Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I hear Dunstable say to Brad when he was interviewed on TV, that Ben was playing as a tagger for some games? Perhaps that explains his perceived drop in output by some.

Stupid if so.

Why waste one of your most damaging clearance players on a defensively minded role. Not only that, he doesn't have the tank to run with the best mids.

Stupid if so.

Why waste one of your most damaging clearance players on a defensively minded role. Not only that, he doesn't have the tank to run with the best mids.

I took it more as he was accountable for stopping an opposition mid in congestion rather than following them end to end.

The fact that he averages 70% tog is why he doesn't get high disposals usually and I get the feeling that Brad's rest's him a little more earlier on in games and saves him for the rest of games (i.e. He seems to get a lot more second half and four quarter disposals).

Stupid if so.

I'm sure the coaching staff have a reason. Maybe Ben is so damaging, that opposition have been putting an inside negator on him to curb his influence? If that's the case, maybe they alter the structure to allow Swallow and Zeib's to get a better run at things.... Kind of like how the forwards work as a unit with a 3 pronged attack - the best opposition stopper can't go to them all!

Rolling nicely into some good form for the games where we will need him the most, as he always does.

Moment of the night = his one handed gather, then fake in the lead up to Wood's second goal. Just arrogance.
I thought he was doing his best impersonation of the scanlens bubblegum cards Vin Catoggio pose.....it was like the game stopped for 2 seconds while someone took the photo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Form is starting to build nicely, very impressive game. Good signs leading into some harder teams

His last two weeks has been some of the best footy he's ever played. Please stay at this standard for the rest of the season, Ben.

Fair chance I'll be howled down.

Cunners can be seriously good...........but his year so far is underwhelming.

Very disappointed again in a big game.

With Wells and Higgins out we need our quality players (which he can be) to step up. Can't rely on Boomer and Petrie anymore, and fair enough.

Epecially when I thought our rookies were impressive :thumbsu:

Trade bait..we would get something good for him. Someone with leg speed and skills.
I'm sick of his inconsistency not just from week to week but quarter to quarter.
We have enough inside ball winners without him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back