Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
The Melksham/Brayshaw switch up looks the goods early.
haha, just started typing exactly this. Pretty sure most of us were calling for them to swap - or actually, it might have been for Melksham to go to the VFL and Brayshaw to play his half back role, but this way works much better.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I was genuinely worried his career was over or close too but he came back and was just awesome at HB. I always wanted to see him play there and he should stay there the rest of his career with his marking ability. His use of both feet means he won't be predictable leaving the d50 like Salem and Hib

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
All these bumps on player threads are scaring the s**t out of me.

Same thing on Essendon's board and mainly it's the same players and their issues.

Hope Angus is over any head issues.

Laughably been questioned a bit lately around here this bloke - now with a bit of match fitness and confidence in himself (and his scone), is looking like the player we drafted him to be. Bit of humble pie to be eaten by those thinking he wasn't up to it here. Kids a jet.
Touch as nails, beautiful kick both sides, smart decision maker. Love him.

Laughably been questioned a bit lately around here this bloke - now with a bit of match fitness and confidence in himself (and his scone), is looking like the player we drafted him to be. Bit of humble pie to be eaten by those thinking he wasn't up to it here. Kids a jet.
Touch as nails, beautiful kick both sides, smart decision maker. Love him.
Would be better if he looked up before kicking the ball, but yeah he’s coming along nicely. Needs to string a few big games together to shake all the doubters

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Would be better if he looked up before kicking the ball, but yeah he’s coming along nicely. Needs to string a few big games together to shake all the doubters

His first half kicking was terrible. Needs to stop being so cute with his kicks and actually put them onto blokes chests.

His first half kicking was terrible. Needs to stop being so cute with his kicks and actually put them onto blokes chests.
Had 8 inside 50s and I reckon at least half of those were poxy. Along with Tyson he’s our worst culprit for turning it over going forward

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Had 8 inside 50s and I reckon at least half of those were poxy. Along with Tyson he’s our worst culprit for turning it over going forward

Atleast gus is dual sided, Tyson is a predictable hacker. I don't think gus is a horrible kick by any means but I think as schmuttt said he tries to kick it like Sam Mitchell when he should just aim to hit a target first.

Definitely goes with his left perhaps more often than he should because whilst it's good, he still mis-hits a few but to watch live, his attack on the pill and disregard for himself before winning it then showing some poise not to blaze or handball to a bloke in just as s**t a position is good. By years end I reckon we'll be singing his praises.

I was genuinely worried his career was over or close too but he came back and was just awesome at HB. I always wanted to see him play there and he should stay there the rest of his career with his marking ability. His use of both feet means he won't be predictable leaving the d50 like Salem and Hib
August 2017. Flips like a pancake this fella

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's kind of got that slow-mo look about him sometimes, where everything stands still and even he can't believe it and tends to stuff it up himself (like when he went for the run and bounce through the middle and fluffed it?)

Looks like he's getting his confidence back in his body and skull, some of the physical efforts from him to throw himself at the man/contest/ball were incredible from a guy his size. He's a really strange player to watch though, makes the easy look impossible sometimes and the impossible look easy, hopefully with more match experience and continuity he can iron out some of those sloppy passes and strange decisions

Has a lot going for him though, and between the top 3 picks from 2014 on the ground on Sunday he looked the most capable - I never thought he'd become such a strong clearance player like what he's shown the last two weeks, albeit against some pretty horrible midfield opponents

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's kind of got that slow-mo look about him sometimes, where everything stands still and even he can't believe it and tends to stuff it up himself (like when he went for the run and bounce through the middle and fluffed it?)
Said it in the game day thread. When he moves through traffic it's reminiscent of Robert Harvey. Players just melt off him

Two of his first quarter kicks were straight turnovers, but he tightened up from then. Totally agree with the sometimes tries to be too cute thing. Just kick the bloody ball - use Melksham as an example here.

Back