Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Didn't do anywhere near enough to make the team but should have easily made the squad. At his best he is one of the great pure inside mids of the comp.

Cunners got exposed due to symbiotic team related issues in the manner that the flankers and pockets get exposed.

Folks are seriously underestimating the effects that 3-4 quality quick players would have on the rest of the team.

More pressure acts, tackles, contests, possessions and link up plays = more Cunners and more everyone else.

Hard as they come. 60.2% of Cunners' posessions are contested, putting him at 8th in the AFL (for any player playing at least 18 games). In fact, this year was Cunnington's best season for % of disposals contested since 2015 (which I previous considered 'peak' Cunnington). Even better, every 25.7% of his disposals is a clearance, which puts him at 6th in the AFL. Essentially, every 10 disposals that Ben Cunnington gets, every 2-3 is a clearance.

While both stats below are down on 2015 numbers, I think that's because players like Anderson and Higgins have come in to relieve him. In fact, Jed's own stats aren't bad. Over half his posessions are clearances (52%, 15th in the AFL), while 23.24% of his possessions are clearances (14th in the AFL).

upload_2018-9-1_17-8-42.png

Long story short, Cunnington is a contested beast and I think Jed's his protege.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The lynchpin of our midfield, ziebell is the supersledge enforcer. Only 28 in 2019, will have another 5 years at the top of his game due to his durability.

InFineForm

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2006
Hawthorn East
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
Hard as they come. 60.2% of Cunners' posessions are contested, putting him at 8th in the AFL (for any player playing at least 18 games). In fact, this year was Cunnington's best season for % of disposals contested since 2015 (which I previous considered 'peak' Cunnington). Even better, every 25.7% of his disposals is a clearance, which puts him at 6th in the AFL. Essentially, every 10 disposals that Ben Cunnington gets, every 2-3 is a clearance.

While both stats below are down on 2015 numbers, I think that's because players like Anderson and Higgins have come in to relieve him. In fact, Jed's own stats aren't bad. Over half his posessions are clearances (52%, 15th in the AFL), while 23.24% of his possessions are clearances (14th in the AFL).

View attachment 552794

Long story short, Cunnington is a contested beast and I think Jed's his protege.
I'd love to see a stat on the % of contested possessions that are effective. I reckon Ben would smash this stat.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

View attachment 552794

To simplify, Cunnington is 4th in the league for contested possessions.

Back