Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

This list includes people I think are overrated by the media and/or people on BigFooty:

Jimmy Bartel -
He isn't the elite superstar that he used to be any more, but people still seem to think he is. He is a good solid player at the moment but not elite.

Michael Hurley -
He has the ability and he has had injury problems but you can't just keep saying when he gets over his injuries he will produce. As an Essendon supporter I believe he has the ability to be elite at either ends but he needs to work on his overhead marking if he wants to make it as a forward.

Kieran Harper -
Extremely inconsistent and is overrated by many people, that doesn't mean he can't turn into a great player but isn't any where near it right now, should have been dropped during the season.

Nathan Vardy -
He has only kicked more than 1 goal in a match once and has never had more than 10 disposals. Hasn't done anything to suggest he will be a future gun like some say.

My top 10:
1. Rioli - commentators...
2.Harry O & Maxwell. Couldn't separate these 2. One's in love with his own hype, the other is perhaps the worst premiership captain to play the game. Unfortunately the tag of premiership captain makes Maxwell talked up by the media as an absolute champion when in reality, without the captaincy, he would surely be hard pressed to get a game.
3. Hurley - Love his aggression but still needs to find his spot and show his full potential. Teases with glimpses but needs to get the whole product together to become a true monster of the comp.
4. Nic Nat - Human highlight reel but also capable of not doing much over 4 quarters. Love watching him play and in a few years time will be almost the best ruck going round I think. He's still young, just needs to find more consistency.
5. Daw - I want to see this kid play AFL but for a guy yet to debut, he has so much hype about what he could become.
6. Scully. Injuries have severely impacted him but his huge contract means he should be producing more. Still young.
7. Judd. A champion and one of the best to play the game. Can't help but feel he has been on the decline in the last few seasons yet is still mentioned/rated as one of the best in the league. For mine, he would be outside the top 5 mids currently.
8. Clark (and Dawes) - A lot of money and a lot of press coverage covering these moves. Clark did back up and show some talent before injury in 2012 but still not convinced he should be on that kind of money just yet. Dawes I reckon will be in the same boat but has less talent that Clark.
9. Cloke - after this season, has shown he struggled. Remains to be seen if he can get back to his 2011 vintage. In 2011, he admittedly played out of his skin compared to anything else he has managed to produce. Contract settled, he may get back to those heights.
10. Buddy - Went with a bit of a controversial selection here. Buddy is a flawed genius, capable of the impossible, susceptible to the seemingly straightforward (a bit like Richo). He's a superstar and in 2012 he had (by his standards) probably a relatively poor year. Iron out his wayward kicking and a few other deficiencies and he would be almost unplayable.
Yet still made the AA after missing 6 games and was subbed once.
I'm not dissing your selection everyone is entitled to one.

Yet still made the AA after missing 6 games and was subbed once.
I'm not dissing your selection everyone is entitled to one.

thanks, that's fair enough - personally thought Pav deserved AA more but it is what it is. Can't be changed now anyway.

Nathan Vardy -
He has only kicked more than 1 goal in a match once and has never had more than 10 disposals. Hasn't done anything to suggest he will be a future gun like some say.

If you said this on the Geelong board you'd be lucky to escape with your life. There are some who want him either at centre half forward or as first ruckman. The fact that he hasn't actually done much yet is irrelevant.

Might be good in time, and does have talent. But so far it's all based on potential and hope.

In no particular order:
Tippett
S. Reid
Chapman (que aggressive cat supporters with outrageous arguments)
Boak
Nic Nat
T. Cloke
Wellingham
J. Brown
Boyd
Petrie

Don't understand this. Anyone who hasn't been hiding under a rock knows Chapman's days in the midfield are over and he is purely a small forward now. He might get through next year, he might not. To get 35 goals from him in 2012 was a huge bonus. Not sure how you can be overrated when your own supporters freely acknowledge he's past his best.

