Opinion 10 Burning Questions (Thursday 15th FINAL QUESTION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Q9. LOOKING BACK, WAS THE HARRY TAYLOR FORWARD EXPERIMENT A WORTHY VENTURE OR WASTE OF TIME?
The move should have been done without any fanfare and on a needs basis. Instead, Harry carried the world on his shoulders because he was going to be the great white hope up forward.

22 goals is a fair to average return
Fans create the fanfare.
As far as I could see, it WAS done on a needs basis.
It did not always work , early on, but even then, his decoy role helped Hawkins. We rarely lost games.
Later on, he scored often enough to make at least me think he could be moved there again, except this year we need him more desperately in defence.

Last edited:
Buzza scored 5 goals in 6 games in 2017. Harry kicked 2 goals in his first 6 games in 2017.

Harry "improved" to kick 19 in the next 15 games - sort of. I would have expected Buzza to improve more as games experience increased.

I could argue that with the Taylor experiment we lost the chance to "blood" a young KPF and have a GOOD look at the future.

Buzza scored 5 goals in 6 games in 2017. Harry kicked 2 goals in his first 6 games in 2017.

Harry "improved" to kick 19 in the next 15 games - sort of. I would have expected Buzza to improve more as games experience increased.

I could argue that with the Taylor experiment we lost the chance to "blood" a young KPF and have a GOOD look at the future.

True Buzza has said he lacked the fitness to play mulitple games on end ... but playing him may have developed him a bit quicker ... now he may struggle for games this year after our off season "ins"

True Buzza has said he lacked the fitness to play mulitple games on end ... but playing him may have developed him a bit quicker ... now he may struggle for games this year after our off season "ins"
Buzza has a 2 year contract extention to the end of 2019 and he's arguably in the best VFL system in the land,so he has the opportunity to press his case from there, so head down arse up and all is possible.The Q9 will have his hands full down back with Domsy and Mack gone and will stay there unless it's a try to win the game late move.Buzza's main rivals as l see it are Blits and Stanley under the current game plan so he needs to work on his ruck skills as well as forward play,a new forward structure could see Crameri come into contention too.
Late thought Taylor could spend some time forward if the MC decide to push games into Gardner at full back.
Great season coming up.

Firstly before I get onto the last question, thanks to all for getting involved... for those that have answered each question I will put together a mini interview type thing later on to be able to go through person by person as well

Tom Hawkins. We don’t have another key forward with any semblance of presence and don’t have another forward that’ll kick 50+ goals. He’s our focal point and we don’t have anyone who could fill his position adequately.

Q7. WHICH PLAYER DO YOU EXPECT TO "BREAK OUT" IF WE ARE TO GO ALL THE WAY THIS SEASON
I said Cockatoo last year, was crueled by injury. Should be him given a clear run.
Q8. ARE OUR STRUGGLES AWAY FROM KP OVERBLOWN OR CAUSE FOR GENUINE CONCERN?
Overblown on BF, fairly judged mostly elsewhere.

We are not a great side. We generally play poorer sides at KP. Our gameplan suits KP, no doubt. Better quality in September would expose us anywhere including KP.

Need to improve overall quality to win a flag, which is a seperate issue to the venue.
Q9. LOOKING BACK, WAS THE HARRY TAYLOR FORWARD EXPERIMENT A WORTHY VENTURE OR WASTE OF TIME?

you pick one ;)
No.

#GetHarryBack
Q10. WHO IS OUR MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER IN 2018, AND WHY?
Probably Hawkins because he’s structurally irreplaceable. We can’t win the flag without him.

Willo_, kept the most interesting question until last!

I know most will say Tom Hawkins, but Richmond showed a premiership can be won without a beast up forward. Besides, other than the 2011 GF I really can't remember the last time Hawkins destroyed an opposition.

So my money is on 2 players - Joel Selwood - because he is an inspirational captain who drags teammates with him, and he is one of the best midfiels engines, + Paddy Dangerfield, because of his line breaking powers and ability to play forward and tear a game apart.

Willo_, kept the most interesting question until last!

I know most will say Tom Hawkins, but Richmond showed a premiership can be won without a beast up forward. Besides, other than the 2011 GF I really can't remember the last time Hawkins destroyed an opposition.

Is that really true though? Riewoldt kicked more goals than Hawkins did. He may have been consistent more than dominant, but he was always a key component of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that really true though? Riewoldt kicked more goals than Hawkins did. He may have been consistent more than dominant, but he was always a key component of the team.
Riewoldt kicked 2 in the GF and was not in Richmond's best. He could have kicked 5 but didn't.

I think Sttew is more making the point about a role player can make it work as opposed to a star, that said Jack is a star... the last 2 premiership teams have shown that though.

For us, I think Hawk is simply too important, maybe if we get a good run with injury to our smalls it may change, but at this stage we are simply too reliant on Tom and what he brings to us

We should continue this indefinately. 1000 questions in a year.
I think you are really going to be stretching my question asking abilities here

I think you are really going to be stretching my question asking abilities here
sure you could. Questions are easy.

blue or white shorts? Blue. I question the taste of anyone who says white.

who was the better contested mark? Dangerfield or Gary Ablett senior. -Im undecided on this one. Need more evidence.

Will we be better in 1st qtrs or last qtrs this year? Q4 again for me.

Will we break our own record set last year for tallest ever team on the field? Controversial answer here but I think no.

Who will kick the second most goals for the club this year? Dangerfield.

Who is our best defensive mid option? I will go Cam Guthrie in a return to form.

Will Dean Gore play an afl game this year? No. he isnt on the list.

Who is our most important player this year after Tom Hawkins? Dangerfeld.

Who is our most important player after Hawkins and Dangerfield? Lachie Henderson. Oh sh***.

Will Dan predict a player other than Dan Menzel to kick most goals in a game this year in a game Menzel is playing? No.

See this stuff writes itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back