10 metre protected zone: currently not working but with a tweak may be effective

Remove this Banner Ad

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
The ten metre protected zone rule isn't working.

I believe (anyone can correct me if wrong) that the rule to call 50 in these instances was brought in to prevent players from lurking around the back of contests and tackling the ball carrier when they played on. It has clearly stopped that from occurring. However, the rule as it stands goes beyond mitigating that and now gets players who are unintentionally in the protected zone, either through a lack of awareness or poor timing.

This is impacting games in contexts where no infringement was intended by the players responsible. Letting the play go in these instances would have no impact on the game. The player would kick on as they intended, and in the same way as they would were the opposition player not in the zone. Calling 50 can lead to goals that were very unlikely to happen in the course of play, as we saw last night with Sydney vs Hawthorn. In sum, it is having a greater impact on the game than stopping the lurking tackler that it was intended to stop, and it is now preventing the contest from continuing organically with many 50s occurring due to the rule. It has become more of a problem than what it was intended to resolve.

I suggest that a very simple tweak to this rule could resolve the problem. 50 is only called when a player in the protected zone impacts the play of the ball carrier in some way. This could be up to the discretion of the umpire, but would obviously encompass all instances of a lurking tackler, and also times where the opposition player impedes the space and kick of the ball carrier. Such a rule change would also stop, as happened last night, 50s against players who were unintentionally moving through the zone. In sum, the 50 would barely ever be called, and would stop the problem it was brought in to address. Everybody wins.

Make no mistake, the rule had an impact on the result last night, and it was a sum negative for the game. Hawthorn supporters cant have a go at me being salty in this instance - the dogs benefited from two such decisions against Port some weeks ago, in another close contest.

What are people's thoughts on such a tweak?

Also as a corollary to this, I think play on should be called immediately when a team mate of the ball carrier enters the zone to shepherd the man on the mark.

"Protected zone

Last year, no one was allowed within five-metres of the person with the ball after a mark or free kick. This year the protected area is extended to 10-metres. If a player goes in that protected zone, expect a 50-metre penalty to be awarded.

Screen-Shot-2016-02-09-at-3.21.22-PM.png
"

Personally feel that there is too much grey area in the rules with too many interpretations making the game too difficult to understand let alone umpire. At some point it might be better to simplify the rules and just make them black and white. You might make some things a little harsher but there will be no confusion and everyone will understand where they stand

simple tweak.... 50 is only called when a player in the protected zone impacts the play of the ball carrier in some way....Such a rule change would also stop, as happened last night, 50s against players who were unintentionally moving through the zone.

"
Entering the zone as Jack did or going over the mark as McGlynn did both impact on O'Rourke and Ceglar's ability to move the ball quickly. Therefore even under your tweaking the decisions to pay 50m were correct.
Unintentionally? No such thing.
Only errors in the execution of skills.

They could have impacted on it, but did not appear as if they were going to in those contexts.

There is a distinction between actually impacting something (i.e. after the event) and having that potential. I am suggesting changes so that the decision is made after the actual impact on the play, which needs to be something tangible like actually stopping the play or ball, occurs.

The rule is officiated in such a way that the umpire has read a players intent when entering the 10m zone - which is broken in itself

The umpire has no 100% way of telling whether a player entering a zone is just following his man down field, or is trying to influence the ball carrier

It should either be a 50m everytime someone enters the zone or not at all. Right now some are called and some aren't. Also an umpires ability to judge 10m is never going to be 100% definitive

I'd much rather the umpire tell a player to move out however many m of the protected zone first, rather than jumping the gun with a 50m penalty

I'd much rather the umpire tell a player to move out however many m of the protected zone first, rather than jumping the gun with a 50m penalty

So ensure there is a clear warning first, with time for the player to react and comply? Would be just as if not more effective than my suggestion.

So ensure there is a clear warning first, with time for the player to react and comply? Would be just as if not more effective than my suggestion.
I still cant agree. If a warning is given first then the player who has the ball is penalised. If the player with the ball is held up only by one second then that is an impact. Why warn only in 50m situations? In fact you often hear on the audio umpires giving warnings. Maybe they are experts at assessing impact.

It's quite a simple rule in theory

If you're inside the zone and try to affect the kick (even if they play on) it's 50 (or even down field)
If you don't, it's play on, just like the offside rule in rugby

The bigger farce is that player are once again shepparding the mark (there's a rule that says it should be brought back if it happens)

He is a flog. Last week Cyril did the exact same thing and Wines got a 50m and goal. But Port lost so it didnt matter.

If you are in the 10m zone you have to move away, not continue running because eventually you will move out.

It was fair for Cyril it was fair for Jack it was fair for McGlynn it was fair for the couple Collingwood calls against GWS.

The issue isnt when they call them, its when they inconsistently call them.

They need to consistently call them and then the players will stop encroaching and stop running through.

The AFL needs to stop hiring idiot ex-players and letting them dictate rules. And the ones who do have jobs at the AFL need to be told to STFU because when they open their mouth they embarrass everyone with their stupidity.

I would argue that it isn't an umpiring error, it is the rule that is the problem (and nothing to do with Hawthorn!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pictures not telling me a lot, it's mark when the ump blows his whistle.....
I think he is saying (at least its what I think was happening) Jack went to run to stand on the mark except the other swans player? got there first so he got stuck sort of running through the area and hence gave away the 50

technically you cant go through the protected zone to man the mark, you have to go from outside / around the mark to man it. im pretty sure the hawks have been pinged for that earlier in the year.

In the Freo / Cats game one 50m. Stanley gets a free moves back quickly and goes to play on but as he does I thinks its Mundy ambling by in the 10m zone. 50m Correct decision. Any warning to Mundy would have been to Stanley's further disadvantage.

This was hot at the start of the season, cooled off, but is now hot again.

I think what's made it worse is the umps department said yesterday that if a player was within 10m, but not within 5m, and not looking to impede the ball carrier, no penalty would be applied.

technically you cant go through the protected zone to man the mark, you have to go from outside / around the mark to man it. im pretty sure the hawks have been pinged for that earlier in the year.
See the umps let that slide a lot though. You see a player coming through the protected zone and wave away the man on the mark (to zone up further down the ground), and then replace the original person on the mark.

See the umps let that slide a lot though. You see a player coming through the protected zone and wave away the man on the mark (to zone up further down the ground), and then replace the original person on the mark.
yeah happens every game. They were hot on it for like 1-2 games and then realised it was stupid and slacked off on it again.

This is the worst rule ever introduced.

Why do we need it? Was there a huge issue of players coming from behind to interfere?

No, umpires used to just reset the mark and tell people to clear out.

So under your new interpretation, you are suggesting that Jon O'Rourke should have run in on an arc or tried to play on to his right thus bringing him closer to Jack and then ensuring he gets the 50m penalty anyway?

Clearly Ceglar should get his 50m penalty as he probably wants to handpass it off but is being prevented in doing so by McGlynn encroaching over the mark and being too close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back