Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Discussion in 'Geelong' started by Willo_, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    The number one asset ablett still provides is his accurate passing which lack of killed us in the prelim. We should give him the role stokes had in his last years as the player who sets things up from the middle.

Spazz Cat and Boxhead_31 like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    If he will help and you think there is atleast 1 percent chance of us winning the flag then he can be the difference.

numbwombat likes this.
  3. Seeds

Seeds Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    TEDDY24INC and Spazz Cat like this.
  4. ScarlosToe

ScarlosToe Rookie

Geelong
    Yes. Given teams (generally) only run with one tagger, Ablett in means two of himself, Danger and Selwood will be free to run amok (plus Duncan) of our starting mids. We all know how dangerous they can be when allowed to run free. Scary thought for other teams.

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Premium Gold

Geelong
    Long may it continue :)

Seeds likes this.
  6. Willo_

Willo_ Parky

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    76ers, Melbourne Roys and Victory
    Q2. HOW MUCH WILL THE RETIREMENT OF LONG TIME DEFENDERS DOMS/MACKIE HURT US?

7. Spazz Cat

Spazz Cat Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    As much as I loved both those players it will actually help.
    I think people will be surprised at how much better we play with a more reasonably balanced backline. Particularly at the G.
    Ever since we got Rivers we've been too tall.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  8. Landgraft

Landgraft Club Legend

Geelong
    Q2. HOW MUCH WILL THE RETIREMENT OF LONG TIME DEFENDERS DOMS/MACKIE HURT US?

I think a lot of this will actually hinge on how Hendo recovers from his off-season knee troubles. If we can roll out our ideal back 6 then we'll be in good stead, but if we have to cover the loss of another tall then we have to hope that a Gardner or House or someone is ready to pitch in.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  9. Partridge

Partridge Hall of Famer

Geelong
    Even before that.

Since the start of 2007, the line up in the backline has been three tall defenders + Mackie. Starting with Scarlett/Egan/Harley, through to Scarlett/Taylor/Lonergan, all the way to last year with Lonergan/Taylor/Henderson. They obviously like that combination a lot.

I think Lonergan may leave a bit of a hole, as he was still our best negating key defender.

steady2 and Hello Kitty like this.
  10. catempire

catempire Proud Acceptor of Mediocrity

Geelong
    Gorillas will kick more goals against us post-Dons but our better ball movement will outweigh that effect.

Not convinced we have the player to replace Mackie yet. Thurlow is the most likely but he’s not a quarter of the player Mackie was yet.

11. Nakia

Nakia Premiers 07, 09, '11

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Syd FC, Pelicans, Canterbury
    It'll improve our structure.

We were too tall and cumbersome against the most nimble of forward lines and these retirements will enable us to add a bit more run whilst only playing 2 key defenders.

It also allows Taylor to play in his rightful position down back.

To answer the question ... minimal if at all.

Hello Kitty and Farmer2Goggin like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Spazz Cat

Spazz Cat Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    True but Scarlett was a lot different to your average tall defender though. Provided more dash than your average HBflanker.
    Unbelievable defender.
    Last year at times we had Hendo, Taylor, Lonners, Kolo, Mackie & Stewart.
    That's quite a tall backline.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  13. Nakia

Nakia Premiers 07, 09, '11

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Syd FC, Pelicans, Canterbury
    Also, forward structures have changed. We've seen this the last 2 years with the both the Bulldogs and Richmond.

Hello Kitty and Spazz Cat like this.
  14. dazbroncos

dazbroncos Max Rooke Appreciation Society

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
    More than probably expected.

Domsy could take a bloke out of the game - and we dont have that anymore -and while CD, Supercoach list him low on the list, his abilities defending are not measured well IMO and as such, there will be more times than not I feel ill be watching thinking " Domsy would have killed that"

As for Mack - it will be different. His drive and attack from HB might be replaced ok in 2E, thurls et al - but he played big and small a bunch so that flexibility in player rotations could be noticed.

And experience. That just takes time to replace. Not saying that Gardner, Thurls et al wont be any good and I dont want them out there - I do and I want games into them -but Domsy and Mack will still be missed.

Go Catters

Shai and Hello Kitty like this.
  15. Sttew

Sttew Premium Gold

Geelong
    It should hurt losing the poise and experience of premiership players, but barring injury, I think we will cover the losses. In fact I don't have any concerns about our Defence. Its the forward line that worries me (even with GAZ). Henderson, Taylor, Kolo, Stewart, Gardiner, Bews, Tuohy, Guthrie, Zuthrie is a pretty good group from which to select a starting 6.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  16. Willo_

Willo_ Parky

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    FWIW... this point has been missed by most I reckon. I agree 100% :thumbsu:

17. Farmer2Goggin

Farmer2Goggin Premiership Player

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Celtics
    Fantastic players and pretty much the last of the core that was our halcyon era. Will miss their experience , skills and camaraderie no doubt.
    However as others have noted this will allow a more versatile and quicker backline and increase our ability to move the ball at pace - from the training footage looks like we're aiming at quick movement and playing on a lot more than 2017. Benefits of this should outweigh perhaps a slight nett loss of defensive ability with these two departing.

18. Turbocat

Turbocat Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Less than it would have a couple of years ago. The power gorilla forward is rare thing and Mackie at times was brilliant but others less so. Im happy to give time to another new face to replace Lonergan and Mackie spot will be taken filled and covered

Hello Kitty likes this.
  19. Lana

Lana Premium Gold

GWS
    We have retired better players and moved on, the system is greater than the individual. Mackie wasn't the player he had been at his peak. Guthrie going back and a shuffling on roles covers him. Taylor back covers for Lonergan. With hindsight we shouldn't have brought back Lonergan for the preliminary final. A dominant midfield will protect our defense anyway. Our defense is stacked with quality users of the ball.

Farmer2Goggin, Nakia and Armo7 like this.
  20. you pick one

you pick one Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
    Other Teams:
    WADA
    Only if our forwards don't press so far up the ground,leaving the backs on a quick break with no options in front of them to go to and having to hold on to the pill go side ways and back to give time for the forwards to get forward again.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  21. LMcCarthy

LMcCarthy Club Legend

Geelong
    Lonergan was a once in a lifetime negating tall. Loved him. Will be sorely missed. But agree the run off half back will improve ball movement and ultimately goalscoring.
    Menzel, Crameri and Hawkins will be the beneficieries.

22. ChookNorris

ChookNorris Premium Gold

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    The Roys
    Will make our ball movement a lot better for mine. Good coaches used to allow Longergan to be isolated which would slow our rebound game. I do think however Mackie will be a bigger loss than people realise though.

23. LMcCarthy

LMcCarthy Club Legend

Geelong

Hello Kitty likes this.
  24. Willo_

Willo_ Parky

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Q3. WHO IS IN THE MOST TROUBLE ON OUR LIST, MEANING WHO IS STRUGGLING, WHO MAY SEE THEMSELVES OUT AS THE YEAR GOES ON?

Hello Kitty likes this.
  25. calder_daddy

calder_daddy Premium Gold

Geelong
    I think it’s safe to say GHS and Black won’t be on the Geelong list in 2019

Hello Kitty likes this.