Yabby Medal votes: 32

Averages

Kicks: 12.7 per game
Handballs: 11.3 per game
Disposals: 24.0 per game
Marks: 3.8 per game
Tackles: 5.5 per game

Standout

Round 17, 2018 (versus Brisbane Lions): Ultimately in a losing cause, O'Meara gave everyone a reminder of his talent when he picked up 27 disposals, laid eight tackles and kicked four goals. It was a virtuoso performance from a player everyone at Hawthorn has high hopes for. Generally he seemed content to be the sidekick to Tom Mitchell's main attraction but on this occasion, he was Hawthorn's leading light.

Shocker

Round 5, 2018 (versus North Melbourne): Didn't get going the whole game and was only a minimal contributor in a dirty day for the Hawks. Only 16 disposals and five tackles in a game that was a big let-down after his excellent game the previous week against Melbourne, where he had 26 disposals and kicked two goals.

Had a hugely underrated year by most outside the club. I remember the game against the Demons where Jaeger got a clearance and BT on commentary said something to the effect of 'we haven't spoken much about Jaeger this year, we only spoke about him last year when he wasn't playing' and it was so true.

we did not see his absolute best this year, but we saw how good his best still can be and wow it is exciting. Hasn't lost his break away pace and his ability to leave his opponent behind and gut run to get in to a dangerous position was seen multiple times this year.

His goal against the Dees where he started 50m behind the pack and left them behind to kick a goal was one of his best highlights of the year.

Number 1 though would have to be kicking the game winning goal against the Cats and leaving Ablett in his dust while doing it. Already makes him a Hawthorn legend just for that!

So happy to have this bloke at the club. you build a team around players like Jaeger.

I honestly believe that with him, Mitchell, Breust, Gunston, smith, Wingard and Sicily (if he can continue on his development trajectory) we have the making of an elite core of players. Add solid role players like Shiels, Pops and Hardwick who give you every ounce, every moment of every game and a couple of old masters in Roughy and Burger... look out if they all stay fit.

After a horrific run with injuries, the great player we all hoped he could become started to emerge.

A great credit to his perseverance.

It's frightening to think how good he could be without the injuries.

An absolute beast who has leader written all over him.

Hopefully 2018 will be remembered as a stepping stone back to full fitness and greatness.

Last edited:
Said it before on here and will say it again. Will be far and away the best player on our list next year and going forward.
Probably sounds like a weird statement as we have the current brownlow medalist running around as well.

He is a freak talent. He & wingard could be off the show next year.

It's weird - the guy is an absolute beast, a genuine animal. So underrated by everyone outside the club. The BT quote is a great one, everyone outside of Hawthorn got really excited when he was missing games.

I think Clarko asked him to be defensive first for most of the season. You could see occasionally he was the hitout target and some of his clearance work was amazing - but it's like the guy had been given a mission to tackle and hurt guys as priority one.

We made top 4. Our midfield was thin despite having a brownlow medallist in it. You don't win 15 games in a season with only one midfielder performing - but that's almost the perception outside of the club.

Wingard, Mitchell and O'Meara will be like snap crackle and pop - three very different highly talented guns.

Have been told that he was going at about 75-80% capacity this year. The club continually managing his training loads.
The knee knock that kept him out of the Dees finals was minor but he’ll always have a no risk policy for the rest of his career.
Will go up another level in 2019 I’m told, he has a freakish training work ethic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been told that he was going at about 75-80% capacity this year. The club continually managing his training loads.
The knee knock that kept him out of the Dees finals was minor but he’ll always have a no risk policy for the rest of his career.
Will go up another level in 2019 I’m told, he has a freakish training work ethic.

The scary part is how good he is only playing at 80% of his capacity.

If we're after Coniglio, it would give us 3 supremely talented midfielders that are all happy to defend and do the tough stuff when required. It's a Clarko wet dream.

The scary part is how good he is only playing at 80% of his capacity.

If we're after Coniglio, it would give us 3 supremely talented midfielders that are all happy to defend and do the tough stuff when required. It's a Clarko wet dream.
Even in a midfield of Mitchell, Cogs & JO'M, I reckon JO'M has the talent to be the premier mid.

Not the highest possession winner or most time on ground, but the classiest & maybe most damaging.

F**k playing as a tagger if that eventuates & we play Mitch + JO'M + Cogs at stoppages & rotated Wingard + Shiels + Worpedo through as well...:eek:

Huge tick for a full season. Talent and ability was never in doubt.

Pumped to watch him again next year.

Had a very good year and one that I would have certainly taken with him playing 21/24 games before the season began. The lowlight was his body not holding up in the finals with him unable to play a hugely important SF for the club when we really needed him.

The interesting question will be in 2019, can he go up another level and become an All Australian standard mid ? Or is that tier just below All Australian calibre his level ? Also will his body hold up in consecutive seasons ?

He and Mitchell are such leaders with their work ethic. Dynamic duo

Star, absolute star! Just needs the footy Gods on his side for a change and he’ll win everything on offer!!!
One thing caught my attention though is that he seemed to miss a game every 8 weeks!! Interesting if by design .

Very good season. Got his body right for the first time and had the best season of his career.

I think he can go to another level. And if he does - and joins Mitchell in that top class of AFL midfielders - together with the addition of Wingard and Scully, we can genuinely contend in 2019.

Quite possibly a future captain also. 2018 goes down as a real success for him, his dedication and talent and for Hawthorn’s faith and expertise. So we heard nothing about it all year.

Star, absolute star! Just needs the footy Gods on his side for a change and he’ll win everything on offer!!!
One thing caught my attention though is that he seemed to miss a game every 8 weeks!! Interesting if by design .

I'm tipping missing the Brisbane and Carlton games was, but the SF wasn't by design.

Even in a midfield of Mitchell, Cogs & JO'M, I reckon JO'M has the talent to be the premier mid.

Not the highest possession winner or most time on ground, but the classiest & maybe most damaging.

F**k playing as a tagger if that eventuates & we play Mitch + JO'M + Cogs at stoppages & rotated Wingard + Shiels + Worpedo through as well...:eek:
Then throw in crazy eyes Howe as a wrecking ball to just smash into opposition campaigners.

OH and 2 of the best wingers in the game in O'mith and $cully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back