Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant Birchall is far from overrated. I do not see the commentators rate him at all. He had one stinker against Collingwood, but still his job and now you give him a blast.

JOSH CADDY. Most overrated at the moment

I laught at Dangerfield being over-rated. And for Waite, he is a gun, one of the rarest leaps and marks in the game. He is elite when up and running. Thats just not very often unfortunately.

And there you just proved he is massively overrated. If elite is one of the best 10-15 in the game over a season or more, Waite has never been anywhere near that. He's a good KPP, who is inconsistant, can't string together a season and goes missing too often, but he can provide a good highlight.

Used to be Koschitzke and Palmer, but everyone has now realized that those two aren't much good.

Prediction: Give it 3/4 years and Kurt Tippett will be held in the same regard as Kosi. Especially if he goes to the Gold Coast. Hasn't had a good game against a good opponent once this year. The thought of him getting 700k+ is hilarious.

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Michael Hurley, Michael Barlow (post-broken leg version, pre-broken leg version was a star), Josh Hunt, Campbell Brown, Tom Scully, Brad Sewell (has reached 'people talk about how underrated he is so often that he's become overrated' level this year) and Steven Morris would be my other 9.

in all fairness he is towards the end of his career and nothing like he once was, in his prime he was a very very long penetrating accurate kick from defense, has lost quite a bit of that now

Reece Shaw. Biggest spud to have kicked a footy. 2 in 10 games are decent.
Harry O'Brien horriffic defender when one on one. Poor mans Josh Gibbson at best.
Mathew Scarlett. Was very good between 2007-10. But he is average at best when it comes to one on one defending. One of the better loose defenders at one stage. But that shouldn't make you one of the great FB's. In 2011 took the 3rd best tall every week and yet made AA team over Josh Gibbson. WOW! Stole Mal Michael's AA spot in the early 2000s IMO.

change that from 04-10 and its about right, id personally say his best was 04-06, i still remember two games as clear as day down at the cattery, the first was against adelaide where he played at FB all game, it was a low scoring contest and adelaide controled the midfield battle most of the day but we still managed to just win by under 2 goals simply because of scarlett down back, he ended up keeping his opponent goaless and to under 5 possesions and racked up 33 touches and was the highest possesion winner on the ground, was phenominal he just absolutely was unstoppable

the second was against port adelaide either 05 or 06, he played the entire game on tredrea and held him goaless the entire afternoon and at one point even took a one handed mark on him in a 1 out contest... simply killed tredrea, the point is in his prime he was a real freak defender who beat everyone and his best was on a shelf of its own

Yeah I agree with Scarlett though. Has been overrated for the last 2 years. Probably the most overrated player for last 2 years, by a country mile.

change that from 04-10 and its about right, id personally say his best was 04-06, i still remember two games as clear as day down at the cattery, the first was against adelaide where he played at FB all game, it was a low scoring contest and adelaide controled the midfield battle most of the day but we still managed to just win by under 2 goals simply because of scarlett down back, he ended up keeping his opponent goaless and to under 5 possesions and racked up 33 touches and was the highest possesion winner on the ground, was phenominal he just absolutely was unstoppable

the second was against port adelaide either 05 or 06, he played the entire game on tredrea and held him goaless the entire afternoon and at one point even took a one handed mark on him in a 1 out contest... simply killed tredrea, the point is in his prime he was a real freak defender who beat everyone and his best was on a shelf of its own

I'd change it to 2002-2010. To this day only the All-Australian selectors know why he didn't get nominated in 2002, as he was the best full back that year clearly (the first season when I knew he was a gun). As late as 2010 he was still good enough to humiliate Daniel Bradshaw - at full back - when he was the in-form key forward in the competition.

This year he declined far more than 2011. Last year he was pretty good. Not spectacular, but still did his job.

I'd change it to 2002-2010. To this day only the All-Australian selectors know why he didn't get nominated in 2002, as he was the best full back that year clearly (the first season when I knew he was a gun). As late as 2010 he was still good enough to humiliate Daniel Bradshaw - at full back - when he was the in-form key forward in the competition.

