Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone confirm if he is still struggling with his leg injury?

Still being iced up after games? something is not quite right with him

I swear a lot of guys after 2016 will be going into surgery for clean ups etc

Can someone confirm if he is still struggling with his leg injury?

Still being iced up after games? something is not quite right with him

I swear a lot of guys after 2016 will be going into surgery for clean ups etc

He certainly hasn't looked fully fit for much of the season whatever's behind it.

He certainly hasn't looked fully fit for much of the season whatever's behind it.

Problem is they will continue to play him. There has never been a standard set by Brad in the past 7 years.

Should have been dropped for dumont to the VFL and been told "get yourself fit, firing and ready to go. We need you to lift"

Not about injury. Not working hard enough. And I hear has been told so. Love him when he is going, but if only he had Swallow's heart, he'd be one of the best around.
Everything time I read someone say he's clearly injured and that accounts for his poor form, I think of the post above.

As to the veracity of its accuracy, well as with all snippets of rumours posted here, you take it with a grain of salt.

I'd say it's more than likely a combo of both, but either way it's a bit of a turd burger.

I'm worried about him.

The whole midfield set up is a schemozzle!

Swallow fumbling and constantly second to the ball. Jack bombing it to no one and Ben looking like he wants to have a nap.

I'm not sure if Bens form is due to the setup or he is just playing like s**t, maybe a bit of both?

I thought they got rid of the sub rule. :huh:

Must say, courtesy of the seats given to the daughter and yours truly by the magnificent Kanga1996, we were in spitting distance of the interchange bench. Cunners was even struggling to get off the ground at times and looked flat as a tack. Goldy was the other one who stood out when he was on the bench, looking completely dickless, with none of the fire of last year and the early season. The injury hasn't just taken away his midfielder ability, it has killed his intensity and interest too. Only Boomer and LT seemed to have fire in the eyes as they came off the ground.

I can understand the selectors wanting to keep our two recent Syd Barker winners in the side, but after watching the team dynamic from up close, I reckon that playing them underdone is the thing that might be killing us as much as the injuries themselves. Scott et al are going down a dangerous path, bullshitting their way through pressers and the like with the argument that "we only play fit players". Not only do the supporters and media know that this is crap, it also affects the team culture. They are effectively telling Dumont that he is valued less than a 57% Cunners and Maj that he is rated below a Goldy tapout statue. Sends a shocking message to the team. Shameful leadership.

It hasn't helped that up to 13 other players have been injured to a worse degree this season. Now McMillan. If they take Cunnington and Goldstein out Werribee wouldn't be able to field a team! Not that they need one now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be injured. Just has to be.
He'd bloody well want to be!

Surely at 25 the game can't have passed him by. Surely.

Bloke needs to do a * load of explosive training for next season. Either injured, unfit or blasè.

Synonymous with our midfield at the moment, looks slow, lags behind, we know he could be better but he's not giving us anything. A real disappointment.

Averaged 68% game time over the last 7 games. That's over a quarter on the bench.

Still does some absolutely phenomenal ripper s**t that makes you wonder. There was a handball from the boundary going inboard that travelled about 30 metres and I just watched it and went "faaaaaark".

But then yeah the outrageously bad chasing on the wing, watching him lead a thrust out of the defensive 50 and going "yeah nah", or seeing Josh Kelly eat him up in a one on one... Too large a gap between the good and the bad.

Don't think he is lazy I just think he is so slow and still has no tank. The speed at which the game is played now hurts players like cunners.

Really think he is a player who has been severely restricted by the interchange cap.

His best is top 50 AFL player level, but his worst is so bad it's hard to comprehend.

Think he needs to drop 2-3 kilo's and get some explosiveness out of those tree trunk legs of his. Even 10% increase in speed would change the way he plays significantly

Still does some absolutely phenomenal ripper s**t that makes you wonder. There was a handball from the boundary going inboard that travelled about 30 metres and I just watched it and went "faaaaaark".

yep but that was only after doing a 360 degree back into the traffic instead of giving off the first option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back