Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. I feel like it goes without saying, but if you're an opposition (Collingwood) fan looking to come over and get into a fight about Maynard's bump/tribunal case (again), go elsewhere.

No more warnings, cards will be handed out. Please read the room.

Gonna play devil's advocate here. When do we start to worry about Gus' disposal by foot? Noticed it a lot against Adelaide and had some howlers again today against the Doggies.

He's still offering more than Tyson though.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Your name did make me laugh.

Definitely something he needs to clean up, im hoping they spend some time with him working on his technique

Most of the time his disposal is fine but then there's always a handful of absolute howlers among them. Needs to clean it up but could be a mostly mental thing that will improve with a consistent string of games this year.

Gonna play devil's advocate here. When do we start to worry about Gus' disposal by foot? Noticed it a lot against Adelaide and had some howlers again today against the Doggies.

He’s brilliant by foot. Sometimes tries too much, that’s decision making, not kicking. He’s a fantastic kick. Nothing to see here!

He’s brilliant by foot. Sometimes tries too much, that’s decision making, not kicking. He’s a fantastic kick. Nothing to see here!
Of course he's brilliant by foot. I'd argue the vast majority of AFL listed players are amazing kicks, in ideal circumstances. If it's a decision making or mental problem then it means his kicks aren't effective and he's not a brilliant kick in match day conditions.

The fact is he's turning the ball over when there isn't much pressure and in dangerous places.

39 touches today is nothing to scoff at. A good sign for the club is they were mainly uncontested meaning he's excelling as the outside midfielder we've been craving. But if he's going to play that role, he needs to be clean with his disposal.

Lyon was right today on commentary -- it's laziness, or maybe more accurately not doing absolutely everything to put yourself in the best position to execute. He is technically a great kick, but even the best kicks in the game are going to turn it over if they always kick off one step, swing their foot across their body rather than taking the time to straighten up, etc. These are things that are fine when in tight but inexcusable when you have time and space.

I do think it's something that should be pretty easy to improve though. And he has shown that he can take things on board from the coaches and get it right, so I'm optimistic it will improve and hopefully in the short term.

Of course he's brilliant by foot. I'd argue the vast majority of AFL listed players are amazing kicks, in ideal circumstances. If it's a decision making or mental problem then it means his kicks aren't effective and he's not a brilliant kick in match day conditions.

The fact is he's turning the ball over when there isn't much pressure and in dangerous places.

39 touches today is nothing to scoff at. A good sign for the club is they were mainly uncontested meaning he's excelling as the outside midfielder we've been craving. But if he's going to play that role, he needs to be clean with his disposal.

Sorry Capt, I fundamentally disagree. I think he’s a really good kick and more often than not is capable of pulling off more difficult kicks than the average AFL player. I definitely agree that he has a few stinkers when he, in my opinion, gets a bit cute with it because he knows how good he is. But I think it’s nowehere near being a problem.

Sorry Capt, I fundamentally disagree. I think he’s a really good kick and more often than not is capable of pulling off more difficult kicks than the average AFL player. I definitely agree that he has a few stinkers when he, in my opinion, gets a bit cute with it because he knows how good he is. But I think it’s nowehere near being a problem.
I'll meet you half way and say he's an unreliable kick. The gap between his best and worst is very large. I can't call him a good kick when the ball doesn't go where he wants it to go. Fundamentally simple truth there.

He wasn't even that good today tbh, look tired and kept grumbling when he wasn't being subbed. He was still everywhere though. Make no mistake, he's as big a part of this run of form as anyone else on the list. Star.

Has had a great month but needs to be reminded to stop being so lazy with his kicking. Cost us at least 4 shots on goal with awful turnovers today, too often he either just blazed into a 1 on 4 or tried to be way too cute.

I'll meet you half way and say he's an unreliable kick. The gap between his best and worst is very large. I can't call him a good kick when the ball doesn't go where he wants it to go. Fundamentally simple truth there.

Except that I would argue that most of the time it does, that’s where we differ the most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was shattered when he scrubbed the kick to Jones in the forward 50 within the last two minutes of the game. The whole team worked so hard to get Chunk a shot on goal to finish off the game. Gus just kicked it lazily and mucked the whole thing up.

Except that I would argue that most of the time it does, that’s where we differ the most.
You're not wrong on that point. My concern is this lack of effort on occasions is acceptable now. But if he doesn't improve it, it's the type of problem which over time infuriates coaches and stalls careers.

It's laziness pure and simple. Kicks too often on his left when he has time to straighten and use his right. Complacency call it. It'll fix as he matures

The more he uses his left the better it will get, so I have no issue with it, he still developing as a player

I don't think his disposal is a worry. Being dual footed is a HUGE advantage in clearance situations and he's bound to fluff a few when he gets it so many times. Even Hibberd turned a few over yesterday.

Just to clarify, I don't think he's an elite kick or anything, but he's not at Tyson levels.

On the subject of Brayshaw - his helmet somehow suits him. I mean he still looks like Gus.

Caleb Daniel gets lost in his helmet somehow - if he wasn’t wearing it I would pass him in the street unrecognised, but Gus remains quintessentially Gus with or without the helmet.

Thanks board. Post ends here. Please stay tuned for my piercing footy observations over the coming week. I’ll get poached by Channel 7 for expert comments if I can maintain this kind of form.

Any chance Brayshaw moves back to defence now with lever out? Or has he cemented that wing role?
Probably stays where is, can't see Goody wanting to change the midfield setup if it's working well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back