Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

So I couldn't help but read in the herald sun tehy have recently been doing top 10 lists for guys picked late in the draft and it got me to thinking. Why are these players rated now by the media? On what basis? Cyril Rioli ahead of Anthony Stevens ... anyway onto my list. These are players that IMO are over rated by the media and fans alike.

10. Nick Maxwell
Okay so maybe not as much with the fans as he is pretty much widely known as the worst player to be a captain in a while but the media do love him. Had a woeful season and seems like his best, which really wasn't that good to begin with is, well past him. His worst year in some time and should have probably never been an All Australian in the first place. Disposals has him down to his worst year in 4 years and at times was so out of place was thrown forward. Be interested to see if he stays in the team this year.

9. Justin Koschitzke

Not many rate him any more but he is always mentioned as a wild card or danger man for a big game or final. He isn't. He kicked 15 goals this year as a forward/back up ruck. His best is clearly past him and would not be surprised if he wasn't at the Saints after this year. Of course someone will give him a chance due to the hype.

8. Campbell Brown
Ever wonder why Hawks fans were never that dirty on him leaving? Yeah some of it was because they loved him, the other half was because he is finished. Watching Aaron Edwards run a muck on him was embarrasing. If he does go on he will quickly become the liability in their back line. He still is rated fairly highly in the media though. When is his ability ever been questioned? His physicallity at the man has but he will end up a very grumpy man next season if his form continues. Don't expect the Melbourne media to pick up on it though and question McKenna if he gets dropped.

7. Mitch Clark
Not just because Melbourne paid overs for him. He played as a forward who spent 10% of his time in the ruck this year. He still only kicked 27 and had a paultry 82 hit outs. Clearly they didn't need him in the ruck anymore and if he is kicking 27 goals in a season I can't see him being a permanent forward. Another who falls under the Campbell Brown category of people love the way he looks when he plays. Hard and tough but not really effective.

6. David Rodan
I really like Rodan he has had a touch career with the Richmond delisting and knee injuries. He is also a really good dancer. Is this why he seems to be rated so highly? He averaged an ordinary 15 touches a game this year, which amazingly is ahead of his career average.

5. Majak Daw
Hasn't played a senior game yet may be Norths 2nd or 3rd most known player. Media and fans were calling for him to play Senior footy this season. He does the brilliant but still does the very dumb at times. Is progressing really well from where he has come but everybody needs to calm down.

4. Jarrad Waite
We all heard that he would have pushed the Blues further into the finals. Really? He kicked 16 goals from 12 games. The most he has ever kicked in a season is 36. He is a handy forward or back man. He isn't the KPP that will answer their problems. Injury prone and does stupid things on the field. But he is the saviour allegedly.

3. Nic Naitanui

Like Majak can do the amazing and his performance in that final against Collingwood was amazing, he is getting better but is still not at the level that some speak of. Gerard Healy is the main culprit here. I've heard him say Nic Nat purposely dropped a mark to a crumber. Really?. Will be a superstar if he can find consistancy but isn't yet.

2. Patrick Dangerfield
Only 4 seasons into his career but put a tagger on him and you won't have to worry. Would look like a jet in Geelong or Collingwoods team but when you can tag him out of the game so easily it says a fair bit about his mental application. Is always a favourite with dream teamers and is fantastic when he has the 4 goal 30 touch games. But when he has his 6 touch games you realise he really needs consistency. Will hopefully get there but not just yet.

1. Cyril Rioli
Probably the most over rated footballer I have ever seen. When Buddy went down against Geelong some media outlets and fans were calling for Cyril to be the focus up forward. Had they done that, Sydney would have played Collingwood in the prelim. Is a beautifully skilled footballer but just doesn't get enough of it or kick enough goals. Sometimes you wonder if his name was Jack Smith and he played for Fremantle if he would get the same media attention. My guess is no.