This year he declined far more than 2011. Last year he was pretty good. Not spectacular, but still did his job.

he was good last year and 2010, but people forget just how good he was in the middle of his prime back in 04-07, played at a level i dont think we have ever seen from another full back ever, the way he used to take apart players regularly like lloyd tedrea richardson brown and make them look like C grade players was just unbelievable

Yeah I agree with Scarlett though. Has been overrated for the last 2 years. Probably the most overrated player for last 2 years, by a country mile.

disagree, i think your mistaking a reputation and extreme respect over a sensational decade of games and multiple premierships for simply being at the end of your career, of course people when discussing scarlett at 32-33 years of age are going to reffer to him as a champion player and one of the all time greats because of his career in the game they arent reffering to his last 12 months, cant exactly apply the word overated to players like brown scarlett at the end of their careers

going by this stupid logic people keep bringing up for players such as brown scarlett, that means any player who doesnt retire after an elite season is considered "overated" if they where a great player in the previous years

yeh and it hurt us on the field because Geelong did nothing in 2011 and could only make a useless Elimination final in 2012.

I mean he only kept each opponent he was assigned on throughout the 2011 finals series to 2 goals or less ;)
(keep following the NRL kid)

Used to be Koschitzke and Palmer, but everyone has now realized that those two aren't much good.

Prediction: Give it 3/4 years and Kurt Tippett will be held in the same regard as Kosi. Especially if he goes to the Gold Coast. Hasn't had a good game against a good opponent once this year. The thought of him getting 700k+ is hilarious.

Brendon Goddard, Bryce Gibbs, Michael Hurley, Michael Barlow (post-broken leg version, pre-broken leg version was a star), Josh Hunt, Campbell Brown, Tom Scully, Brad Sewell (has reached 'people talk about how underrated he is so often that he's become overrated' level this year) and Steven Morris would be my other 9.

Where did you pull this one from? - he's played 20 games ffs. He's not overrated by anyone - we like him at Punt Road coz he bleeds for the jumper. He had a pretty good first year, that's all. What's not overrated is his courage. And speaking of courage, there's a name that never comes up in conversation when talking about courageous footballers - Angus Monfries. A 4 year contract???....if that's not grossly overrating a 150 game diving downhill skiier I dunno what is??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10. Matthew Kruezer
Has show glimpses of great potential, never lived up to the hype.

9. Patrick Ryder
No way will he ever be the best ruck in the comp like all Essendon supporters seem to think.

8. Tom Hawkins
Flavour of the month after his admittedly great performance against the Hawks.. congrats on beating Schoenmakers, the new Zac Dawson! (no, that is too harsh, haha. At least Schoey is starting to come good.)

7. Cyril Rioli
The human highlight reel is good, but nowhere near as good as the media makes him out to be.

6. Brett Stanton
Can be shut down so easily it is pathetic.

5. Nick Riewoldt
Cry baby who will blame anything and everything before himself while in bad form.

4. Tom Scully
Never shown that he was 1st pick material, especially against the likes of Martin or even Trengrove.

3. Todd Goldstein
Rucks well. Does nothing else for his team, basically sucks all-around.

2. Darren Glass
Full-back of the century my left nut.

1. Dale Thomas (Could fit all 10 spots easy)
Is given praise despite never being tagged, slamming home cherry-picked goals, and leeching off the good work of the rest of the midfielders in one of the best sides around.

Hon. Mentions;
Luke Hodge, Alan Didak, Travis Cloke, Dustin Fletcher, Jarryd Roughead, Ben Reid.

5 Star post, except not sure about Riewoldt and Tomahawk.

Thomas is a dead set leech who does all point blank finishing of his elite midfield's hard work. Glass is no better than Gibson, Cox carried WC through their touch matches, not Glass. Has the easiest position on the field.

Rioli is probably one of the most underrated players in the competition. It seems like a lot of neutral fans who aren't paying attention rate him only by one or two highlights, while ignoring the real substance of his output, which is now elite.

Mike's rating of him at No.26 in the competition is about spot on, and further testament to his inclusion in the AA team ahead of Jetta.

Shouldn't he be i
Rioli is probably one of the most underrated players in the competition. It seems like a lot of neutral fans who aren't paying attention rate him only by one or two highlights, while ignoring the real substance of his output, which is now elite.

