Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

We soon forget though.

Ben of old, and I don't mean 5 years ago, and we win that game yesterday.

He's timing and confidence will return with fitness.
That's the million dollar query - can he get enough run back in his legs. The game is more open than ever though, changes in the last couple of years have really exposed his weakest aspect even leaving aside the health concerns. I think we will see over the next couple of months where he can get to and go from there.

Is the end coming sooner than expected?

All of us will be shattered when this happens. I hope we/he get a home game to celebrate him and not just announce it once the season is over (which I am sure is more Ben's style). Our last home game of the season is at Blundstone Arena. Our last Marvel home game is against * in Round 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should decide what he wants to do. He may enjoy playing VFL even next year and helping to develop the young kids almost like a coaching role.
I’d be surprised if he likes playing vfl over finishing up early on the farm with the fam and fishing every day

Is the end coming sooner than expected?

I’d be keen to understand the conditioning discussions he’s having with Kevin White and what the plan is.

Contracted for 2024, does Ben want to come back and prove himself at AFL level? If so then a mini preseason of sorts is needed. He needs to drop weight further to be able to cover the ground and not look like a total liability.

Or is the old boy content in seeing out the year in the VFL and calling time at seasons end. I’d say the latter. Owes the club and game nothing.

I’d be keen to understand the conditioning discussions he’s having with Kevin White and what the plan is.

Contracted for 2024, does Ben want to come back and prove himself at AFL level? If so then a mini preseason of sorts is needed. He needs to drop weight further to be able to cover the ground and not look like a total liability.

Or is the old boy content in seeing out the year in the VFL and calling time at seasons end. I’d say the latter. Owes the club and game nothing.
Sam Docherty looked a bit s**t when he came back. Deserves a little slack, still has heaps to offer. I’m begging him to stay for next year even if he asks to go.

I reckon retirement at early 30’s must be scary af. You spend 12 years earning $six figures knowing you are now looking at 40 years of nowhere near that income

As much as we take the mick, Scotts was correct about setting yourself up

I am assuming that the Players set up some type of Super nowadays?

Last edited:
As much as we take the mick, Scotts was correct about setting yourself up

100% he was and it's the difference between being able to live well and top your income up with some local footy versus scrounging for media gigs.

The first thing managers should do when a player is drafted is explain to them that if they save and invest 65% of their post tax income they can retire very comfortably in 10 years.

Sam Docherty looked a bit s**t when he came back. Deserves a little slack, still has heaps to offer. I’m begging him to stay for next year even if he asks to go.
I reckon Doc came back in much better shape but also helps that he plays off half back.
Coming back into the midfield full time would be so much more difficult.

He'd be on $500k a year, it's a lot to leave on the table and retire early, especially when you have had a major health scare.

My hunch is he will battle through this year and have one last push at playing snr football next year after a big pre-season - worst case he is an on-field coach for our developing kids in the reserves in 2024. There are worse ways to spend a year.

He'd be on $500k a year, it's a lot to leave on the table and retire early, especially when you have had a major health scare.

My hunch is he will battle through this year and have one last push at playing snr football next year after a big pre-season - worst case he is an on-field coach for our developing kids in the reserves in 2024. There are worse ways to spend a year.
Playing ressies for $500k a year mans can fish till his hearts content and have a big send off game once we're out of finals contention in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back