Delisted 10. Benjamin Jarvis (2019 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

He was great taking that mark -
giphy.gif

What you think I should do ... is not something that needs to be posted. You seem quite knowledgable on the players but I think everyone is allowed their own opinion on the players..that what this site is ... an opinion based site

Jarvis for example... for a player that has such a good leap..yet I didn't see a flying mark in the highlights or an exceptional kick.. although he looks quite handy and versatile. I look forward to seeing them all live and not just a glimpse of what they are ..which is all the vids are.
Yeah, I don't think he will leap frog guy's much with speccy's. I mean I could be wrong here, but I can't really remember Menzel or Johno doing that either?

He looks more the type that will able to take one-on-one contested marks or on the lead, which might be damaging enough as the third-tall option. Have to wait and see I guess.

Dont like his kicking action at all, hesitates often and you wont have that time at AFL Level, seen a fair bit of footage of him getting caught definitely an area that will need work but otherwise has a fair bit to work with for a guy taken in the 3rd Round.
Distinct ball drop, takes a touch longer than I'd like. Does change the action to be less deliberate on the run so hopefully it's resilient under pressure.

Like the size, like hearing all out of position talk as that's how you snag value late.

These later picks a punt, this punt looks fun. SA boys go well, very good footballing state, so happy to snag some more from there.

Yeah, I don't think he will leap frog guy's much with speccy's. I mean I could be wrong here, but I can't really remember Menzel or Johno doing that either?

He looks more the type that will able to take one-on-one contested marks or on the lead, which might be damaging enough as the third-tall option. Have to wait and see I guess.

The comments we related to hurt factor. Its been mentioned that Jarvis helped out in the ruck , that he has been playing out of position/role ...much like Henry so it would have been good to see a bit of that leap.
In respect of Menz or SJ ... I cant remember seeing any u18 highlights of SJ..too long ago... Menz played a fair bit on the backline in his champs... but as afl players they were mainly clever ground players... although I can remember both occasionally took a big mark. Menzel first game back for instance

On Ben Jarvis
“He was so good in that first game that he became undroppable. As a forward he covered a lot of territory and had a scoring impact and he was able to chop out in the ruck and be effective both in the air and on the ground.

“What separates Ben from the average guy his size is that he is very good at ground level and hunts the ball like a midfielder.

“He's come from a long way back in the draft pack to be a genuine prospect.’’

https://outline.com/e8xxaS

I like the way that he worked hard to get front position and mark the ball.
If his opponent was any good, he would have read the flight of the ball and have run around to the other side of Jarvis when Jarvis was positioning for body contact. Poor move by his opponent.

But he didn’t so ah well, good move by Jarvis.

Yep, it was a marking contest and Jarvis won the contest through better positioning.
Initially he was behind but worked his way quickly to the front to win the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So could Hayball and look how he went...Javis is one of a few who will only play VFL in 2019

Placed in my "Bumps" file for the end of the 2019 season.

look at Jarvis' forearm resting against his opponent's chest, shows who had front positioning.
Look at the very beginning of the video. He quickly gains front position.

Look at the very beginning of the video. He quickly gains front position.
I acknowledge what you are saying but why did he 'quickly gain that position'? Coz his forearm was resting against his opponents chest and the elbow slips under his opponent's guard coz of his forearm fending him off! If he was caught out of position then he wouldn't have been able to do that.

Last edited:
I acknowledge what you are saying but why did he 'quickly gain that position'? Coz his forearm was resting against his opponents chest and the elbow slips under his opponent's guard coz of his forearm fending him off! If he was caught out of position then he wouldn't have been able to do that.

I see it as Jarvis is slightly behind and then uses the forearm to gain front position. He is just behind his opponent when the video begins. I also did not say he was "caught out of position". I said he quickly gained front position.

I see it as Jarvis is slightly behind and then uses the forearm to gain front position. He is just behind his opponent when the video begins. I also did not say he was "caught out of position". I said he quickly gained front position.
and I suggested that he already had front position coz his forearm was resting against his opponent's chest here:
look at Jarvis' forearm resting against his opponent's chest, shows who had front positioning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back