Review 10 - Jaeger O'Meara (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

A lesson for the coach, which is what I alluded to after the swines game, but then Scotty opened his gob and we got the bit between the teeth and beat carltank.........

You always learn more from failure then from success. It's not his fault that the "new hands" that haven't won a final yet haven't stood up to support the "old soldiers" except Frostie this year. The people who blame the game plan and everything else "clarko" (not saying you mate just in general and those people know who they are) are looking for a scapegoat and being so swallow in their thinking, by not taking into account that the if high imports don't do anything, or are coming back from serious injury (Mitchel and Impy), and players like Hardwick and Sicily, just to name two, haven't gotten better then what is he to do up til now, except watch and learn who does what and who can't do what?

And he will learn as that's what great leaders do.

He hasn't fluked his way to five grand finals to win 4 of them. He hasn't been gifted a dangerflied either. Instead he's had the best player since Hudson stolen from him for nothing. It's all been hard graft from the start for this man. What a legend.
No doubt. I just dont know how long left he's got in him.
He's facing a full rebuild here. Let's be honest. Is he up for it?

I wouldn't say full rebuild mate. We have a young potential spine underneath and some younger faster kids in CJ etc......Finn...pick up another Day plus another Impy and it can turn quick, once he knows that certain middle aged players that he was hoping would be the "cream" can't and won't be he can plan accordingly.

Maybe he's actually been auditioning the middle aged players to see who has it, so he can make moves around them, knowing what kids he does have already.

Yeah he's up for it. He's natural leader, otherwise he'll leave the place better then he found it that's for sure.

Who is arguing otherwise? We overpaid and the 'same suspects' are having a lot of fun saying it, yet no one argues otherwise at this point.

The point is go back to that point in time and it was worth the gamble. Dragging a Trac or Neale or Rowell out of a team is near impossible to do.

Agreed, I was supportive of the move at the time, it's just unfortunate his injuries have curtailed the player he could've been. What really screwed us was those amateurs at the GC making us do that pick swap with the saints.

Go and look at Port's list from like 3 yrs ago. Bunch of old boys, fat mids, no good. Boak's cooked, Westhoff done, Dixon injury prone, Wingard no good, recruiting hacks, got another slow mid in Rockliff etc etc, look at em now!

Take him out of the midfield and what do you have? A recovering Mitchell who is arguably a worse kick. A struggling Worpel. And Shiels who needs to retire. That's it.

We'd be screwed without him to be fair.
The midfield we have is getting screwed with him to be fair.

We probably would have been a weaker in side 2018 and 2019 but we would have likely drafted in some players with the picks we didn’t use + better draft picks from some lower finishes. Not hard to see how we would have been a better side without the trade.

We probably would have been a weaker in side 2018 and 2019 but we would have likely drafted in some players with the picks we didn’t use + better draft picks from some lower finishes. Not hard to see how we would have been a better side without the trade.

Yeah but it's not like there have been many good players available in the first round of the draft in years since this trade...:drunk:

Might not be the right thread but if we'd done this and eaten a few low finishes Clarko may still have been a chance to sign off with another flag. I get that the club were extremely worried about becoming another Brisbane and hadn't been kissed on the d in the way Geelong and Sydney were but our approach could have been better

Yeah but it's not like there have been many good players available in the first round of the draft in years since this trade...:drunk:

Might not be the right thread but if we'd done this and eaten a few low finishes Clarko may still have been a chance to sign off with another flag. I get that the club were extremely worried about becoming another Brisbane and hadn't been kissed on the d in the way Geelong and Sydney were but our approach could have been better
Live and learn, or whinge and sook and get nowhere.

Last year getting Day, Finn, Morris, Jeka and bringing in Frostie............Wingard the year before..........while getting talls at the draft in Lewis and Kosi etc....seriously we're more than half through the rebuild with kids. What these kids can do it still unproven but we are walking the light fantastic like every other club who hasn't had numerous top15 picks.

So, it seems to me that the club isn't dwelling on the past, like so many supporters do when it's a "mistake", and are just getting on with it best they can. Time supporters did the same. By geez the next flag will be sweeter for it just like 08.