10. Harry O'Brien (finally exposed one on one and any pressure applied, he turns it over)
9. Lance Franklin (just watch his 2012 GF and you'll see what overrated is all about)
8. Boomer Harvey (rarely impacts a game when it's on the line or against quality opposition)
7. Aaron Sandilands (if he was 4 inches shorter, he'd be working at Safeways)
6. Kade Simpson (does well when he has others around but take away one or two and he falls away)
5. Leigh Montagna (avoids the physicality of the game at all costs)
4. Josh Gibson (does he even know how to put up his arms and take a bloody mark?)
3. Brendon Goddard (plays loose, no B&F's, only 2 AA's and he's regarded by some as a champion!)
2. Dale Thomas (heading into his 8th season & appears on commercials, billboards...not even top 50 imo)
1. Domenic Cassisi (one of the biggest spuds I ever seen play and was captain for 4 years? :confused:)

Agree with all except Franklin and Simpson. Franklin played a very good game in the Grand Final. Anyone who thinks otherwise is letting emotion cloud their judgement. 4 goals and 20 touches from a key forward in any game is a pass mark at the very least.

Agree with all except Franklin and Simpson. Franklin played a very good game in the Grand Final. Anyone who thinks otherwise is letting emotion cloud their judgement. 4 goals and 20 touches from a key forward in any game is a pass mark at the very least.
Thanks for not seeing it through hate glasses.
He was the only one that looked likely up forward for us, yes he missed a few easier goals but kicked a few that he wasn't entitled to.

Thanks for not seeing it through hate glasses.
He was the only one that looked likely up forward for us, yes he missed a few easier goals but kicked a few that he wasn't entitled to.

The hilarious arguments are the ones about Gunston's miss being his fault. Yeah, he's found a guy closer to goal, on a reasonable angle, which every single player at every club is instructed to do. He hits the post and suddenly he's cost them? Ridiculous.

I've got no problem if you say you don't like a player (for instance I cannot stand Milne), but he's still a bloody good footballer. Be ignorant to pretend otherwise.

The hilarious arguments are the ones about Gunston's miss being his fault. Yeah, he's found a guy closer to goal, on a reasonable angle, which every single player at every club is instructed to do. He hits the post and suddenly he's cost them? Ridiculous.

I've got no problem if you say you don't like a player (for instance I cannot stand Milne), but he's still a bloody good footballer. Be ignorant to pretend otherwise.
Some people bring the bay to all forums unfortunately.
I'm happy to take the piss in the bay but it's all tongue in cheek.

4 goals and 20 touches from a key forward in any game is a pass mark at the very least.

he kicked 3 goals Partridge and of his 24 touches, only about 16 of them were effective.
I accept your opinion and all but don't tell me mine is incorrect just because you disagree.

I have farking nothing against Franklin whatsoever, I'm a footballer lover and enjoy the pure brilliance that these athletes deliver on a weekly basis...I mean they do it all, jump, run, strength and make an oval ball talk but I look at Buddy and I do not see this greatness tag he is constantly labelled with.

He had multiple opportunities to take the game by the scruff of the neck just as Hawkins did in the 2011 GF but he was out-marked/spolied by Richards who was clearly unfit and he failed to do anything in the 4th quarter, this is a man in his absolute prime of 25yrs and his team around him isn't even mediocre as some past greats had to put up with so he should be doing more than he does in this current team.

As it currently stands, in my opinion, he's not as good as Matty Richardson at this very stage in his respective career and he played in an era surrounded by supreme champion forwards.

he kicked 3 goals Partridge and of his 24 touches, only about 16 of them were effective.
I accept your opinion and all but don't tell me mine is incorrect just because you disagree.

I have farking nothing against Franklin whatsoever, I'm a footballer lover and enjoy the pure brilliance that these athletes deliver on a weekly basis...I mean they do it all, jump, run, strength and make an oval ball talk but I look at Buddy and I do not see this greatness tag he is constantly labelled with.

He had multiple opportunities to take the game by the scruff of the neck just as Hawkins did in the 2011 GF but he was out-marked/spolied by Richards who was clearly unfit and he failed to do anything in the 4th quarter, this is a man in his absolute prime of 25yrs and his team around him isn't even mediocre as some past greats had to put up with so he should be doing more than he does in this current team.

As it currently stands, in my opinion, he's not as good as Matty Richardson at this very stage in his respective career and he played in an era surrounded by supreme champion forwards.
500 goals at age 25 from CHF, hard task master.
Is as athletic as anyone in the game, not sure what you're looking for.

That's all fine, but if the argument is about how they performed that day there were plenty of Hawthorn players who did far less than Franklin. 24 touches? Didn't even realise he had that much of the ball. It's like Johnson in 2008. He got (and still gets) bagged for getting 34 touches but the guys who don't touch it at all somehow emerge unscathed.

