Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Without going thru such an interesting thought provoking post line by line ... there was a bit about letting things up set you ..if you let it and being result focused rather than process.. that id probably debate with you ... but I do not want to pollute Willo's question thread.
I wouldn't say polluting is the right word, it is a question and answer thread.... the answers given and the discussion they generate are more important than the questions :thumbsu:

I feel that farmer would have the same recognition with or without goggin, Just Ablett does with or without Smith. Perhaps this Midfield can carry Smith to AA nomination by default aha.
Goggin won a B & F after Polly left. He was a star by himself and with Polly. The chemistry between the 2 was special though; rare example where 1 + 1 > 2

Great minds
I think Smith is our barometer. Last year when he was playing well the midfield seemed to gel, when he was beaten we tended to struggle. That was from the naked eye so I'd be interested to see if his statistics back up my assumption.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say polluting is the right word, it is a question and answer thread.... the answers given and the discussion they generate are more important than the questions :thumbsu:
You've come up with some great ideas for threads, particularly in the off-season, and this is no exception. :thumbsu:

Fair enough...Im just aware its all too easy to take the left turn at Albuquerque and take the thread way of subject which in this case is your questions of the day.... but as you are fine with it ...

You've come up with some great ideas for threads, particularly in the off-season, and this is no exception. :thumbsu:
well the off season is a time where people lose their way I reckon, I figured this at least gave a semblance of structure yet helped with genuine discussion as well.
Like all of my threads I just thought of an idea and ran with it, before actually putting in any real thought or planning.... For example you wouldn't believe how difficult it actually is to try come up with decent questions that at least challenge opinions and get people going

Without going thru such an interesting thought provoking post line by line ... there was a bit about letting things up set you ..if you let it and being result focused rather than process.. that id probably debate with you ... but I do not want to pollute Willo's question thread.
Just quickly - people can only affect you, if you allow them to affect you. Some people are able to dismiss negativity from others, criticism, nastiness.

Some people get bogged down with the process, which can cause them to procrastinate. Or their fears of the effort + the process can put you off achieving your goal. You control what you can, focus on the result, but mainly it's about stopping the 'What If' scenario. You still have to plan + put it into practise, but focusing on the result is how successful people achieve their goals.

We can discuss this in a PM if you like Turbo.

well the off season is a time where people lose their way I reckon, I figured this at least gave a semblance of structure yet helped with genuine discussion as well.
Like all of my threads I just thought of an idea and ran with it, before actually putting in any real thought or planning.... For example you wouldn't believe how difficult it actually is to try come up with decent questions that at least challenge opinions and get people going
Q9 surely must be Harry Taylor related.:)

I'm not sure that is true. Who is Richmond's? It sounds more like a vague justification for keeping him in the side instead of acknowledging he actually doesn't contribute much. And he's not the ultimate utility. The ultimate utility would actually be decent (at the very least) in multiple roles - think Stoneham in 1990-1992. Blicavs is barely competent at best in any role. That's not enough.

It would be extremely generous to argue he's one of the first picked every week. Considering that you could name Ablett, Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins, Taylor, Guthrie, Henderson, Smith, and Tuohy without thinking (plus probably Menzel, Scott Selwood, Menegola, and Bews), I reckon he's not quite at the head of that queue.
Funny you should ask that. A Tigers committee man last year, which I posted, said exactly what they need is a Blicavs. Like the prophet not appreciated in his home village, Blic is underrated by his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunico? Thurlow?

Pulling Thurlow out of defense would be a mistake, he has everything we like in a defender, great a winning intercept possessions, great footskills. He looked lost when he was played up the ground. I just haven't seen enough of Cunico to back him in, reminds me of Cowan which is a good start.

Pulling Thurlow out of defense would be a mistake, he has everything we like in a defender, great a winning intercept possessions, great footskills. He looked lost when he was played up the ground. I just haven't seen enough of Cunico to back him in, reminds me of Cowan which is a good start.
I didn't mind Thurlow up the ground that much, but I've nothing against keeping him down back.

The thing that excited me the most about Cunico was reporting and footage of one VFL game against Richmond last year where he seemed to basically be a level above everyone else.

20 years ago he would have been fantastic, when they played more on instinct and set positions... but he simply doesn't have the footy brain to keep up with modern tactics and structures IMO, as a see ball - get ball type he is a different players all together

Do you think that Murda can learn those skills?

Funny you should ask that. A Tigers committee man last year, which I posted, said exactly what they need is a Blicavs. Like the prophet not appreciated in his home village, Blic is underrated by his own.

I don't see it VD. If the Richmond committee member said that great. He's entitled to his view, as are you. Mysteriously enough they won a premiership without him.

