Opinion 10 most under rated current players

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
With the media saturation of modern footy it's not as easy to be underrated as it once was. Every game is televised and every highlight is celebrated on club websites etc., so the good work that used to go unnoticed simply can't be ignored anymore. When I think about players who somehow avoid this limelight, yet are the first picked because they get the job done every week for their team, names like Sean Dempster spring to mind. He's held the St. Kilda backline together for a number of years and gets the best forward week after week.
That's All Australian Sean Dempster? If you've made an AA team you're probably suitably recognised. He's not well recognised now maybe purely because the Saints aren't very good.

Canary

All Australian
Oct 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Reading FC
The only underrated players are small defenders. From my team - Nev Jetta is only just now getting some much deserved loved, but Nick Smith and Luke Brown are two others that - not so much pop but float inconspicuously to the top of my mind.

I've read two or three pages of supporters nominating highly rated players from their own team. I'm not gunna read more of that dross, so excuse me if someone has already nominated him, but I reckon Tom Campbell is the most under-rated current player. He has beaten, or broken even with, Goldstein, Gawn and Nic Nat, and I'm guessing most AFL supporters wouldn't be able to say which team he plays for.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I've read two or three pages of supporters nominating highly rated players from their own team. I'm not gunna read more of that dross, so excuse me if someone has already nominated him, but I reckon Tom Campbell is the most under-rated current player. He has beaten, or broken even with, Goldstein, Gawn and Nic Nat, and I'm guessing most AFL supporters wouldn't be able to say which team he plays for.
Come on, now. He's not that unknown,

But yeah certainly; he's having a terrific season and ensuring all opposition rucks have no impact. He's also been killing my SuperCoach team as well; both times he played Goldy and Gawn, he reduced them to 49 apiece.

Come on, now. He's not that unknown

Lol, fair enough. I may have gotten a little hyperbolic after reading through what the others posting in this thread were defining as “under-rated”. No need to name names, but most of the suggestions in the recent pages of this thread are All-Australians, or routinely finish top 10 in their club's B&F or even top 5 in the Brownlow. FFS...

Having said that, I stand by my statement that most AFL supporters wouldn't know which team Tom Campbell plays for. I think it’s also fair to say that most AFL supporters don’t post on BF, don’t play Supercoach, and don’t know the names of players from other clubs. It’s a big world out there. I know paid up members of the Richmond FC who can’t name every player in the usual starting 22.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lol, fair enough. I may have gotten a little hyperbolic after reading through what the others posting in this thread were defining as “under-rated”. No need to name names, but most of the suggestions in the recent pages of this thread are All-Australians, or routinely finish top 10 in their club's B&F or even top 5 in the Brownlow. FFS...

Having said that, I stand by my statement that most AFL supporters wouldn't know which team Tom Campbell plays for. I think it’s also fair to say that most AFL supporters don’t post on BF, don’t play Supercoach, and don’t know the names of players from other clubs. It’s a big world out there. I know paid up members of the Richmond FC who can’t name every player in the usual starting 22.
Players who finish top 10 in a clubs B & F can still be over rated in the wider AFL community.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TheTigerEffect

Team Captain
Sep 11, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Plenty
Luke Brown
Dane Rampe
Shane Savage
Ed Curnow
Neville Jetta
Luke Shuey
Michael Walters
Ben Stratton
Nick Haynes
Anthony Miles

TigerToughSkin

Draftee
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsena; Chicago Cubs
I've always felt that Nick Haynes of GWS in severely under looked. He does a great sweeping role of Centre Half Back

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Kade Simpson if he played for a team playing regular finals he would of been AA a few times I reckon

Kony Abbott

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Kade Simpson
Dayne Zorko
Ben Stratton
Jack Steven
Rory Laird
Brodie Smith
Dean Rampe
Zac Williams
Dale Morris
Michael Johnson (this year aside)

rooboy29

All Australian
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
ben brown! when people mention up and coming gun forwards not many mention bug browny! once we finally let him be top dog he will start to really take the league by the scruff of the neck! him and wood as a 1 2 punch gonna be exciting for a few years i reckon

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
ben brown! when people mention up and coming gun forwards not many mention bug browny! once we finally let him be top dog he will start to really take the league by the scruff of the neck! him and wood as a 1 2 punch gonna be exciting for a few years i reckon
Do you think he can be a number 1? I see him as a good number 2 key tall but I don't know if he's good enough to be the number 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back