Past Sam Naismith - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

r0_0_2864_1655_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Sam Naismith
An ACL rupture and a long list of complications wiped out Sam Naismith’s 2018 and 2019 seasons, fuelling the hunger of the chief Sydney Swans ruckman for a comeback 2020 campaign. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product is an excellent tap ruckman who’s shown promising glimpses since being drafted in November 2012, particularly as Sydney powered towards the 2016 Grand Final. The New South Welshman had always worn the number 35 before switching to the number 10 for season 2020 in search of a fresh start.

Sam Naismith
DOB: 16 July 1992
DEBUT: 2014
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2015 Rookie Elevation
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Interesting Naismith has never made the top 18 for average hit outs in a season

obviously hit outs alone are just a stat, but for a tap machine, im surprised he isnt one of the better by average

obviously hit outs alone are just a stat, but for a tap machine, im surprised he isnt one of the better by average

His role is to keep Sinclair/Reid/Aliir out of the ruck.

No, In 2016 he averaged 23 hit outs and finished in 14th place while Nankervis and Sinclair were placed 27th and 28th respectively that year.

In 2017 he averaged 27.9 hitouts and grabbed 18th spot. Nankervis at the Tigers was ranked 21st and Sinclair 38th.

Unfortunately he can’t get on the field enough because he’s decent ruck.

Interesting Sinclair in his absence made it to 15th place in 2018 averaging 29 hit outs. 2019 he slipped to 21st place averaging 25 hitouts.

Hitouts aren’t everything, Jarrod Witts was number 1 in 2019 and averaged 45 a game for a team that finished last. Gawn 39 hitouts and the Dees finished 17th.

No, In 2016 he averaged 23 hit outs and finished in 14th place while Nankervis and Sinclair were placed 27th and 28th respectively that year.

In 2017 he averaged 27.9 hitouts and grabbed 18th spot. Nankervis at the Tigers was ranked 21st and Sinclair 38th.

Interesting Sinclair in his absence made it to 15th place in 2018 averaging 29 hit outs. 2019 he slipped to 21st place averaging 25 hitouts.

Hitouts aren’t everything, Jarrod Witts was number 1 in 2019 and averaged 45 a game for a team that finished last. Gawn 39 hitouts and the Dees finished 17th.

I think the latter stat says more about the rest of the Dees than Gawn

Hitouts are important when you do little else around the ground though surely

He was 19th in 2016 with his 23

He was 21st in 2017

Where did you get your rankings? Maybe yours are correct?

I agree.
Sort of like Buddy of the last 3 years.
We’ve haven’t got bang for buck!

Totally agree

Buddy only played 53 of 69 games in that time

Only kicked 157 goals and only made all australian twice in the 3 years and only skipper one time

Compares to Naismith

Yikes. Get up on the wrong side of the bed this year The King!?

I like Naisy & think he could be more important than I think you do. Provided he can stay fit & build up his match fitness then I guess we will see.

Hey I’m not the one chucking Sinclair out his spot for the injured guy

I think Naismith Reid and Clarke are wasting list spaces For different reasons

Lloyd is used in a pointless role

And horse has expired

Thought all that before I went to bed :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry Kingy!
Perhaps the $28,000 he gets per game or the $9,554 per goal he kicks clouded my memory.:)

yeah even at that rate he has gone closer to delivering over the 3 year period in dollar value than naismith

15 games in 3 years, lets presume he is only the average 350k a year (bet its more)

23k a game,

rather pay the extra 5k for buddy

yeah even at that rate he has gone closer to delivering over the 3 year period in dollar value than naismith

15 games in 3 years, lets presume he is only the average 350k a year (bet its more)

23k a game,

rather pay the extra 5k for buddy
Naismith does need to get & stay on the ground these next few years but his tap work is critical to the team. The club has always rated this part of his game with the hope the rest of his game would develop with the more confidence he gained in his body. That has been an issue most definitely.