Last year getting Day, Finn, Morris, Jeka and bringing in Frostie............Wingard the year before..........while getting talls at the draft in Lewis and Kosi etc....seriously we're more than half through the rebuild with kids. What these kids can do it still unproven but we are walking the light fantastic like every other club who hasn't had numerous top15 picks.

So, it seems to me that the club isn't dwelling on the past, like so supporters do, and are just getting on with it best they can. Time supporters did the same. By geez the next flag will be sweeter for it just like 08.
If we had passed on O'meara and he was winning Brownlows for the scum right now the same people would be whining that the club didn't have the balls to do what needed to be done.

If we had passed on O'meara and he was winning Brownlows for the scum right now the same people would be whining that the club didn't have the balls to do what needed to be done.
Yeah they can't win mate, when it's a "mistake" in the minds of some.

I'll take the 4 flags and look forward to the next one without expecting instant gratification.

It's not whinging or sooking, it's analysing a path the club chose to take in order to immediately become contenders again and looking at the other options they had.

Clarko built a dynasty based on players who were versatile with good footskills. Hopefully we recruit more Will Days and don't throw our hat in the ring for Crouch.

It's not whinging or sooking, it's analysing a path the club chose to take in order to immediately become contenders again and looking at the other options they had.

Clarko built a dynasty based on players who were versatile with good footskills. Hopefully we recruit more Will Days and don't throw our hat in the ring for Crouch.
I understand, I just don't see the point in looking backwards with a "if only" glance. What's done is done, but at the same time they have been trying to get kids underneath and on to the list. This is missed from the hard core group on here of "lets throw out everyone and pick up kids group" because the kids we do have are yet to be fully utilized or blooded enough to suit certain view points.

And there is the lesson from watching how the midfleid group hasn't come together, more Will Days and no Crouch's. Agree 100%.

Who is arguing otherwise? We overpaid and the 'same suspects' are having a lot of fun saying it, yet no one argues otherwise at this point.

The point is go back to that point in time and it was worth the gamble. Dragging a Trac or Neale or Rowell out of a team is near impossible to do.
Come on BJK#5 (one of my fav poster btw) not sure anyone is enjoying being right when we are travelling this poorly. Everyones been pretty measured in their posting. There is a fair body of evidence to rely on now unlike when he first arrived, where he was not given the latitude he probably deserved at times.

Come on BJK#5 (one of my fav poster btw) not sure anyone is enjoying being right when we are travelling this poorly. Everyones been pretty measured in their posting. There is a fair body of evidence to rely on now unlike when he first arrived, where he was not given the latitude he probably deserved at times.
Most people I agreebut some posters are at the moment going in on all decisions the club has made.

I think we can all agree that yes we overpaid and no he hasn’t become the player we hoped. But when looking at the decision the club made you need to go back to when they made it. If you want to get someone as talented as he is you generally need to take a risk because they almost never leave clubs. Even he said if it wasn’t for his knee he probably never would have left.

I can’t fault the club making the trade at the time and that is my entire point, going back on what we gave up doesn’t accomplish anything at this point in time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say full rebuild mate. We have a young potential spine underneath and some younger faster kids in CJ etc......Finn...pick up another Day plus another Impy and it can turn quick, once he knows that certain middle aged players that he was hoping would be the "cream" can't and won't be he can plan accordingly.

Maybe he's actually been auditioning the middle aged players to see who has it, so he can make moves around them, knowing what kids he does have already.

Yeah he's up for it. He's natural leader, otherwise he'll leave the place better then he found it that's for sure.

A young potential spine? Sorry man, but what are you suggesting?

FB - Kosi: gee I hope, but no-one can possibly suggest he is the long term answer. We have barely seen him at Box Hill.
CHB - Frost?: 27 next year, good pickup, not going to be elite.
C - Worpel: needs to madly improve his composure and skills.
CHF - Literally no idea???
FF- Lewis?: hmm...
Ruck - Reeves?: speculative at best

A young potential spine? Sorry man, but what are you suggesting?