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Cyril Rioli is 22 years old and has had persistant injuries. Give him a break for ****s sake. What was GAJ like at 22, you remember? Sometimes it takes a while for a good player to become elite.
When he was 23 GAJ was tearing the comp apart in his first season as an elite player, doubt cyril will ever even come close to the first season ablett stepped up, there is no point comparing them
1. Cyril Rioli
Probably the most over rated footballer I have ever seen. When Buddy went down against Geelong some media outlets and fans were calling for Cyril to be the focus up forward. Had they done that, Sydney would have played Collingwood in the prelim. Is a beautifully skilled footballer but just doesn't get enough of it or kick enough goals. Sometimes you wonder if his name was Jack Smith and he played for Fremantle if he would get the same media attention. My guess is no.
This is correct

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. Cyril Rioli
Probably the most over rated footballer I have ever seen. When Buddy went down against Geelong some media outlets and fans were calling for Cyril to be the focus up forward.

Last time he filled in for Buddy hei kicked 5 goals. That would be why the call was made.

Had they done that, Sydney would have played Collingwood in the prelim. Is a beautifully skilled footballer but just doesn't get enough of it or kick enough goals..

Top 10 in goal contributions this year and only played as a permanent forward for 5 or 6 games.

It's stats like that which suggests he's probably underrated more than anything. Too much focus on raw stats like possessions and goals, not enough of things like average goal assists, % scoring involvements, (both of which Rioli leads in 2011)

His performance this year was better than AA forward pocket Stephen Milne. Milne averaged more goals, but Rioli dominated anything else. Had he played forward for the entire season he would easily be ahead in goal contributions as well.

The calls that Rioli is overrated based simply on his goal tally are indicating how underrated he is, and how little some people understand or analyse the game.

JonoNash

Team Captain
Suspended
Sep 30, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collegians
Excellent call on Waite.

You have to laugh at Carlton for signing him for 3 years.

FD2646

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2008
Everywhere, anywhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth
Quite like your list Uncle Leo - Nick Maxwell is the most over-rated for mine, but he is a premiership captain of Collingwood so the sun shines out of you no-where. Also like your calls on Cyril, Naitnui and especially Kozi and Brown. Thought you were a bit harsh (for different reasons) on Majak, Rodan and Waite.

muttweed

Cancelled
May 28, 2011
Western VIC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Josh Caddy
Last time he filled in for Buddy hei kicked 5 goals. That would be why the call was made.

Top 10 in goal contributions this year and only played as a permanent forward for 5 or 6 games.

It's stats like that which suggests he's probably underrated more than anything. Too much focus on raw stats like possessions and goals, not enough of things like average goal assists, % scoring involvements, (both of which Rioli leads in 2011)

His performance this year was better than AA forward pocket Stephen Milne. Milne averaged more goals, but Rioli dominated anything else. Had he played forward for the entire season he would easily be ahead in goal contributions as well.

The calls that Rioli is overrated based simply on his goal tally are indicating how underrated he is, and how little some people understand or analyse the game.

So because someone has a different opinion than you about a player, they don't understand the game? :rolleyes:

muttweed

Cancelled
May 28, 2011
Western VIC
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Josh Caddy
About Dangerfield looking like a jet in a team like Geelong, I've heard from multiple sources he was looking to come here.

Eg. A Geelong poster on the Cats board was lucky enough to sit near him on GF day, where he and his partner were cheering passionately for the Cats. The guy asked Danger if he was going to play at Geelong this year, and he said that all Danger did was give him a cheeky smile and continue cheering. Could have been Dangerfield couldn't hear him, or could have been a 'yes' or a 'lul no'. Would love him here anyway.

zaharaharakis

Debutant
Sep 3, 2011
unknown
AFL Club
Essendon
10. ben reid
9. callan ward
8. harry o'brien
7. cyril rioli
6. josh gibson
5. ryan griffen
4. todd goldstein
3. eddie betts
2. robert murphy (luke darcy strikes again!!!):eek:
1. ALAN DIDAK

zaharaharakis

Debutant
Sep 3, 2011
unknown
AFL Club
Essendon
That's the worst list I have ever seen.

i can understand the criticism, but im basing them not on their ability but on the extent to which their ability is blown out of proportion by the media. i can barely listen to channel 7 coverage if either hawthorn or collingwood play, because bruce and dennis turn it into the cyril and didak show, even if they aren't do anything outstanding.