Besides, I never disputed the "greatness" tag. I don't think he's a great player either; but he's a very good one and I thought his Grand Final performance was better than most. Richards only negated him in the last quarter too, Franklin had comprehensively beaten him up to that point.

Franklin was just as good as Hawkins was in the 2011 Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Franklin was just as good as Hawkins was in the 2011 Grand Final.

really?
9 marks, 7 contested marks, 3.3 goals
set up 2 more goals

Franklin had 6 marks, 0 contested marks, 3.6 goals, he also kicked one of them in the first 30 seconds of the match while most of those behinds were from acute angles so it's not as if he missed sitters or anything as Hawkins did.
The stark difference between the two performances...Franklin drifted in and out of the game while Hawkins delivered for the entirety of the 2nd half when it mattered most and he dominated an unfit opponent which is something Franklin could not do.

If you wanna dispute that Dwight, you need to sit back and watch the two games over the Chrissy break
(most Bomber fans rate Franklin though as he's shafted them the worst over the past 6 years).

really?
set up 2 more goals

Franklin had 6 marks, 0 contested marks, 3.6 goals, he also kicked one of them in the first 30 seconds of the match while most of those behinds were from acute angles so it's not as if he missed sitters or anything as Hawkins did.
The stark difference between the two performances...Franklin drifted in and out of the game while Hawkins delivered for the entirety of the 2nd half when it mattered most and he dominated an unfit opponent which is something Franklin could not do.

If you wanna dispute that Dwight, you need to sit back and watch the two games over the Chrissy break
(most Bomber fans rate Franklin though as he's shafted them the worst over the past 6 years).
According to footywire Franklin had 4 contested marks, 7 inside 50's, kicked 3 goals, 4 behinds and had 24 disposals. If it was not as good as Hawkins Grand Final it was at least very close to being as good.

There is no use arguing with an immoveable object, been pulled up multiple times about it, some people are just set in their shitty opinions.

well said Donak :p
your always right so your opinion is highly valued by everyone on this site.

so your now changing your view somewhat?
now he was not quite as good but close to it.
No I'm not changing my view, I should have been more clear. I mean that if you think Hawkins was easily better(which I don't know whether you do or not), that Franklin was at least very close to him in terms of performance.

No I'm not changing my view, I should have been more clear. I mean that if you think Hawkins was easily better(which I don't know whether you do or not), that Franklin was at least very close to him in terms of performance.

fair enough as I should have been more clearer on stating his actual stats as he did have 4 contested and not the 0 as I thought I read but agree to disagree.

Just reckon his performance was not quite as good as it's made out to be after the siren.

He has plenty of time to prove me wrong though...and I do hope he does as the game needs him to take the standard up a notch so it can continue to go to a higher level of excellence and only the better players in the league can make that happen.

really?
set up 2 more goals

Really interesting one. Did about the same statistically I would say. I think the main difference in the reception is, that Geelong won and that it Hawkins was considered pretty average shortly before while from Franklin everybody expects something absolutely over the top.

10. Harry O'Brien (finally exposed one on one and any pressure applied, he turns it over)
9. Lance Franklin (just watch his 2012 GF and you'll see what overrated is all about)
8. Boomer Harvey (rarely impacts a game when it's on the line or against quality opposition)
7. Aaron Sandilands (if he was 4 inches shorter, he'd be working at Safeways)
6. Kade Simpson (does well when he has others around but take away one or two and he falls away)
5. Leigh Montagna (avoids the physicality of the game at all costs)
4. Josh Gibson (does he even know how to put up his arms and take a bloody mark?)
3. Brendon Goddard (plays loose, no B&F's, only 2 AA's and he's regarded by some as a champion!)
2. Dale Thomas (heading into his 8th season & appears on commercials, billboards...not even top 50 imo)
1. Domenic Cassisi (one of the biggest spuds I ever seen play and was captain for 4 years? :confused:)
Tough on Franklin/Goddard for mine
Having Cassisi number 1 implies someone rates him. Who?

Tough on Franklin/Goddard for mine
Having Cassisi number 1 implies someone rates him. Who?

geez' I'm not the only one who posted my opinion...there is 20 more pages of people who gave their views on overrated players too.

Casisi, I dunno, probably if I had my time over then I'd move him right up that list and have someone like a Sandlilands in at no.1.

in no particular order
Gibbs
Ziebell
Martin
Maxwell
Stanton
Goddard
Scully
M.Brown
Brennan
Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad