Opinion - 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION) | Page 5 | BigFooty

Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Discussion in 'Geelong' started by Willo_, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Tottenham, Bushrangers
    Doubt it will. The same predicament will likely be in place that has been in previous years. He wins enough H&A games to get us to contend that we won’t sack him for an untried coach. However; there aren’t too many quality experienced coaches sitting on the sidelines waiting for another chance.

For Scott’s position to be under threat we’d have to miss finals badly imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Cataholic

Cataholic Premium Gold

Geelong
    I think it will.

Even here.

3. BUSTER29

BUSTER29 Club Legend

Geelong
    Do we necessarily need an experienced coach to take over from Scott?
    Or just someone with some fresh ideas and methods that might tip us from' thereabouts' too progressing past Preliminary Final weekend.
    I can see logic for both sides , it's an interesting 'What If' though.

4. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Tottenham, Bushrangers
    But that’s the conundrum. So long as we make finals and he maintains his high W/L record Cook won’t sack him for someone untried. To sack a coach achieving finals yearly you need to do so for someone who is highly likely to produce better results, you can’t be sure of that for someone untried.

Hence it won’t happen.

5. catempire

catempire Proud Acceptor of Mediocrity

Geelong
    I don’t think he would be sacked after making the finals and failing but he might walk away. I also think he could even walk away after a flag.

Warhorse likes this.
  6. you pick one

you pick one Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
    Other Teams:
    WADA
    Same old same old should see him come under scrutiny,how ever I reckon even though we have missed the big dance since 2011 he has ticked a lot of boxes for the club and Cook by staying competitive especially at home and putting bums on seats,a key factor in securing funds from governments for the rebuilds of KP,once that's completed it's a new ball game and the club may become more adventurous and look to some one else.Will see out his contract.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  7. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Says you now- let him at least start the season and see how he goes please?

Hello Kitty likes this.
  8. Cataholic

Cataholic Premium Gold

Geelong
    In fairness to Seeds - and I could’ve misinterpreted his use of the word ‘prudent’ - I think he’s suggesting that if, behind the scenes, it’s judged his glass knees are touch and go then perhaps he should retire now than break them completely and be an invalid for the rest of his days. Ie.....prudent.

Seeds likes this.
  9. ChookNorris

ChookNorris Premium Gold

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    The Roys
    I think they’ll go with a classic:

Walking on Water (photo of Ablett arms outstretched at the final siren) Geelong wins in wettest final in recent memory.

There will probably be a mention of Richmond only not making it because they had to play an away prelim.

Hello Kitty likes this.
  10. ChookNorris

ChookNorris Premium Gold

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    The Roys
    Well with those two, expectations are higher as they are playing senior football? George excells at a lower level and is rarely in seniors so we have nothing to knock him for. Wouldn’t say he is celebrated though.

11. Mad_Hatter

Mad_Hatter Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Dan himself thinks he’s right to go now, yep he’ll deal with soreness for many many years but he doesn’t believe his knees are any more fragile or likely to injure than they were prior to the recos.
    That’s probably why he’s been able to impact the way he has.
    Maybe that’s a little lie he has to believe to contribute or maybe there’s some truth to it, I don’t know, but I’ll be cautiously optimistic when it comes to “those” knees myself.

Hello Kitty and Landgraft like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    it was my use of the word prudent he referred to

13. Vdubs

Vdubs Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Where does everyone realistically believe we SHOULD finish this year, and then ACTUALLY finish based on coach, gameplan etc. If we all answered those questions honestly....
    I believe we have the best person available who has intimate knowledge of our list and others, and is a fine student of the game, and highly respected by his peers. The supporters who are critical of him are actually irrelevant when you consider all and sundry were after Hardwick to be sacked- now he's their demigod.
    CS is not perfect, no coach is- at the end of 16, everybody wanted the Dogs coach- now he's yesterday's news. At end 18, it may be Hinkley or Buckley

Hello Kitty likes this.
  14. Hello Kitty

Hello Kitty Moniker: Miss Kitty

Geelong
    :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Ablett - The Return - Said No Other Team EVER -Selwood + Dangerfield - Ablett The Return Meme.jpg

patience likes this.
  15. Hello Kitty

Geelong
    :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

16. Hello Kitty

Geelong
    Geelong Headline I'd most like to see:

'Geelong Demolishes Hawthorn by 216 points in 2018 Grand Final, swooping every AFL prize!'

