Autopsy 10 goal loss to the Pies - Rd 11, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mundy definitely tries to play an attacking style. Looks inboard. Backs his skills.

We had this guy named Stephen Hill who use to do wonderful things with the ball. Sure he's been injured but it seems his first instinct is to now chip it sideways.

That's like asking Warner to block out a maiden when the 6th change bowler comes on in the 60th over.

Yeah I've wondered about that. Has he been carrying a leg niggle that's robbed him of penetration on his kicking? His ability to hit targets at range was what made him special. We really need him to get that back.

Will be a while before the kids have that level of confidence, and also the strength to burst out of packs. Crowden will likely get there first.

What's more likely is that Logue comes back, and we put Blakely in the middle as Mundy v2

Don't know if he'll ever get there but if Logue could transition into an inside mid role as well him, Blakely and Fyfe would make quite a fearsome trio.

Don't know if he'll ever get there but if Logue could transition into an inside mid role as well him, Blakely and Fyfe would make quite a fearsome trio.

Yeah that's the unknown. He has the athletic profile to burst through at speed, I guess it's just the smarts around the ball that i'm unsure about. Having him running off half back always seems like the safer role for him. If he ever did make it as a big bodied mid we'd have a few guys that could burst through traffic #hereshoping

If the AFL wasn't such a grubby money driven organisation, all fans not just those paying ******* Telstra would have access to advanced stats and a heap of down the ground vision...which would illustrate running patterns

What you say is most likely correct, but could be compounded by lack of experience and/or run, lack of confidence, lack of personnel.

Brad Hill and Taberner are missing.
Two of the link guys who demand the ball and are elite runners capable of blowing up their opponents.
The can create, take marks but also create space in front and behind.
I mean if you're kicking to Taberner you have some confidence now that a kick to a slight advantage will get taken, you have confidence to kick to a one on one.
Not so McCarthy, or Cox. Cox is a better contested mark but still demonstrating butter fingers.

Guys like Crowden and Cerra would take that risky pass in the 18's.
Now less so, as they're getting used to the pace of the opposition in tackling them, but also how fast the players can move to intercept.
The best teams are running with confidence, kicking with more risk etc...

Lot of the young guys are wondering where they're supposed to run to receive the ball...we've got two elite runners in Crowden and Giro. Both running 15km + per game...getting 10-15 touches only.
That's surely inexperience

Contrast Hogan and McCarthy? If Hogan spills the ball, he has a good chance of getting it back when it hits the deck, he's quick and agile and nimble below his knees...Cam not so much

Yeah broadly agree. Never seen a player work harder away from the ball than B.Hill. Combine with Tabs and it makes it hard, Tabs has a good field kick too. However i'm not sure we'll see Tabs again this year.

Cam... kind of disagree. I tried to play watch for Cam for a fair bit of that game. Weirdly enough you often spot him on the bottom of a pack at the HFF fighting for the ball. Why is he there? I can't remember the number of times we tried to hit him up on a lead on Sunday, but it was somewhere between * all and once or twice I can't remember. What is going on there? I don't know. Why is Neale one out as the deepest forward rather than Cam? Again, not sure. I'd like to see what's going on live.

Agree an all the kids. It is getting used to the pace and having that confidence that will help.

Mundy definitely tries to play an attacking style. Looks inboard. Backs his skills.

We had this guy named Stephen Hill who use to do wonderful things with the ball. Sure he's been injured but it seems his first instinct is to now chip it sideways.

That's like asking Warner to block out a maiden when the 6th change bowler comes on in the 60th over.

S.Hill has frankly been cooked since he injured himself mid last year. I can't remember a good game he's had since the Bulldogs win that year. Maybe that's exaggerating because of the general shitness since then, but still, i'd almost advocate for him to build match fitness at Peel for a couple of weeks and go full slow burn on him.

I think one problem there is that we occasionally throw him at half back, where he is toilet. That needs to be a focus for us, be it trying to pull a gem out of the Logue/Hughes/Nyhuis/Duman sack of potatoes or drafting/recruiting for that position next year.

Yeah broadly agree. Never seen a player work harder away from the ball than B.Hill. Combine with Tabs and it makes it hard, Tabs has a good field kick too. However i'm not sure we'll see Tabs again this year.

