Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m assuming it’s the same grandfather Cunners always spoke so fondly of every time people ask him about why he got into footy. If so (even if it’s not), I can’t imagine what he was thinking running out there. I’ve heard Cunners describe his pop as his biggest fan and biggest influence. My deepest condolences to the family.

If any of the youngsters need a contemporary lesson on how a Shinboner carries himself, just use Ben as a case study.

It's really sad that no one is on his wavelength.

When he gets it in the forwards, he feels the duty to take the game on himself and force things because he doesn't trust anyone else to do the job.

We are lucky to have him. IF this rebuild works, he's going to have a big part to play in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m assuming it’s the same grandfather Cunners always spoke so fondly of every time people ask him about why he got into footy. If so (even if it’s not), I can’t imagine what he was thinking running out there. I’ve heard Cunners describe his pop as his biggest fan and biggest influence. My deepest condolences to the family.

If any of the youngsters need a contemporary lesson on how a Shinboner carries himself, just use Ben as a case

Edit. Been said

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sad part as seeing he played in Perth he will have to isolate and perhaps miss his Gandfathers funeral unless they delay it for a couple of weeks

He’s tested negative now so I hope he can make it. A close mate of mine’s father past away last year during the full lockdown, limited numbers period and it was really tough on the family.

We’re well past that now with contract tracing and testing so I hope common sense prevails and he gets there. Only 1 case in Perth, the boys were isolated so it’d be just dumb if he can’t attend.

Dermie loves a bit of no nonsense physicality, much the way he played. I used to go to the same gym as him quite a few years back after he retired, surprised me not a big fella at all.
Yep. 6'2 in the old and not hugely solid either. Would be a mid-sized flanker these days.

Dermie loves a bit of no nonsense physicality, much the way he played. I used to go to the same gym as him quite a few years back after he retired, surprised me not a big fella at all.
He is the same height give or take a cm as Gary Ablett sr. A few kilos lighter.

Ie he is shorter than Froggy, maybe a few kgs heavier tho. But he looks smaller since he stopped playing.

Dont have to be big to snipe people. However, he copped it as good as he got it and he was an onfield warrior.

2 footballers I've met that were huge in real life were Jacko and Glendinning

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back