Opinion 10 most under rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Tory Dickson

His accuracy is the best he's kicked lots of goals but doesn't get the recognition he deserves

This would be my call. Hardly mentioned by anyone outside of Dogs fans. 50 goals last year, similar year to J-Pods best year (but without the finals success) and similar career trajectory (Dickson mid 20's picked up, J-Pod late 20's similar enough) except Dickson is much smaller without the contested marking prowess and still gets the job done.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This would be my call. Hardly mentioned by anyone outside of Dogs fans. 50 goals last year, similar year to J-Pods best year (but without the finals success) and similar career trajectory (Dickson mid 20's picked up, J-Pod late 20's similar enough) except Dickson is much smaller without the contested marking prowess and still gets the job done.
Works hard defensively too. Does some very hard unrewarded work off the ball.

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Robbie Tarrant most underrated key defender in the competition. Norths second most important player behind Goldstein

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Which is what I'm basing it on, wouldn't make much sense to base it on this season. There's been 1 game.
Previous people have mentioned players like tory Dickson who's only had 1 good season and have predicted Sam gray to be on the list by seasons end. Why are their 1 good season any different to Robbie's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was brilliant all of last season
Brilliant? He was good, yes, but I think brilliant overstates it a tad. Players like Hurley, Rance, Talia, McGovern were brilliant last season in a similar position.

Spitter9

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Because there wasn't expectation on them. We were expecting something like this from tarrant.
A lot of North fans weren't happy when Tarrant got a new 1 year contract at the end of 2014. You're kidding yourself if you thought he would become a defender and have this much of an impact after not showing much down forward. Been a master stroke by the coaches to swing him down back considering how poor Scott Thompson is these days. Doesn't get the kudos he deserves

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
1. Trent West
2. Ben Reid
3. Lachie Henderson
4. Eric McKenzie
5. Tom Lonergan
6. Tom Rockliff
7. Josh Kennedy (Syd)
8. David Mundy
9. Matt Priddis
10. Andrew Swallow
Mundy and Priddis certainly are. Definitely agree with you on that one. If only they were in Victoria.

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Kade Simpson is worth a mention

Nathan Jones is just criminally underrated, beyond AA worthy
Agree with you about Jones being that underrated. He's been the best player in an under performing team. Dees should of never given the Captaincy to Grimes and or Trengove, from a Melbourne members perspective.

Not sure why Jones wasn't appointed Skip earlier, he was the right choice, But with the Dees new midfield it has definitely taken the burden off him, although he doesn't stand out as easily. Not saying thats a bad thing.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Nathan Jones is closer to overrated than underrated. He was underrated maybe back in 2013 or 2014. How can people still say he is overrated? He's a good midfielder, but I can name thirty better midfielders.

If we're talking about underrated Melbourne midfielders, Dom Tyson comes to head first. Will be crucial to the Dees' future and often gets left out of those "future" discussions.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nathan Jones is closer to overrated than underrated. He was underrated maybe back in 2013 or 2014. How can people still say he is overrated? He's a good midfielder, but I can name thirty better midfielders.

If we're talking about underrated Melbourne midfielders, Dom Tyson comes to head first. Will be crucial to the Dees' future and often gets left out of those "future" discussions.
Agree. Good player in an ordinary side.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Jones did play with so,e sort of neck injury all of last year though. Played through and had surgery end of year. Definitely reduced his impact, probably still working his way back to 2013-14 fitness too.

Rulebook

Draftee
Apr 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
To follow on from my other thread, the most under rated players as I see it from Fans and the Media

10. Brent Stanton
Mainly due to how maligned he is by the Essendon fans. The guy had 521 touches this year and while he does have the odd brain fade he is a genuine leader of that team and rated very highly from within the club. Rarely plays a raelly bad game and has added consistency to his game which he needed badly.

9. Matthew Boyd
He is rated now but still not to the level he should be. The guy is a ball magnet and gets better every year. Leads from the front and the Dogs would have finished bottom 4 this year if it wasn't for him. Is a fantastic footballer who had had to work hard on his game to get to where he is. Sam Mitchell was under rated a couple of years back, hopefully he will get his credit that he is due in the next two years if he continues as he is.

8. Heath Scotland
Gun. Has been a gun for a while. He is maligned by some due to the way he plays (not the toughest player I've seen) But he gets plenty of the ball and always uses it. Is Carltons get out of trouble player and they will sorely miss him when he does retire. Should have been All Australian this year.

7. Scott Thompson (Adelaide)
One of the players who if he played for a big Melbourne club he would be talked about in the same light as stars of the competiton. Is tough, gets his own footy, uses it well and has shown that he can rack up heaps of touches and lead from the front. Put him in a side like Collingwood and he would be a superstar.

6. Grant Birchall
Had a great year in 2008 and has slipped off a bit but his 2011 aws probably even better than the premiership. Gets lost in a sea of Buddy, Cyril, Hodge and even Gibson love now but is easily one of their most important players and a massive reason why they went so close this year.

5. Leigh Adams
One of the most fearless small players I have seen. I guarantee if you asked casual footy fans who was a better player he or Jarryd Blair, 90% would say Blair and it's wrong. Patch is rated hugely at North and his B&F finishes the last two years show this. Uses the ball well and can kick goals.

4. Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
He isn't a great kick, but he gets a lot of the ball. He is also tough and works as hard as anyone on the field. Was looking like he would be an average player at Hawthorn but took it up several notches at Sydney and has become very important to them. Rated highly from within and has added goal kicking to his game this year.

3. Kade Simpson
Gets lost when you talk about Carltons midield of Judd, Murphy and Gibbs but is one of their most important. Uses the ball well, gets plenty of it and can be tough when required. Has stuck with the club through the hard times and now getting the rewards. Good long kick for goal and can kick them at crucial times.

2. Luke Shuey
I don't live in Perth but I'm sure he has to be rated highly there. 3rd in possessions for the Eagles for the season. Has become a hard running cog in their midfield and one of the most exciting youngsters in years. Should have at least tied for the Rising Star and would have won it had he played for Essendon and Heppel played for the Eagles

1. Tom Rockliff
I don't like him. Comes across as an arrogant little ****. But he can play footy. He is hard gets the ball and is a born leader. Brisbane would have won the spoon if it wasn't for him. Rarely gets any media attention and is again one of the players who would be a media darling if he played for a big Melbourne team.[/QUOT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back