Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

What a warrior this bloke is. His handballs are bordering on violent!

He seemed to quickly sum up the fact he couldn't move as freely as he'd like once he came back on but that didn't stop his effectiveness.

Tough as a mofo!

Purely based on Cunners face after the final siren, i fear he has done something a bit serious to his knee, hope his scans come up OK, top effort under duress today.

Maybe that's why he belted old mate the soft****. Might have figured he was done for a while anyway.

What a warrior this bloke is. His handballs are bordering on violent!

He seemed to quickly sum up the fact he couldn't move as freely as he'd like once he came back on but that didn't stop his effectiveness.

Tough as a mofo!

Some players in the league are scared of going near him. He has them physically intimidated. Not all of them just some.

Some players in the league are scared of going near him. He has them physically intimidated. Not all of them just some.

True. Nathan Jones (who I don't mind as a player) made a point of bumping into Goldie and Higgins at stoppages for most of the first half, but tiptoed past Ben like a timid little mouse.

I actually think that Cunners has more scope to improve and hasn't reached his peak yet. Listen to his recent interview where he talks of JPK as a player he admires - doesn't sound like mentally he thinks he's absolute elite yet, but now knows how to get there. Also, this past preseason has given him the blueprint to getting himself into his physical peak so I expect him to continue to grow into his game in the years to come. Look at JPK and Jack Stevens, who have always been good but took it to another level at 26/27 years old. I think Cunnington has another level or two that he can reach. Scary and exciting!

Depends what standards you're holding him to I guess. If you're comparing him to the truly elite inside mids of the comp (Kennedy, Hannebery, Priddis, Sloane, Neale etc) then he isn't close to them in terms of consistent output. His best is certainly outstanding though and it seems to be coming more regularly this year.
Well this year Hannebery in 3 of his first 5 games had under 20 touches and Sloane had 18 touches against us followed by 11 against the dees.

So even those truly elite have down games.

Well this year Hannebery in 3 of his first 5 games had under 20 touches and Sloane had 18 touches against us followed by 11 against the dees.

So even those truly elite have down games.

And a lot was made of both cases because it's so rare from guys of that ilk.

I am not saying Ben can't have a bad game, but there's no doubt his bad games are real stinkers and probably happen 4-5 times a season. I am hoping he has moved past that because he is superb when he's on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahahahahahahaha, still laughing.

Ah jesus.

I just love this bloke.

All business on the footy field, even when taking care of dickheads.

Have watched this a few times as well Did Vince get an ything for "trying to take his head off? " :)
Yeah an almighty spray in the left ear from Higgo

Last edited:
Have watched this a few times as well Did Vince get an ything for "trying to take his head off? " :)

Well, yes, what Vince got was a hard lesson. And I suspect a couple of dozen would-be tough guys around the competition made a mental note along the lines of "do not try this stuff on Cunnington".

220517_19.jpg

"Just between you and me - well done Ben. That little prick needed sorting out."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back