FB - Kosi: gee I hope, but no-one can possibly suggest he is the long term answer. We have barely seen him at Box Hill.
CHB - Frost?: 27 next year, good pickup, not going to be elite.
C - Worpel: needs to madly improve his composure and skills.
CHF - Literally no idea???
FF- Lewis?: hmm...
Ruck - Reeves?: speculative at best
I'm suggesting that the club has done the best it can with the hand it's been dealt after retiring all time greats. Nothing more nothing less. People can carry on all they want about trading out other greats for a early pick or 2 but we didn't so why worry about it - we're here now, not in a time machine.

You can argue till the cows get CoVid about who may make it and who won't, but you have to get height onto your list first, which we've been doing, in case that has been completely missed as my point. Are they likely to be another Buddy, Roughie, Lake - it's about time people realized these players are rarer then chook balls, especially in a competition that has given every tall to 2 clubs for 8 years, yet even those 2 clubs are yet to do anything with it. .............come on man we've been spoiled, so spoiled we take for granted just how hard it is to find the right players, we just sit back and expect.

I'm suggesting that the club has done the best it can with the hand it's been dealt after retiring all time greats. Nothing more nothing less. People can carry on all they want about trading out other greats for a early pick or 2 but we didn't so why worry about it - we're here now, not in a time machine.

You can argue till the cows get CoVid about who may make it and who won't, but you have to get height onto your list first, which we've been doing, in case that has been completely missed as my point. Are they likely to be another Buddy, Roughie, Lake - it's about time people realized these players are rarer then chook balls, especially in a competition that has given every tall to 2 clubs for 8 years, yet even those 2 clubs are yet to do anything with it. .............come on man we've been spoiled, so spoiled we take for granted just how hard it is to find the right players, we just sit back and expect.

I don't get your post.

Your point about height was missed by me. I still don't get it. Peter Street was tall.

I am just asking what is the spine you are suggesting that we have underneath? Because for me, it's a massive issue with our list.

I understand, I just don't see the point in looking backwards with a "if only" glance. What's done is done, but at the same time they have been trying to get kids underneath and on to the list. This is missed from the hard core group on here of "lets throw out everyone and pick up kids group" because the kids we do have are yet to be fully utilized or blooded enough to suit certain view points.

And there is the lesson from watching how the midfleid group hasn't come together, more Will Days and no Crouch's. Agree 100%.

Probably because they're not good enough for senior football yet? And higher draft picks like Will are.. that's the point.

I don't get your post.

Your point about height was missed by me. I still don't get it. Peter Street was tall.

I am just asking what is the spine you are suggesting that we have underneath? Because for me, it's a massive issue with our list.
That's fine, that's your perspective, it's a issue with almost every club, that is ongoing forever because there are not enough good KPP for the size of the comp, let alone out out champs like we've lost and teams do not trade them once they have them.

I'm not disagreeing I'm just saying we've started that side of the rebuild, what happens with it who knows. I'd prefer to look on glass half full side with Lewis, Jeka and Kosi - FF - CHF and CHB while Frostie moves to FB. We've grabbed Patton and Hartley as intermediate stop gaps and what was available, what more can the recruiting team do? Not their fault Lewis did his shoulder.

The interesting thing is we have only really drafted 2 elite talls in Buddy and Roughie in clarko's time, but oh how we've tried - Lake, Gibbo (who wasn't a tall) Frawley are all imports. What does this say about the quality of talls in the many years of drafts?

That you have hit the right year perfectly is the way I read it, unless you have 200 draft picks to play with and are not contending.

Probably because they're not good enough for senior football yet? And higher draft picks like Will are.. that's the point.
Really, who would have thought it hey?

Subjective round about rubbish, because we are where we are, not where we might have been "if only" we'd done this or that.

But we'll probably get a high draft pick this year to cheer you up, still no certainty he'll be any good, but he'll be high, so if he fails the outrage will be even worse.

FFS you'd think the people who've won 4 flags are out to get us from the inside reading this joint sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back