Cam... kind of disagree. I tried to play watch for Cam for a fair bit of that game. Weirdly enough you often spot him on the bottom of a pack at the HFF fighting for the ball. Why is he there? I can't remember the number of times we tried to hit him up on a lead on Sunday, but it was somewhere between **** all and once or twice I can't remember. What is going on there? I don't know. Why is Neale one out as the deepest forward rather than Cam? Again, not sure. I'd like to see what's going on live.

Agree an all the kids. It is getting used to the pace and having that confidence that will help.

S.Hill has frankly been cooked since he injured himself mid last year. I can't remember a good game he's had since the Bulldogs win that year. Maybe that's exaggerating because of the general shitness since then, but still, i'd almost advocate for him to build match fitness at Peel for a couple of weeks and go full slow burn on him.

I think one problem there is that we occasionally throw him at half back, where he is toilet. That needs to be a focus for us, be it trying to pull a gem out of the Logue/Hughes/Nyhuis/Duman sack of potatoes or drafting/recruiting for that position next year.

Neale 1 out might have been a response to him not being able to run

That is when we will know we are utterly screwed - play two top 5 picks and a bunch of other kids all season and get no nominations.

After Sean Darcy was somehow overlooked last year I give no shits about RS noms anymore, it's all political afaic. I'm happy with how AB and Cerra are tracking even if they're not getting token recognition from eastern states floggos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Sean Darcy was somehow overlooked last year I give no shits about RS noms anymore, it's all political afaic. I'm happy with how AB and Cerra are tracking even if they're not getting token recognition from eastern states floggos.

Well the thing is none of our eligible players have deserved a nomination yet, eastern states flogs or not. If we get to round 23 and that's the case, I'll be concerned.

AB's kicking would want to improve. A De Boer clone we do not need at pick 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well the thing is none of our eligible players have deserved a nomination yet, eastern states flogs or not. If we get to round 23 and that's the case, I'll be concerned.
Yeah - politics aside, that's kinda where I was getting at. None of ours have really come close to deserving a nom yet.

Do the kids need to be in a high performing team surrounded by mature team mates to get a fair crack (ie can play to their strengths)? Wonder what the average ages of the teams for each one or if they just arbitrary look at the stats and ignore everone outside of Victoria.

Shows where our list is at if we cant get a nomination after playing so many kids.

Surely one of Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Duman, Cox, Giro, Crowden, Logue, Darcy can get one by years end.

We should really start to see a few nominations by process of elimination of those who have already received one.

Shows where our list is at if we cant get a nomination after playing so many kids.

Surely one of Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Duman, Cox, Giro, Crowden, Logue, Darcy can get one by years end.

We should really start to see a few nominations by process of elimination of those who have already received one.

It helps being in a winning team and being surrounded by class.

To put it in perspective Rising star noms are not the be all and end all.We have with our injuries asked too much of these kids, Our list management of all old or all young is a bit bewildering, Very poor management in my opinion.Sydney are a good example of blending the old with the new .

A bit of perspective, aside from Stephenson, Ronke (21yo Rookie) and Ed Richards, all other nominees are in their 2nd or 3rd years.

IMO they are playing as well as you would expect teenagers in the AFL and I am happy with their progress. I rather they play their 20ish games this year and miss out on nomination all together, then get a nomination in their 2nd/3rd year like most trends of nominees.

Rising star noms - Don't care, I'm comfortable with the quality of our rookies this year. Grest crop with Brayshaw, Cerra and Banfield likely to be 200 gamers.

Forwards - midfield got belted, yet there is surprise that the forwards struggled?

Put 2 Hills back in the side and Tabs and I'm sure the general optimism of our performances will improve.

Young players fall off structures and lack the fitness to compete for 4 quarters. They will have good days and bad days.

That is when we will know we are utterly screwed - play two top 5 picks and a bunch of other kids all season and get no nominations.

To be fair - the only player drafted in the top 10 last year who has received a nomination so far is Stephenson from Collingwood (pick 6).

Read on the main board (low source is low) that Paul Roos on the radio roasted Lachie Neale during last weeks game. Something along the lines of 'never accountable for his man, defensively lazy player'. Anyone happen to catch this? Interesting comments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back