Senior 10. Harry McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope, stats were probably a little better prior to being dropped. Playing in the mud getting thumped by 10 goals in the twos aint good for a key forward's development.
The mail was he wasn’t hitting his marks in terms of work rate, leading patterns etc, which I suspect at his age might be as important as marks and goals. Anyway, whatever has happened, he’s great and I can’t wait to see what he’s become by 2020-2021

Wasted some of his year by dropping him......ridiculous stuff. Could be anything.
agreed. just crazy to think that he was intentionally rested on more than one occasion.
we all said at the beginning of the year that he MUST play at every possible opportunity.

well i think our point has been well and truly made for once and for all

Wasted some of his year by dropping him......ridiculous stuff. Could be anything.

This won’t be a popular opinion, but I agree that Harry spent too much time in the VFL this year and last year. I could understand being rested or dropped after the Geelong game to recharge the batteries, as he looked lethargic, which could have been due to illness coming on. But he should have been brought strait back in once ready, not forced to play in those two games mid season against Collingwood and Footscray in the VFL.

How Phillips was picked ahead of him for the Brisbane game is staggering. Harry wasn’t picked for the Brisbane game (allegedly due to not meeting kpi’s), yet despite not playing in the VFL that week due to being the travelling emergency up in Brisbane, gets picked in the seniors the next week? How did he manage to meeet these “KPI’s” by sitting on his backside in Brisbane? He was either meeting them and in the seniors for that Brisbane game ahead of Phillips, or not meeting them and should have been out of the seniors the next week as well.

What would have happened to Harry if Phillips didn’t rip his hammy against Brisbane or Casboult didn’t hurt his hand? Harry would have been getting the Jaksch treatment in the VFL I’m sure. We are very fortunate that those injuries meant the match committee had to overlook those “kpi’s” and pick him in the seniors. Anybody who watched him in the VFL knew it was a waste of time that wasn’t going to teach him anything.

He's an absolute Tom Lynch clone. He's got so much athleticism, and is just starting to develop the strength (and self-belief) to dominate his opponent.

Not unreasonable to suggest he'll be as good as, if not better than Charlie, and has arguably had a better second half to the season.

He's still only 20! Massive future, and so exciting to have two future key position stars on our list.

We may start using McKays name in the conversation with Hipwoods, all being well. I didn't think that may have come about so soon.
Hipwood did get the jump start in his career having played 51 games against McKay's 15, but Harry sure is catching up quickly.

Even at this early stage I'm glad SOS 'lucked-out' with Weideman having been taken one pick ahead of Harry. Reckon SOS may be happy too.

We may start using McKays name in the conversation with Hipwoods, all being well. I didn't think that may have come about so soon.
Hipwood did get the jump start in his career having played 51 games against McKay's 15, but Harry sure is catching up quickly.

Even at this early stage I'm glad SOS 'lucked-out' with Weideman having been taken one pick ahead of Harry. Reckon SOS may be happy too.

Could it be our development is better than the Demons, maybe, maybe not, but Harry has certainly started to show what he can end up being

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be our development is better than the Demons, maybe, maybe not, but Harry has certainly started to show what he can end up being

I watch a lot of VFL and Weidemann looks good in the VFL, better than Harry has. It helps that Casey are a strong team, with quick and slick ball movement into the forward half.

Harry is a much better athlete than Weidemann is and Harry has the extre 4cm’s that helps him to outreach the pack at AFL level. Weidemann seems to have Matty Watson like speed and can’t create separation which will hurt him at AFL level.

I watch a lot of VFL and Weidemann looks good in the VFL, better than Harry has. It helps that Casey are a strong team, with quick and slick ball movement into the forward half.

Harry is a much better athlete than Weidemann is and Harry has the extre 4cm’s that helps him to outreach the pack at AFL level. Weidemann seems to have Matty Watson like speed and can’t create separation which will hurt him at AFL level.

I watched Weideman closely a couple of weeks ago and he reminded me of a Josh Walker in the making.
He got his kicks and kicked a couple of goals, looked sort of OK, but the urgency levels were disappointing low.
He's very young as well but right now I'd take 1 McKay over 2 Weidemans.

Anyway, now that the big media question "Why isn't Harry McKay playing?" is dead, I'm sure he'll again become that waste-of-a-pick player. :)

Has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen this year and that says something.

