Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair chance I'll be howled down.

Cunners can be seriously good...........but his year so far is underwhelming.

Very disappointed again in a big game.

With Wells and Higgins out we need our quality players (which he can be) to step up. Can't rely on Boomer and Petrie anymore, and fair enough.

Epecially when I thought our rookies were impressive :thumbsu:
Every time a good one gets married,we seem to lose them to contentment .

Should we trade this bloke?

Swallow is the captain so he will never be dropped, JZ is a better player than Cunners, all 3 cant be in the same team.

he has been very poor this year.

It looked like we really hit it big in the 2009 draft at one stage with BLack, Basti and Cunners, now it looks like we did very poorly.

Looks over weight and didn't raise a sweet all night .. Its impossible to get the truth on player injuries from our club.
Just jogged around. Jog probably stretching it. Very very disappointing. If injured, put ya ******* hand up and say enough is enough. Clearly he is providing nothing. Don't know whether I'm more angry at him or the club for playing him.

Clearly something is nqr.

I just feel he lacks that fierce desire needed to become a real top class footballer. Unfortunately he seems the poster boy of the culture Brad Scott brang to this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether he is laboring fitness wise or not (to explain his laziness), doesn't explain is terrible handballing in recent games.

He is spraying them everywhere with an odd good one, borderline liability at the moment.

I struggle to believe someone in the twos (obviously Dumont, who should not have been dropped) couldn't do better at the moment.

Clearly something is nqr.
He plays his best footy when he is the main man & just takes it upon himself to lift. For whatever reason, personality traits maybe, but when the Captain is in the side with him, he just coasts.

Needs a serious look in the mirror and I hope that behind closed doors he has been given the rocket he deserves.

Really disappointing at the moment. If he's not careful it will all be over in the blink of an eye and he will regret an unfulfilled career.

Did I see a pic maybe last week floating around of him post game with both legs heavily iced? Calf/Achilles area?
Seen the pic, to me he is obviously injured or that is what I am telling myself because he just doesn't seem up to it at the moment

Seen the pic, to me he is obviously injured or that is what I am telling myself because he just doesn't seem up to it at the moment
I agree ^ ^ Doesn't seem as fit as he should be . Why the club plays the players when not fully fit , I don't know . Goldie still seems unfit too

Last edited:
He plays his best footy when he is the main man & just takes it upon himself to lift. For whatever reason, personality traits maybe, but when the Captain is in the side with him, he just coasts.

Needs a serious look in the mirror and I hope that behind closed doors he has been given the rocket he deserves.

Really disappointing at the moment. If he's not careful it will all be over in the blink of an eye and he will regret an unfulfilled career.
Personally i think the club needs to quit this limited game time stuff for contested mids and play them in various roles. Cunners needs more time forward and then rotate him into the guts when primarily when spits is resting.

It could be the case where he is being asked to block at stoppages for his mates and is just jack of it, being a ball hunter and all.

Something has to change. He needs to be freed up.

Personally i think the club needs to quit this limited game time stuff for contested mids and play them in various roles. Cunners needs more time forward and then rotate him into the guts when primarily when spits is resting.

It could be the case where he is being asked to block at stoppages for his mates and is just jack of it, being a ball hunter and all.

Yes.
Id put him on the trade table
Nope.

He was ordinary prior to the Geelong injury as been poor since. Something has been wrong with him all year.

He was ordinary first half of last season too before coming home with a wet sail. Probably would have done the same this season if not for the corkie.

He is too good to think about trading but age 24/25 is when most inside mids really break out. He's still treading 2014 water.

Our balance is out of whack. When your only fit players are slow inside contest beasts, you get belted .......regardless of how good the individual traits they may possess.

I'm not sure if we need to make a drastic decision and shop either a Dumont, JZ Spit or Ben. But perhaps we need a rethink on our training and recovery approach so we aren't left so restricted in the type of player we can select.

He hasn't been at his best this year but calls to trade him are, frankly, absolutely ludicrous. When he's at his best he is one of the very best clearance mids in the league and has shown that over the last two seasons. Half a year of average footy shouldn't outweigh 2-3 years of quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back