Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Q4 - Todays question brought to you by a mystery poster

"At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

and for bonus points try guess who gave the question

Like:
Purrfection - Chris Scott discusses his teams unprecedented 25-0 season

Edit: Also a feature length interview with retiring Norm Smith Medalist Daniel Menzel

Most likely:
So Close And Yet... - Cats left soul searching after another season that didn't quite get there

Like:

Edit: Also a feature length interview with retiring Norm Smith Medalist Daniel Menzel

Most likely:
So Close And Yet... - Cats left soul searching after another season that didn't quite get there
Unbeatably well said

Like:

Most likely:

This is probably club house leader at the moment :(

"At the end of the 2018 season what headline about Geelong would you like to see, and what headline are we most likely to see?"

Like to see...

Cockatoo outshines the bigger names to win the B&F and the Norm Smith

most likely to see

Geelong fails in finals... too many injuries , questions raised about where they go from here

He looks a likely type, this Ablett kid. If he can put a solid pre-season together he'll do his round 1 chances no harm whatsoever. One week at a time.

Like:

Most likely:
Why the hell would you want him to retire?

I think both of us are bewildered over some statements about Menzel...40 goal forwards are gold.

He will surely play Round 1 given he completes his pre season successfully. Let's see....

For me personally to go out in that manner would complete his arc - and while I utterly love Menz I fear he will drive himself into the ground in pursuit of glory at the expense of his remaining limbs.

To win a Grand Final and be a hero would mean he had achieved his goal set since the first knee reconstruction, while allowing him to spare his body the rigours of further AFL.

For me personally to go out in that manner would complete his arc - and while I utterly love Menz I fear he will drive himself into the ground in pursuit of glory at the expense of his remaining limbs.

To win a Grand Final and be a hero would mean he had achieved his goal set since the first knee reconstruction, while allowing him to spare his body the rigours of further AFL.
Im pretty sure he would rather a long and fruitful career rather then fulfill some emotional storyline where he is a victim that has to retire early. He is a living person who could use a decent wage after his past 6 years. What sort of a person wishes someone a career ending injury in there mid 20s.

Im pretty sure he would rather a long and fruitful career rather then fulfill some emotional storyline where he is a victim that has to retire early. He is a living person who could use a decent wage after his past 6 years. What sort of a person wishes someone a career ending injury in there mid 20s.
Nobody is wishing him a career ending injury. But what a fantastic way to pull the curtains down on a career that has been already ravaged by injury. Winning a NS in a Premiership team- what else would there be to play for? We know how long it takes him to recover from games now. It doesn't get easier for him. Degeneration is setting into those knees.
I call it prudent decision making if it were to transpire that way. And he would be not short of a successful media career after football judging by his efforts on K Rock etc those years he was in the wilderness. Very presentable young man, would be highly sought after.

He'd rather five premiership medals, other awards and knees impervious to harm. No doubt. And I'm not wishing any sort of injury upon him - nor do I think that's a fair accusation to make.

But Menz lives in the real world and his knees are already irreparably damaged. The injuries happened and they happened years ago, the effects will already be felt throughout the rest of his life.

If you've watched A Long Way Home or seen many interviews with Menz then its pretty clear that he is pursuing the premiership his body denied him in 2011 as a form of redemption. To achieve his idealised dream that literal years of rehab have been shaped towards... I think he would seriously think about moving on at that stage. And frankly who could blame him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I'd like to see
Ablett carji
Selwood brownlow
Danger coleman
Fogarty and kelly unearthed as future stars
Stanley turns the tide cutting off all buddy supply in gf running off him with ease
Menz kicks 50 earning 2 year deal
McCarthy Cocky and Gregson play full seasons giving run and pressure to previously hagged old fwd line.

Most likely to see
Cats beat bulldogs tigers and swans in finals restoring order to the greatest team of all

Guessing turbo as the poster

Nobody is wishing him a career ending injury. But what a fantastic way to pull the curtains down on a career that has been already ravaged by injury. Winning a NS in a Premiership team- what else would there be to play for? We know how long it takes him to recover from games now. It doesn't get easier for him. Degeneration is setting into those knees.
I call it prudent decision making if it were to transpire that way. And he would be not short of a successful media career after football judging by his efforts on K Rock etc those years he was in the wilderness. Very presentable young man, would be highly sought after.
If its prudent he should retire now

Menegola and stanley cop it but GHS cops nothing. In fact he is almost celebrated for being an average footballer.
The expectations are very different because people are aware of Horlo's limitations. If Stanley was prepared to work as hard as GHS does then he would be a force to be reckoned with.

Q5: WILL ANOTHER POOR FINALS CAMPAIGN SEE THE SCOTT UNDER GENUINE PRESSURE TO KEEP HIS JOB?
If he continues making finals then he will see out his current contract, but poor performance may make further extensions harder to attain.

Q5: WILL ANOTHER POOR FINALS CAMPAIGN SEE THE SCOTT UNDER GENUINE PRESSURE TO KEEP HIS JOB?

I’m always loath to make sweeping statements as there can sometimes be mitigating circumstances, however if we don’t atleast improve our results over the next 2 seasons then Scott and a handful of others should have their positions seriously looked at.
We’ve obviously looked to top up and win a flag while guns like Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are still around and we’ve arguably collected the best midfield group in the comp right now, we have a solid defence and injury permitting, solid offence.
Should we fail or should we not improve at all then IMO from Cook down to Scott and his assistants should be held accountable.

I can't agree more. I'm not confident about his longevity in the game given the way he moves around on the field and his struggles just to get up each game.

Getting back after 4 knee reconstructions is an achievement in itself, coming back and winning a premiership and a Norm Smith might be his crowning glory. It wouldn't surprise me to see him call curtains on his career should it happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back