and may Thor have mercy on our souls.
Yeah..gotta love Dermies appreciation of that old fashioned hard tough type player...he got pretty excited about Zurhaar after the collision...made a comment about thickness....

Let's not underestimate this bloke. With this as the last year of the decade I've been wondering who the best NMFC of the decade is. Hands down it's Ben Cunnington. He's not silk but he takes his place one day in the NMFC Hall of Fame. When we're losing forget about the game and watch Cunnington go to work. This guy is elite at what he does and he's been so for a long time.

Let's not underestimate this bloke. With this as the last year of the decade I've been wondering who the best NMFC of the decade is. Hands down it's Ben Cunnington. He's not silk but he takes his place one day in the NMFC Hall of Fame. When we're losing forget about the game and watch Cunnington go to work. This guy is elite at what he does and he's been so for a long time.
Votes again in the coaches award this week puts BC as the 6th best mid in the comp at the moment.

That will get him AA selection if he can keep up this level of performance for the season as a whole.

We saw that cool, calm and collected raw talent in 2010 when he was linking up play and hitting kick-able passes with handballs!

Has exceeded my expectations, I thought he would be that North 25 possession player that we develop up to because we don't usually develop stars..

However, Cunners has been elite for a while now. He deserves a premiership badly.

What's the bet Cunnington gets rubbed out for the head clash, and the Sydney clown gets off the elbow to the head?

I doubt either will have much to worry about. Maybe a fine for the “Sydney clown” as Ziebs played on.

In the TV interview right after the game, Ben said he was a bit shocked when he got to the ground today and found out about the Scott thing.

Didn't appear to be joking or in any way embellishing his story.

He said something like, 'as you know I don't use the social media so I was a bit shocked when I got here this morning'.

LOL.

Imagine that. Everybody else in the football world knows about it, but Ben is driving to the game this morning oblivious.

If this is really the case, that Ben just rocks up to the club for training and games and stuff, but tunes out of the media (1.0 and 2.0) beyond that, doesn't even text message or have any digital contact with people, then my admiration for him just went up another level.

Perhaps he was embellishing, perhaps somebody gave him a call last night and told him, but I dunno.

If there's one guy in the league who might have genuinely been oblivous as the drama was unfolding yesterday, this guy would be my pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the TV interview right after the game, Ben said he was a bit shocked when he got to the ground today and found out about the Scott thing.

Didn't appear to be joking or in any way embellishing his story.

He said something like, 'as you know I don't use the social media so I was a bit shocked when I got here this morning'.

LOL.

Imagine that. Everybody else in the football world knows about it, but Ben is driving to the game this morning oblivious.

If this is really the case, that Ben just rocks up to the club for training and games and stuff, but tunes out of the media (1.0 and 2.0) beyond that, doesn't even text message or have any digital contact with people, then my admiration for him just went up another level.

Perhaps he was embellishing, perhaps somebody gave him a call last night and told him, but I dunno.

If there's one guy in the league who might have genuinely been oblivous as the drama was unfolding yesterday, this guy would be my pick.

Almost tears rolling down my eyes in that post match interview with King.

Wonder what effect Brad leaving will have on Cunner’s performances ? Seemed very emotional post game

He'll do what he's always done, nothing phases him emotionally when its game time. He'll carry on being the workman of the field as he has done always.

Watch his feet, the pure majesty of a balanced and powerful athlete.

He's been lined up a few times this year and barely moved an inch. If Shaw can get 1% more out of him through clever positioning he'll be AA lock.

Last edited:
He had a twitter account once. Pretty sure he posted one picture of him holding a shark and then retired from the internet.

As I recall Basti hassled him into setting it up.

I love Cunners as much as anyone. However, I think the coaching guys need to ensure that he doesn’t end up at centre bounces on mobile opposition players. Ben, invariably, takes a snooze for half a quarter every game - he shares that with all the competition superstars. Last week it happened early in the last. He was jolted back to life immediately after his very lazy handball was blocked. However, while he was snoozing, the Bulldogs ran riot at the centre bounces. The time where the Bont literally cruised away from him and set up a goal looked really bad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I love Cunners as much as anyone. However, I think the coaching guys need to ensure that he doesn’t end up at centre bounces on mobile opposition players. Ben, invariably, takes a snooze for half a quarter every game - he shares that with all the competition superstars. Last week it happened early in the last. He was jolted back to life immediately after his very lazy handball was blocked. However, while he was snoozing, the Bulldogs ran riot at the centre bounces. The time where the Bont literally cruised away from him and set up a goal looked really bad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I may have a fix for this, maybe bring him to the bench and ..............

giphy.gif

i feel he is still somewhat underrated. he is actually a genuine top 10-15 in the league player these days.

he is on a great run in the coaches votes considering how few games we are winning.

Because alot of his best work goes unnoticed.

Sure he'll take a clean contested mark up the line and slot the occasional goal, and don't argue.

But every other possession he makes is where he truly shines, its always contested, always in the coal face, always the first to get the ball into space and allow us to run out of a contest for a push forward.

Alot of the allure of stars is big goals, running with the ball slotting from the pocket or bursting out of a pack like an elite ball user. Which is the modern player.

But Cunnington's style is from a bygone era, that while seems outdated, proves it gets the job done still and makes everyone else look better as a result of that work. Almost every club has them, the unheralded hard worker of the team who allows the big marquee names to shine.

If you were to swap Cunnington with Patrick Cripps he'd be championed as highly as Cripps is because when your entire team is full of plodders and kids and you put the team on your back week after week like he does, its no wonder he looks like a million bucks.

Because alot of his best work goes unnoticed.

Sure he'll take a clean contested mark up the line and slot the occasional goal, and don't argue.

But every other possession he makes is where he truly shines, its always contested, always in the coal face, always the first to get the ball into space and allow us to run out of a contest for a push forward.

Alot of the allure of stars is big goals, running with the ball slotting from the pocket or bursting out of a pack like an elite ball user. Which is the modern player.

But Cunnington's style is from a bygone era, that while seems outdated, proves it gets the job done still and makes everyone else look better as a result of that work. Almost every club has them, the unheralded hard worker of the team who allows the big marquee names to shine.

If you were to swap Cunnington with Patrick Cripps he'd be championed as highly as Cripps is because when your entire team is full of plodders and kids and you put the team on your back week after week like he does, its no wonder he looks like a million bucks.

Correct weight.

It's infuriating how much of his genuinely elite stuff gets missed by the commentators as they giggle and play footsies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back