Mike's rating of him at No.26 in the competition is about spot on, and further testament to his inclusion in the AA team ahead of Jetta.[
Thought you said he was better then selwood who is top 10 u flog :rolleyes:

1. M.Sheehan - Sheehan doesn't watch games still he makes assessments on them and openly admits he hasn't seen whole games while stating docile ratings of players which he's being paid for, joke.
2. Glass - Scragger his entire career, if he actually was watched his opponent would be lining up for goal with anything kicked near him.
3. K.Tipett - Self styled million dollar man, possibly to equate to 30-50k a goal, to loiter in the square for such a pay packet all year is a pretty sweet gig, Hope sydney have enough defensive forwards to make up for the inability of this guy to put any pressure on.
4. D.Thomas - Contested possessions for ball that spills out the back with him 10 meters off the contest is just sensational play, softest "arguably one of the best players in the comp" ever
5. Bartel - Makes it hard to overate other players if he's getting ranked 8.
6. Jonathon Brown - Clone this guy all over the field like adverts insist and you certainly have one fumbly slow ass side that early in its career would be mostly suspended or injured. How he's still in the top 50 and Simon Black is not is just some type of sorcery, Where are Rockliff and Rich Sheehan if your just putting in token lions?
7. P.Davis - Absolutely prematurely paid overs, you don't snatch Adelaide players away till they are ripest...
8. J. Frawley - Related to spud, talked up way too much as he gets lit up fairly easily by half decent opponents.
9 N.Natanui - Simply too much hype, shouldn't be in the AA.
10. Kozi - Not really rated. But he's rated enough to be put on the field when the bloke struggles to take chest marks.

10) Harry O'Brien - looks good streaming out of the back line and kicking 60 metres - everything else is a worry. Get him one on one in a marking contest and he is very shaky. He is brave but looks scared when he knows he does not have support. Teams working him out are trying to get him isolated.

9) Sam Gilbert - massive fall from grace. Was a good, reliable, confident footballer and now is a shell of that player. Should have worked through whatever his issues were but looks like he won't get back to the level he once was.

8) Kurt Tippett - I just don't see the hype. 1 million a year should be for the Abletts and Franklins. Massive gamble to pay him 1 million with how often he knocks himself out and how little impact he has on games. Tex Walker is a much much better player.

7) Stephen Hill - another who can light up a game with his run and his kicking is fantastic. But another disappointing high draft pick that is too inconsistent. He has time but needs to work through a tag better.

6) Michael Hurley - every year we hear that he is about to rip the comp apart - 26 goals 84 marks is just not good enough. His hands are terrible and his marking ability is not good enough for a position in a forward line. If they keep him forward will be just a player.

5) Shaun Higgins - another that has been hyped by his own supporters. Looks good in patches - goes missing in larger patches and then gets injured.

4) Rhys Shaw - amazed he is getting the wraps he does - the run and carry is great but he is horrible by foot and his decision making is poor. Did not make the top 10 in the Swans B&F for a reason.

3) Jake King - just do not get him and the reason the Tiger supporters see him as a key. Just an angry little man that can upset some opponents. No real tricks and in his 87 games has had 20 touches twice.

2) Colin Sylvia - just does not have as big an impact on games as he should. His best is good but only see it once in every 5 weeks. Seems to sulk when his team is playing poorly.

1) Brent Stanton - should be embarrassed with how badly he played in the 2 third of this year. Started the year on fire - then the tag cam and he went to water. That screams of down hill skier - not prepared to help out when it is tough. Watson should spit at him each time Brent looks at him. Number 1 over rated - by a long way.

10)

7) Stephen Hill - another who can light up a game with his run and his kicking is fantastic. But another disappointing high draft pick that is too inconsistent. He has time but needs to work through a tag better.

I agree with this one. I've seen him play an excellent half of football, where he blitzed the game after being quiet in the first half. However, that's the best game I have ever seen him play, and it was only a half game. I know that he has probably had better games, but they seem infrequent. Hasn't earned the hype around him yet.

Steve Johnson
Nic Nat
Tom Hawkins
Eddie Betts
Kurt Tippett
Nick Riewoldt
Brendan Goddard
Rhys Shaw
Kosi
Glass

lance Franklin is massively overrated. a very good player yes no1 in the comp no considering half his goal are from cherry picking his team mates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back