Joel Selwood - Brownlow
    Tomahawk - Coleman
    Dangerfield - Norm Smith
    Ablett - Carji Greaves
    All Australian - Ablett, Bews, Blicavs, Buzza, Cockatoo, Dangerfield, Duncan, Hawkins, Henderson, Guthries x 2, Mengola, Menzel, Parfitt, Selwoods x 2
    Scott - Coach of the Year

Selwood + Davis welcome their first child, a boy, who they are calling 'DangerDuncWoodLett'

Headline we are most likely to see:
    Richmond + Hawthorn tie for Ninth Place *jokes*

Adelaide, Richmond + Hawthorn fail to make the Top Eight *fingers crossed*

00VicWard001 likes this.
  17. Hello Kitty

Geelong
    :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Landgraft likes this.
  18. Sttew

Sttew Premium Gold

Geelong
    Q5: WILL ANOTHER POOR FINALS CAMPAIGN SEE THE SCOTT UNDER GENUINE PRESSURE TO KEEP HIS JOB?

It should, but only if there is a genuine alternative coach in the waiting (and not an untried rookie), and only if we are still a genuine flag chance.

19. Partridge

Partridge Hall of Famer

Geelong
    When you say an untried rookie, do you mean like Mark Thompson or Chris Scott? Or maybe Clarkson, Beveridge, Longmire, and Hardwick. They were all untried too.

BUSTER29 likes this.
  20. Dawn to Dark

Dawn to Dark Premiership Player

Geelong
    Living with HaroLad, Citroin, El Chapo and Hoops
    Other Teams:
    Gumbies
    1 - Absolutely. Gaz will be back to his best because psychologically he will feel right at home and free to do whatever he wants.

2 - It will hurt us yes. Both were great servants for the club and legends in every way. I feel our defence will be more mobile with both gone but I genuinely worry about it this season, yes

3 - Stanley, Murdoch, GHS, Black I feel are all gone, gone, gone. Thurlow needs a big year and some trust or he might go, Gregson too.

4 - Geelong Premiers its simple. If we fail to win a premiership by 2020 then it's time for a rebuild because this top up and go for glory approach has failed. It's that simple

5 - It should yes, but not many candidates to take over

Hello Kitty likes this.
  21. Turbocat

Turbocat Premium Platinum

Geelong
    I doubt it because any failure will not be due to Scott or our game style

22. catempire

catempire Proud Acceptor of Mediocrity

Geelong
    The quality being replaced is half of the equation. In all of those cases (Roos-Longmire excepted where it was Roos’ call) there was no downside given who was being replaced.

23. Warhorse

Warhorse All Australian

Geelong
    1. Yes. On paper the greatest starting midfield of all time.

2. Doms hurts a lot. Henderson is an average one on one defender and plays better as a third tall. Harry has been a star but has slowed down. Big concern with no real backups. Our mediums and small backs are good so mackie is not big loss

3. I could name a bunch of spuds who never play but that is no fun. Players who could go either way include stanley (lacks a heart, dumb as dogshit), mccarthy (not young, average 10 touches and less than 1 goal a game), guthrie (gone backwards, has talent), menzel

4. Meh

Partridge likes this.
  24. LMcCarthy

LMcCarthy Club Legend

Geelong
    Competition now has so many contenders, a bad finals campaign is not solely to us. Adelaide, Port Adelaide, GWS, Sydney, Richmond, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Essendon, Stkilda and potentially Collingwood and West Coast all competitive now.
    Making the finals is an achievement now.
    If we make top 4 again, it would be some effort
    I think Scott has made us competitive, and with some luck we may have been more than that a few times.
    Hope Gaz and the fitness of McCarthy, Cocky and Gregson, and youth of Kelly and Fogarty will hold us in good stead come the pointy end.
    Maybe even Crameri will be a surprise

Hello Kitty likes this.
  25. Hello Kitty

Geelong
    Preferably at Kardinia Park lol

ChookNorris and LMcCarthy like this.