What has happened is that Bolton & Co have been proved correct. McKay had to get a block of training under him and meet some KPI's like others. He missed a heap of training and when people were calling for him to play he was actaully fighting a bad dose of the flu which effected him for weeks. When he got back in he was better prepared and it showed. IMO that's good development

No they haven't been proved correct at all they've been proven wrong. He was well worth his spot and is playing at the same level as prior to being dropped. I can recall Bolton still criticised him for his defensive side a few weeks back in a presser after he'd played a great game so no I don't buy into the Bolton apologists excuses, he is the same player, Bolton himself said so. He obviously isn't meeting his defensive KPIs at all. You should never assume, makes you look 'ridiculous'.

This won’t be a popular opinion, but I agree that Harry spent too much time in the VFL this year and last year. I could understand being rested or dropped after the Geelong game to recharge the batteries, as he looked lethargic, which could have been due to illness coming on. But he should have been brought strait back in once ready, not forced to play in those two games mid season against Collingwood and Footscray in the VFL.

How Phillips was picked ahead of him for the Brisbane game is staggering. Harry wasn’t picked for the Brisbane game (allegedly due to not meeting kpi’s), yet despite not playing in the VFL that week due to being the travelling emergency up in Brisbane, gets picked in the seniors the next week? How did he manage to meeet these “KPI’s” by sitting on his backside in Brisbane? He was either meeting them and in the seniors for that Brisbane game ahead of Phillips, or not meeting them and should have been out of the seniors the next week as well.

What would have happened to Harry if Phillips didn’t rip his hammy against Brisbane or Casboult didn’t hurt his hand? Harry would have been getting the Jaksch treatment in the VFL I’m sure. We are very fortunate that those injuries meant the match committee had to overlook those “kpi’s” and pick him in the seniors. Anybody who watched him in the VFL knew it was a waste of time that wasn’t going to teach him anything.

There were no KPIs that's just club rubbish to cover themselves. He was played when even the media started to point out how ridiculous it was that he couldn't get a game. Lo and behold he met those KPIs without playing another game. Amazing stuff i guess he does have a touch of magic about him.

No they haven't been proved correct at all they've been proven wrong. He was well worth his spot and is playing at the same level as prior to being dropped. I can recall Bolton still criticised him for his defensive side a few weeks back in a presser after he'd played a great game so no I don't buy into the Bolton apologists excuses, he is the same player, Bolton himself said so. He obviously isn't meeting his defensive KPIs at all. You should never assume, makes you look 'ridiculous'.

? WOW. Are you making stuff up? Doesn't even address any of my points.

Where did I say it was "defensive KPI's"?
Where did I say he's a "different player"?
What have I "assumed" anything?

There were no KPIs that's just club rubbish to cover themselves. He was played when even the media started to point out how ridiculous it was that he couldn't get a game. Lo and behold he met those KPIs without playing another game. Amazing stuff i guess he does have a touch of magic about him.

I promise you there are KPI's for each young player and I know that for a FACT and they aren't about game day.

Do you know what the KPI's were? You seem to be assuming they are about what happens in games

? WOW. Are you making stuff up? Doesn't even address any of my points.

Where did I say it was "defensive KPI's"?
Where did I say he's a "different player"?
What have I "assumed" anything?

You are saying he had KPIs to address and he is playing now after he addressed them. You are saying he wasn't playing when people were calling for him tom play because he had the flu yet he was playing in the twos. More rubbish.

No matter what slant you put on it, he was playing well when dropped and is playing no better now. So my point is there was zero justification for dropping him. Spin it whichever way you want, it was a complete waste of time and the only reason he finally got back in was because the media started to question why he wasn't playing. Simple as that.

You are saying he had KPIs to address and he is playing now after he addressed them.

You are saying he wasn't playing when people were calling for him tom play because he had the flu yet he was playing in the twos. More rubbish.

No matter what slant you put on it, he was playing well when dropped and is playing no better now. So my point is there was zero justification for dropping him. Spin it whichever way you want, it was a complete waste of time and the only reason he finally got back in was because the media started to question why he wasn't playing. Simple as that.

You haven't addressed my comments so it's obvious you are making things up.

1. Yes. He had KPI's to address which he did
2. He missed some key training sessions so wasn't selected. No young players will be selected if they can't train in the weeks main sessions. Much like Dow this week.
3. There is no spin only facts. I also believe he is playing better now since he came back in. Especially working both ways

No spin at all. I can tell you with all certainty that I am telling you actual facts. Yours seem to be assumptions so you can criticise Bolton

Last edited:
You are saying he had KPIs to address and he is playing now after he addressed them. You are saying he wasn't playing when people were calling for him tom play because he had the flu yet he was playing in the twos. More rubbish.

Oh WOW!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back