Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Couldn't they open his skull like the movies and put a bracket or 2 in there to hold the old brain steady?

That wouldn't help - the foam solution is better

Recall: Net Force = mass x acceleration.

We cannot alter the mass of his brain (or can we?), so for a given strength of contact the only variable we have to play with is acceleration

Recall: Acceleration = change in velocity over time
  • With your brackets, (and without them in the base case) The soft brain hitting the more or less immovable skull, the time from full brain velocity to stopping is nearly instantaneous, so the acceleration, and thus the net force is very high - side note - its why driving your car into a big tree is so deadly
  • Foam would increase the distance and time over which the change in velocity occurred, resulting in a lower acceleration value, less force and less hurt
Thats why I think soft helmets help a little bit, but yo really need one between the skull and the brain as well

What I dont understand is - given the whole head itself has a big mass, you would think he would have more neck injuries

We cannot alter the mass of his brain (or can we?), so for a given strength of contact the only variable we have to play with is acceleration

• With your brackets, (and without them in the base case) The soft brain hitting the more or less immovable skull, the time from full brain velocity to stopping is nearly instantaneous, so the acceleration, and thus the net force is very high - side note - its why driving your car into a big tree is so deadly
  • Foam would increase the distance and time over which the change in velocity occurred, resulting in a lower acceleration value, less force and less hurt
Thats why I think soft helmets help a little bit, but yo really need one between the skull and the brain as well

What I dont understand is - given the whole head itself has a big mass, you would think he would have more neck injuries
Sounds scientific enough, I'm in

I was thinking more so his brain was enclosed inside a shield and then 4 metal arms came out and were bracketed to his skull meaning that the brain moves with the skull and never hits anything.

I was thinking more so his brain was enclosed inside a shield and then 4 metal arms came out and were bracketed to his skull meaning that the brain moves with the skull and never hits anything.

That's what i had in mind from your description - the problem is that would still result in instantaneous (de) acceleartion (just against the encasement you describe) Foam or some sort of soft compressible material is the answer. If its the chemicals and non organic nature of it you are worried about - you seem like a bit of a hippy - we can use a hemp based material!

That's what i had in mind from your description - the problem is that would still result in instantaneous (de) acceleartion (just against the encasement you describe) Foam or some sort of soft compressible material is the answer. If its the chemicals and non organic nature of it you are worried about - you seem like a bit of a hippy - we can use a hemp based material!

Maybe we put the brackets on compression springs.... basically act as inertial dampeners?

I still don't understand why we can't drill a hole in the ol' cranium and fill it up with liquid foam to prevent the skull from rattling around

With cases like this I find it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Does anyone know where Brayshaw sleeps?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-18/demon-angus-brayshaw-to-return-in-vfl-after-concussions

During his time on the sidelines, Melbourne's coaching staff took the opportunity to teach and work with him on his technique when approaching contests.

They found that Brayshaw was predisposed to leading with his head and they have been trying to alter his approach to ensure he leads more with his body to absorb the contact coming his way.

That fundamental type of training has been a process that has taken place across the past five weeks, with specific one-on-one tutelage.
A adjustment to his technique - not just a helmet. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just look at the way someone like Hodge attacks the ball - absolutely perfect technique. Lot of kids coming in these days don't protect themselves properly.
If not already, you'd think that it's going to something that will be taught by TAC Cup clubs as a prerequisite soon enough.

If not already, you'd think that it's going to something that will be taught by TAC Cup clubs as a prerequisite soon enough.

They used to teach it in juniors. I'm still in my mid 20s and I know how to attack the ball correctly, I think a lot of kids are watching the high tackle phenomenon and trying to imitate it which causes very bad habits.

No coincidences Tom Lynch had a lot of concussion issues because he literally used to charge head first at the ball.

Just look at the way someone like Hodge attacks the ball - absolutely perfect technique. Lot of kids coming in these days don't protect themselves properly.

AFL created the problem by going way over the top in awarding high free kicks and it became an advantage to lead with your head.

Even when I used to play if you saw a bloke coming at the ball the same time as you you automatically braced with your shoulder and you would come together. Now blokes just assume they will be protected and don't even bother. McCartins in the VFL was the perfect example of a kid with horrible technique. They called him brave but it was just stupid.

Thanks Bleasey. Hope your headaches have subsided after all those knocks over the years ;)

Speaking of Brayshaws neck, in one of the articles about him returning they were talking about how he has done strength training for his neck so that his nogan doesn't ricochet around as much.

Speaking of Brayshaws neck, in one of the articles about him returning they were talking about how he has done strength training for his neck so that his nogan doesn't ricochet around as much.
Oh that's great news - that big head mass penduluming around all the time like an orange in a sock was just increasing the impact between brain and scull

Its that kind of outside the square thinking that MFC really need on their medical team :thumbsu: I worked up the start of a theory involving springs, furry forest animals and gaffa tape but it wasn't nearly as good as yours

giphy.gif

Prototype of the headgear he'll be wearing this weekend :p

In all seriousness, I hope he smashes it on his return.

Its that kind of outside the square thinking that MFC really need on their medical team :thumbsu: I worked up the start of a theory involving springs, furry forest animals and gaffa tape but it wasn't nearly as good as yours

I say we meet in the middle and you can design the shield around his brain to look like a rabbit or giraffe. You could glue on little furry ears

Remove this Banner Ad

Back