Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Because there is a 97% chance someone would need to get dropped for Cunny to get a look in and it's constructive criticism to figure out who and why?

That's fair.

Of course the selectors found separate reasons to keep BB out in the last two years so who tf knows what excuses they'd make anyway.

If you can't see why Brown missed last year you're not looking at it objectively.

if you were picking an actual team to play in an Aussie Rules World Cup final, as opposed to the theoretical All Australian team, wouldn't you want the best two inside midfield bulls in the competition to play? I would have both Cripps and Cunnington in any best Australian team I was picking.

If they were picking an actual team to play they'd probably pick Taz at full back to take the opposition's best forward, but in reality they'll just pick the four defenders with the highest intercept numbers, and then two high possession wingers to play on the back flanks.

If they were picking an actual team to play they'd probably pick Taz at full back to take the opposition's best forward, but in reality they'll just pick the four defenders with the highest intercept numbers, and then two high possession wingers to play on the back flanks.
And a mid with little forward craft as a forward pocket and potentially a ruckman as the other pocket.

Team is stupid and largely meaningless.

He won't be, and it will be criminal.

I love ROCO but on Footyology earlier this week he said Cunnington does everything very well but isn't elite at anything so he doesn't get the plaudits that other mids get.

Hardly surprising for a scum supporter to view things that way, when you consider their current list and style.

Yep. The media side. The supercoach side.

Hardly surprising for a scum supporter to view things that way, when you consider their current list and style.
It just shows a level of negligence by not watching with interest. If you are a North supporter, you know damn well that Cunnington is an elite handball. These media "experts" do not pay the attention to detail that an actual club supporter does.

It just shows a level of negligence by not watching with interest. If you are a North supporter, you know damn well that Cunnington is an elite handball. These media "experts" do not pay the attention to detail that an actual club supporter does.

Would have thought winning contested ball is one of the most important parts of the game, and Cunnington is pretty much the best there is at that.

Felt so sorry for his opponents he then gave them the ball.

I've no idea why anyone would ever try and tackle him front on like that - you have to just try and corral and block the handball.

Felt so sorry for his opponents he then gave them the ball.

I've no idea why anyone would ever try and tackle him front on like that - you have to just try and corral and block the handball.

Love tough guy suddenly becoming a hard man when he realises Cunners is on the ground and briefly not looking.

PS - Kamdyn, your name is spelt incorrectly.

(And also, Jy's fault there, he gets sucked into the contest when he should be standing a metre back to receive the handball. Cunners sent to the right place, Jy wasn't there. Next time, Jy will be in the right spot to receive, jink around the bloke to open space, and we're away. Watch again, Jy is in the right sport and Cunners looks at him and handballs to where Jy will be, except some giant ginger monkey creature falls out of a tree and attacks Cunners head on, so Ben can't see Jy move into the context towards him and thus readjust his disposal. Ball goes to the right spot.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As discussed, ball being turned over not his fault.
disagree. Cotchin had that outlet handball covered. Jy saw that tackle and went to Cunners open side, the correct position for him to go. Cunners needed to hold his feet. He did bloody well to break to tackle but executing a handball while breaking a tackle and falling over is hard, even for him.

executing a handball while breaking a tackle and falling over is hard
Which is why it was such an impressive fend off ;). Better to get it out to Cotchin under high pressure (who went on to deliver it back to us almost immediately) than to get pinged holding the ball giving them time to attack.

Tbh after that fend off he could have walked it down to their goal line and I'd still be happy :)

Last edited:
if you were picking an actual team to play in an Aussie Rules World Cup final, as opposed to the theoretical All Australian team, wouldn't you want the best two inside midfield bulls in the competition to play? I would have both Cripps and Cunnington in any best Australian team I was picking.

I'd put Jed Anderson in a side that played for an Aussie Rules World Cup final too. I reckon he is one of the most important players in the comp atm.

Love tough guy suddenly becoming a hard man when he realises Cunners is on the ground and briefly not looking.

PS - Kamdyn, your name is spelt incorrectly.

(And also, Jy's fault there, he gets sucked into the contest when he should be standing a metre back to receive the handball. Cunners sent to the right place, Jy wasn't there. Next time, Jy will be in the right spot to receive, jink around the bloke to open space, and we're away. Watch again, Jy is in the right sport and Cunners looks at him and handballs to where Jy will be, except some giant ginger monkey creature falls out of a tree and attacks Cunners head on, so Ben can't see Jy move into the context towards him and thus readjust his disposal. Ball goes to the right spot.)

I'm not sure but I think Cunners grabs him quickly and briefly as he gets up to impede him. If so good on ya Ben. You kept him out of the contest and no one would really notice. Footy smarts (and players hate that sort of thing.)

Agree with the handball too. (Sometimes Jy is so OODA he even gets inside his teammates loops. Even his own.)

I'm not sure but I think Cunners grabs him quickly and briefly as he gets up to impede him. If so good on ya Ben. You kept him out of the contest and no one would really notice. Footy smarts (and players hate that sort of thing.)

Agree with the handball too. (Sometimes Jy is so OODA he even gets inside his teammates loops. Even his own.)

It is a forgivable error from Jy, he is in the right spot, and then assumes Ben is getting tackled and won't get the ball out, so goes to help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back