the collingwood defenders made the list due to their all australian nominations. collectively the collingwood defense is outstanding, but individually some of them are over-rated. If ben reid was in port Adelaides backline, he would get 4 kicked on him every game.

eddie betts is a flashy but can go missing in big matches.

i was harsh on gibson and goldstein as both had very good years, but i didn't think they warranted all australian selection.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So because someone has a different opinion than you about a player, they don't understand the game? :rolleyes:

I dont' mind different opinions, as long as they're not form on complete misconceptions. Judging Rioli's game purely on goals is complete folly, particularly when he averages more goal assists than goals and doesn't play as a small forward most of the time.

Luke breust averages more goals than Rioli, that doesn't mean he's performed better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i can understand the criticism, but im basing them not on their ability but on the extent to which their ability is blown out of proportion by the media. i can barely listen to channel 7 coverage if either hawthorn or collingwood play, because bruce and dennis turn it into the cyril and didak show, even if they aren't do anything outstanding.

bruce is a lush for talented players, but that has nothing to do with his overall rating of afl players.

People get the two mixed up too often, and it's boring.

Against Freo at the G right?

Where did he play the rest of the games? Didn't have many touches if it was in the midfield.

Lindsay Thomas would go alright with goal assists if he had Buddy standing next to him.

I based my list of fans and media attention.

Brad Sewell is a much better footballer than Cyril.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Against Freo at the G right?

Yes, they were a top 8 side at the time and Rioli kept us in the game.

Where did he play the rest of the games? Didn't have many touches if it was in the midfield.

He had midfield type numbers when he was in the midfield, which was up until Rd 5. Then he went mid/fwd, then he went forward. His possession numbers also affected by being subbed out due to injury Rd 5, 14.

Lindsay Thomas would go alright with goal assists if he had Buddy standing next to him.

Specious argument, Franklin is a great goalscorer, but he can't be responsible for everyone's performance.

I based my list of fans and media attention.

Brad Sewell is a much better footballer than Cyril.

Sewell is rated higher than Rioli (41 in Top 50), so that doesn't make Rioli overrated either.

You have to differentiate footy callers losing their s**t over miraculous goals from the actual rating of players in the media. Rioli is probably underrated as he performed better than Milne and deserved a spot in the AA side in 2011 ahead of him.

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most overrated at the moment is Bartel.

38th in performance rankings in 2011.

20th in Mike's top 50 (Overrating factor of 2x)

2nd in Fan's Top 50 (Overrating factor of 19x) :eek:

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
1. Jimmy Bartel
2. Matthew Boyd
3. Harry O'Brien
4. Jack Riewoldt
5. Steve Johnson
6. Travis Cloke
7. Cameron Bruce
8. Brendon Goddard
9. Dale Thomas
10. Andrew Swallow

Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So a brownlow, norm smith, AA and premiership hero is overated? A lot of experts seem to have got it wrong then :cool:

lol.

Wasn't in the AA squad of 40, didnt place in the Geelong BnF, ranked 38th in Champion Data's comprehensive scoring system.

The fans have him at No.2. Sheahan has him at 20.

That's an overrated player, probably the most overrated at the moment.

Conversely rioli is ranked at 47th in Champion Data, fans rate him 44th, Sheahan has him below 50th. That's not an overrating at all. By media or fans.

1. Jimmy Bartel
2. Matthew Boyd
3. Harry O'Brien
4. Jack Riewoldt
5. Steve Johnson
6. Travis Cloke
7. Cameron Bruce
8. Brendon Goddard
9. Dale Thomas
10. Andrew Swallow

All better footballers than Cyril

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
All better footballers than Cyril

What O'Brien, Swallow and Bruce are better than Cyril? O'Brien and Bruce are average at best, and Swallow is one of the worst decision makers & ball users by foot I have seen play in the last few years. Funnily enough, wasn't poor ball use North Melbournes major problem in 2011 according to your coach?

Why don't you just admit you started this thread to belittle Cyril Rioli? Obviously that's your intention, after oh-so biting one liners like the one above, and your previous posts in this thread. Get a life mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back