Remove this Banner Ad

2009 National Draft selection no. 17 - Geelong

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87080/default.aspx

MENZEL%20Daniel_draft_246_meetk.jpg

Height: 185cm
Weight: 77kg
DOB: 13/09/91
Recruited from: Golden Grove/Central District
Bio: Versatile running defender who performed well for SA at NAB AFL U18 Championships providing plenty of drive from defensive 50. Strong endurance and footy smarts are features.

Matt Burgan's draft rating: 12-35

In his own words
What type of player are you?
I am a versatile player and can play various roles and positions. I am a team player who brings others into the game.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Adam Goodes as I am able to play in a rage of positions and roles. I am athletic, have a good overhead mark and am able to read the play well.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Versatility, consistency, work ethic, persistence and discipline.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My tackling and using the left side of my body.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Adelaide. My family supports the Crows and I believe they are a well-drilled and coached outfit.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Charlie Gentilcore. A junior coach who helped develop my skills. As well as Grant Coffee, a Central Districts coach who has challenged me and given me a lot of time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87080/default.aspx

Re: Daniel Menzel to get the Rising Star nomination?

And here for your viewing pleasure.....

[YOUTUBE]Mojv-OOzyII[/YOUTUBE]

(Mods, you can move this to the Geelong youtube highlights thread after a while..)

Re: Daniel Menzel to get the Rising Star nomination?

Not just classy on the field but also very mature and articulate.

[youtube]Y4ZBQLibCiM[/youtube]

Re: Send your get well messages to Dan Menzel!!

GEELONG duo Allen Christensen and Mitch Duncan have dedicated the rest of their finals campaign to injured teammates Nathan Vardy and Daniel Menzel.

The four young guns have formed a strong bond and had hoped to all share the AFL finals experience they had worked so hard to achieve so early in their formative careers
http://www.gfc.com.au/tabid/3933/default.aspx?newsid=123416

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

I'll go again , here's Dan Menzel

Dan Menzel , Geelong Board player review 15/10/2011

Talking footy at work is nothing unusual. Like a car runs on petrol , worksites around Geelong seem to run on football. This week , while talking to a fellow Geelong supporter about trade week and other stuff , we started jawing about Daniel Menzel.

Now this guy I was talking to , his nickname is Melanoma. He is not a positive man old Mel , he can turn rays of sunshine into a cause for death , he can turning earning money into a tax problem and nearly every Geelong player can be and has been crap at times. Yet he really likes DM. He was just amazed at how dumb the other clubs were and how we got him at pick17?

Fair question, I reckon too, cause Dan is a standout footballer. Like Beehive oozes honey, Dan oozes class. It’s not as if he has that type of hidden talent that you see after many games of watching a guy play , this kid has plenty of bullets in the gun and enough style to make him standout on a runway.

I had to think , who the heck was in that draft? So I looked it up.
From the top , Scully, Trengove, Martin , Morabito and Cunnington.
Then Rohan Sheppard , Butcher , Moore and Melksham to round out the top ten.
Then Gysberts, Lucus, Talia, Jetta, Howard and Pittard at 16

Now , while some are obviously more long term picks than others , I do have to wonder how he got to us. Scully, Trengove and Martin are all guns. One can argue about there order but they are 1,2,3. But after that it’s a bit more grey. The thing that’s glaring is Port Adelaide had 3 picks before us. 3 Picks and 2 Victorian kids in them. Ouch.

Looking back at his nationals he was used a floating back , perhaps SA were trying to utilize his kicking while others like Trengove was used on the ball. Fair enough I suppose. I’m certainly glad they did cause if he’d gone forward and kicked a bag I doubt he would have been 17.Perhaps we wasn’t 100% fit. When he came to Geelong they found an OP issue that they were not really aware of. Good luck for us.

Anyway , my mate Mel , he saw him play a game last year in the VFL. A game on TV , and said “you could see straight away , the kid had something”.
And he was right. That game he was running on the flank and did a nice little head fake , crossover move leaving that left the defender looking glued to the ground. It showed his agility was a great asset. One of many we now know he has. He went on to play 3 games last year and showed in those 3 that he was bright light for the Cats future.

This year, he had a classic break out year. Talk about bright light. Nothing makes a sign standout like a big chunk of Neon but for footy players , playing well against the reigning Premiers on the MCG is the way to get noticed. His 5 goals in R24 had him locked in for his first Final Series , add that to doing Swan cold in the first game in a 1o1 and he was lighting up the G in the way Neon never does.

Then in F1 V Hawks, he kicks our first 2 goals. The first was nothing but a gift for being in the right place, right time but the second was so telling. We at Geelong do tend to waste our forward entries a bit, no one on this site needs a reminder about wasting forward entries against Hawthorn and in the first game of the finals were starting down the same path while Franklin was looking dangerous. So when he took the mark , a very nice 1o1 , and went back to have his setshot it showed this boy of 21 games has a Bartel like confidence in his own ability. Thru the ball went and away the Cats went too.

The shame was the knee. A huge disappointment and certainly then a little worrying. Not just about his future but for our finals. This kid was giving us that medium forward impact that SJ was not and him going down was not ideal. To me , this says plenty about Dan. So very quickly he has become a must pick
Has a leap that sooner or later will give him a West like specy. He has those sneaky game vibe that means he can quite often dance his way thru trouble and can use it on occasion to score a ground goal. And of course he is a beautiful setshot.

What does the future hold? Well plenty. Short term the kid will probably hit the gym while out with his knee and long,long term he has the ability to play key forward. For now , he just needs to get right so he can bounce back late in 2012. If his mission at the start of the year was to become a must pick he should consider this year a success, even though it probably has slightly bitter taste to it.

Well done on very good 2nd year Dan Menzel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back