Senior 10. Harry McKay

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching has held him back. Not for much longer from what I hear.

What do you mean from what you hear SMTM?

I don't see that coaching his held him back either.
Maybe for a few games this year if you want to pin that on Bolton, but injury and lack of pre-season seems to have held more weight in McKays progress.

Remember that Harry is still 20. A growing 20 year old that has had substantial injuries in his short time with us.

Going missing. That was what frustrated me when McKay was playing pre-drop. Seemed to be satisfied with his 2-3 goals and then would be so poor at half of the contests that opposition were taking clean grabs 1-on-1 and creating instant rebound.

Since returning, my only criticism is his lack of forward pressure. However his contests are a MASSIVE improvement. He's even spoiled a few times which is something that shows he understands that his role is to kick goals AND create opportunities for the team.

Those thinking it's just about more playing time are missing it. He had an attitude problem and he's come out the other side a changed man. Props to him, I think he'll be a gun.

Him and Curnow for the next 10 years - yes please!
110%

Especially to that last line!

Around three weeks ago. I can't remember exactly as I was overseas. I definitely remember the comment though. Shocked me. How could you possibly publicly criticise him after he'd played such a great game. Wouldn't do it to any other kid in the side. I can't hack coaches with double standards. Almost felt as if he had to throw the comment in to justify not playing him earlier in the year which I might add he only relented when the media put pressure on him.

Quite funny when asked in an interview around a month ago what the coach says to him more often than not his answer was 'you're playing in the twos this week Harry'. Speaks volumes.

I will go back and listen to each post match from the last 5 weeks and let you know.

Yes, great thing about him and charlie is they are ideal link up players. That's why I'm quite keen on Lukousius if we keep pick 1 as we can always have 1 of them operating as a link-man ala Nick Riewoldt if we need.

P.s. this is why I am so against the proposed McGovern trade. Lukousius vs McGovern - wtf not even close!

3-4 decent midfielders ASAP or whole rebuild is at risk - 2017 and 2018 have demonstrated this over and over and over again.

WOW. You are so far off the real story it's ridiculous. Not one thing you have brought up is fact. Not even close. Just making stuff up
This poster is part of the sack Bolton 'crew' who, as you have rightly pointed out, are making stuff up to support their case. They are behaving a bit like politicians, relying on convincing those who don't have time to do their own research that their lies are actual facts. When asked to provide facts, they are unable to do so.

Ill compare him to a Josh Kennedy and you see how he started out and then grew into. It took Kennedy about 4 seasons to kick over 30 goals. In his 2 seasons at Carlton he barely plunked any marks and was just too light to do any damage.

Harry this year has been clunking some good pack marks and kicking multiple goals in half his games this year. Easily got more out him than expected this year (except the number of games - would have been nice to have played around 18 this year). All this in a side that doesn't score much. Hopefully in 2-3 years time with more preseasons in the gym he could be a real handful along with Charlie.

It was in the after match press conference, someone mentioned to Bolton how well Harry played and instead of praising the young lad Bolton's response was that he was poor defensively. Sounds like I'm not the only one with an axe.....

Around three weeks ago. I can't remember exactly as I was overseas. I definitely remember the comment though. Shocked me. How could you possibly publicly criticise him after he'd played such a great game. Wouldn't do it to any other kid in the side. I can't hack coaches with double standards. Almost felt as if he had to throw the comment in to justify not playing him earlier in the year which I might add he only relented when the media put pressure on him.

Okay I have gone back, This from round 20 against GWS, 30 seconds in

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/20/carl-v-gws

" Got to do a bit of work on his set shots, but he did kick a few as well. That's probably the best output we have seen from Harry this year, but it's no secret he has had continuity of games and no injuries. So you can see his agility and marking power. Still has a lot of work to do on his defensive game Johnny, a heap to do in fact, but some of his contested work and agility, I think we can see we have got a player there and when Charlie is up and about, their going to be hard to stop in time"

So I guess you were just selective with "instead of praising the young lad Bolton's response was that he was poor defensively" I call that balanced and honest, spoke about the things that he did well and the areas he needs to work on.

"Wouldn't do it to any other kid in the side". Every post match, he has spoken about what players have done well and what they have to work on, absolutely consistent across the board

Like this from round 18 about SPS, 3:15 in

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2018-07-22/postmatch-brendon-bolton

If you want to continue with this agenda, go right ahead, but at least bring the "whole" actual facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice highlights package. The one thing that stood out for mine was that pretty much none of those goals "scraped through".
Just one of the most natural kicks, and footballer in general, I have ever seen at that size.
Truly unique player we have on our hands.

So quick, agile and good below his knees for such a big man.

Ridiculous that at his size he can sidestep like that, crumb quite well and even snap/convert from pockets pretty cleanly.

Will kick goals from marking on the lead, general play and win plenty of free kicks.

Me likey! A lot! :thumbsu:

Even at this early stage I'm glad SOS 'lucked-out' with Weideman having been taken one pick ahead of Harry. Reckon SOS may be happy too.

I thought you went too early on this. I think today, Sam showed the competition that he is no slouch. Challenge on for Big Harry

I thought you went too early on this. I think today, Sam showed the competition that he is no slouch. Challenge on for Big Harry

I don't think so. There's things in Sam I don't really like and one good game alone won't change that.

Good on him though for playing his best game to date in a final. Maybe he can now back that up.

I don't think so. There's things in Sam I don't really like and one good game alone won't change that.

Good on him though for playing his best game to date in a final. Maybe he can now back that up.
What are those things? I probably would have drafted Weideman before McKay because I rated him the slightly safer bet but negligibly behind in terms of 'upside'. I thought we were never in the picture for Weideman so I was firmly on the McKay bandwagon. Anyway, 2015 looks like it's turning into a superdraft in hindsight, at least in terms of KPPs.

Last edited:
What are those things? I probably would have drafted Weideman before McKay because I rated him the slightly safer bet but negligibly behind in terms of 'upside'. I thought we were never in the picture for Weideman so I was firmly on the McKay bandwagon. Anyway, 2015 looks like it's turning into a superdraft in hindsight, at least in terms of KPPs.

Weideman is quite laconic and doesn't have McKays aggression.
There's clearly talent there but watching him close, I saw him flat-footed all too often which reminded me of Kristian Jaksch.
The hunger for the contest just didn't seem to be there, but the penny may yet drop and last weekend may have been the catalyst for him going forward.

I also preferred Weideman to McKay in his draft year, but for now at least, I'm glad we got the second bite at the KPF stocks.

Yep; we never had a second high pick, let alone two, for most of the year and by the time we traded into the draft, Weideman was never going to get past Essendon or Melbourne. I'm glad we got McKay but I wouldn't be complaining if fate had have let us draft both.

Last edited:
harry comes out of contract at the end of 2019 if i'm not mistaken, while others in his draft class signed long term deals during the 2018 season

if the draft picks remains as they are, and so therefore we don't add a King or Lukosius to the list, would big H be offered a long term deal? or are we keeping him hungry? if so, could it be a risky ploy with the likes of Hawthorn in the market for (ready to go) key forward having failed to entice Lynch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back