Do you think that Murda can learn those skills?
it's just my impressions of him, so likely way off.... but if he hasn't already learned them, he likely won't... or it will always be a battle

I actually thought that the majority of his 2nd half of last season was solid.
Looked like a different player, like the penny had finally dropped, and had some urgency too his game around the contests.
Then we had the Qualifying Final.....
The fact he was 1 of probably 12ish that were woeful and went missing under the spotlight of Finals, but was the only 1 dropped, shows where he is at with the MC.
Will struggle too get a look in this year with the inclusions of the injured and new additions.
Still, i won' be surprised too see him in the team at some stage.

While Murda was woeful, like many others, in the Richmond QF, Menzel was selected to play in Sydney SF2. Menzel's selection was criticised due to the perception that his defensive pressure is poor. Still, he kicked two goals. What's the difference in selecting either Murdoch or Menzel? They play different positions. Would have to be goals, right? Menzel's stats are a little better.

Parsons remained in the team, why? He scored one goal? His stats are the worst in the team for both games. Parsons is a developing player, so Finals experience will assist that development. Geelong sees more in Parsons for the future than they do with Murdoch.

I'm reluctant to criticise players. To me, Murdoch appears to work hard, give his best, yet he is hapless. I'm really not sure if they should persist with him, at the expense of developing Kittens. Not at all sure what he brings to the team, especially now with Crameri?

Legend - AFLHistory.png
QF2 Richmond
Murdoch - Stats - RichmondQF2-2017.png
SF2 Sydney
Menzel - Stats - SydneySF2-2017.png

QF2 Richmond
Richmond QF2 - Stats.png

SF2 Sydney
Sydney SF2 - Stats.png

I don't see it VD. If the Richmond committee member said that great. He's entitled to his view, as are you. Mysteriously enough they won a premiership without him.
Always looking at ways to improve though; aren't they all?
Do you seriously suggest that if we put Blic out for trade, there would be very little interest?
I would suggest the opposite.
Anyway, so far, the MC seems to agree that he has some value for us.

it's just my impressions of him, so likely way off.... but if he hasn't already learned them, he likely won't... or it will always be a battle
Excellent observation + Oh, I agree with you. Again, it makes me wonder what Geelong is doing to overcome players' difficulties? It has to be mental, I think. Remember when Tomahawk had the yips? Breust was also inaccurate, around the same time. What did Geelong do? ??? Nothing? What did Hawthorn do? Consulted Sam Newman to coach Breust. Breust improved dramatically, while Tomahawk eventually regain accuracy.

When Murdoch played well, we won ; when he didn't, or was out, we lost. A barometer of sorts?
Richmond QF2 Murda played, poorly, like many others + we lost.
Sydney SF2 Murda was dropped, still some players played poorly, but we won.

Only two games Vdubs, I know. As Doctor Gero said 'He's a plodder'. I find it difficult to accept his lack of success, because I'm one of those who wants all our players to succeed.

I do think Murdoch had a better season last year. But he was another who was unable to handle Finals. Sadly, he's had many opportunities, so it's probably better to put the effort into a Kitten. Plus we have Crameri now, so I cannot see Murdoch as a regular selection.

Q8. ARE OUR STRUGGLES AWAY FROM KP OVERBLOWN OR CAUSE FOR GENUINE CONCERN?

This has become quite contentious recently.

Geelong used to play eight home games at the MCG + how many at Etihad? Four?

The other issue is that for every home game Geelong plays at the MCG, $500k is lost in Club revenue.

I like games at the MCG, not fussed about games at Etihad + games at KP are the best!

KP has the home ground advantage for Geelong, whereas our home games at the MCG are seen by some as losing the home ground advantage. We had the home game in QF2, which was ignored by the AFL, with the umpire telling Jelwood to call the toss. Many Geelong supporters were furious that the game was not played at KP. Tigers fans were horrified at the thought of a Final at KP. RFC advised Tigers fans to used 'Cats', when their ticket allocation was exhausted! QF2 was a fiasco! It was insulting + disrespectful to Geelong. But while our gentleman Club copped it, I'm still furious.

Interstate teams have historically struggled to win at the MCG, which is something I want Geelong to avoid. While I'd love to see Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond + Essendon fans have to traipse down to KP, you know, just for the giggles - I'm more keen on securing wins at the MCG.

Initially I thought your question was spurious, however, there is a huge outcry from Geelong supporters to play all home games at KP, to benefit from the KP home advantage.

I reckon our losses are usually more to do with the players + their form, than where the game is played. Don't Sydney have a good win record at KP? Not so great at MCG? Let's play Sydney at the G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back