Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

I'm about to embarrass myself... Are Port Melbourne our traditional foes or allies? I think whichever it is Williamstown is the opposite. Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree? [I'm not from Melbourne and I didn't grow up with footy.]

I'm about to embarrass myself... Are Port Melbourne our traditional foes or allies? I think whichever it is Williamstown is the opposite. Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree? [I'm not from Melbourne and I didn't grow up with footy.]
Long generally friendly relationship between Port Melbourne & South Melbourne.
Essentially neighbouring suburbs, both now in the City of Port Phillip.
Although it is believed that Port were excluded from joining the VFL when it was set up due to it's rivalry and physical proximity to South. (South were a founder member).
Port played in the VFA and South in the (then) VFL. (Later the VFA became the now VFl and the VFL became the AFL).
Three of our Brownlow Medallists (Peter Bedford, Fred Goldsmith & Bobby Skilton) all played with Port at various stages of their careers.
A fourth (Barry Round) actually had a very successful post Swans career as captain-coach of Williamstown.
Williamstown more a rival of Port rather than ourselves, due to both playing in the VFA.

There was also a period in the early 2000s when the Swans & Port were aligned and a certain number of Swans reserve players were permitted to play with Port in the then VFL to gain higher level football.

Long generally friendly relationship between Port Melbourne & South Melbourne.
Essentially neighbouring suburbs, both now in the City of Port Phillip.
Although it is believed that Port were excluded from joining the VFL when it was set up due to it's rivalry and physical proximity to South. (South were a founder member).
Port played in the VFA and South in the (then) VFL. (Later the VFA became the now VFl and the VFL became the AFL).
Three of our Brownlow Medallists (Peter Bedford, Fred Goldsmith & Bobby Skilton) all played with Port at various stages of their careers.
A fourth (Barry Round) actually had a very successful post Swans career as captain-coach of Williamstown.
Williamstown more a rival of Port rather than ourselves, due to both playing in the VFA.

There was also a period in the early 2000s when the Swans & Port were aligned and a certain number of Swans reserve players were permitted to play with Port in the then VFL to gain higher level football.

Thanks so much for explaining! I think that's exactly why bells were ringing for me - albeit distantly and hazily. Very helpful.

Fast forward to the 40 second mark. Didn't know he had it in him.

For those who haven’t seen it, check these highlights from Crayfish’s last VFL game. Check his cracking goal at the 40:second mark. Seems to be as popular at the Tiges as he was with us and the Borough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back