Naismith does need to get & stay on the ground these next few years but his tap work is critical to the team. The club has always rated this part of his game with the hope the rest of his game would develop with the more confidence he gained in his body. That has been an issue most definitely.

Unless he is going to become a top tier ruck like Gawn or Grundy then don’t bother

As he is useless out of the ruck

Won’t get to 60 games for the club is my prediction

Hope I’m wrong and he is a a star

Unless he is going to become a top tier ruck like Gawn or Grundy then don’t bother

As he is useless out of the ruck

Won’t get to 60 games for the club is my prediction

Hope I’m wrong and he is a a star

Nobody on our list is going to be a top tier ruck like Gawn or Grundy..... so what do we do now?

My view is that Naismith hasn’t been able to get any continuity with his body. After 28 games his stats, including what he does around the ground, are not that far out of line and compares reasonably well at that point to some of his peers (I did some analysis a while ago, compared well to Gawn, Jolly and Mumford from memory). Unfortunately at 27 his games tally and therefore stats don’t look great.

As for his average hitouts as others have noted they are skewed due to Sydney predominantly playing two genuine ruckman for the majority of, if not all of his games compared to most teams who during his time played a pinch hitter at best as 2nd.

I come back to 2016 when he came into the team and we went from 5th best stoppage clearance team to number 1 and our scoring from stoppages went from 7ish to around 30 (which was also #1).

I hope he can recapture that as well as build on what he does around the ground, as yes it probably isn’t good enough/ideal for a permanent #1 ruck but as noted not as outlandish as is made out given it’s based on 28 games of AFL footy (due to injury) from a player that didn’t really start playing the game until his mid-late teens.

Last edited:
Nobody on our list is going to be a top tier ruck like Gawn or Grundy..... so what do we do now?

Keep Sinclair and develop kids

Play people who do more in general play and work around the ruck weakness

Focus on strengths
As naismiths ruck work alone is not that much of an advantage to carry the rest of his output (imo)

Quote all of these metrics you like mate that’s great but it’s 28 games and hasn’t been a game since 2017

So who cares really?

Keep Sinclair and develop kids

Play people who do more in general play and work around the ruck weakness

Focus on strengths
As naismiths ruck work alone is not that much of an advantage to carry the rest of his output (imo)

Quote all of these metrics you like mate that’s great but it’s 28 games and hasn’t been a game since 2017

So who cares really?

Sinclair last year averaged an extra 3 disposals and 1 Mark than what Naismith did in 2017... hardly groundbreaking stuff.

Look you might be right but we will see either way.

I’m with king on this but just harsher, guy is a dud imo

he is ******* ordinary around the ground , doesn’t take marks. , kicks into the mark lol

Again maybe you’re right. However despite his ACL and Dean Cox coming on board he was re-signed for 3 seasons. You’d think if Cox thought he was a dud (given his ruck pedigree) then at best it would have been a smaller contract.

In any case I am looking forward to see if Cox has had a good influence on him. If not it won’t have cost us much anyway.

Again maybe you’re right. However despite his ACL and Dean Cox coming on board he was re-signed for 3 seasons. You’d think if Cox thought he was a dud (given his ruck pedigree) then at best it would have been a smaller contract.

In any case I am looking forward to see if Cox has had a good influence on him. If not it won’t have cost us much anyway.
Cox isn’t in charge of list management though

I’m just going off what I seen on the field from him and it’s ******* ordinary at best

Imo Naismith is as good as we've got at the moment and even if he only plays at the same level as pre knee reco then that's going to boost our output. Has anyone seen Knoll play? Why didn't we give him a run last year? Finished n top five in 2km trial recently and is a good size. How much improvement can the NEAFL provide? Didn't help Darcy Cameron. I recall last year when Reilly O'Brien started playing for Adelaide he looked out of his depth, but with more AFL experience he developed to the point of keeping Jacobs out. Now is the perfect time to test someone like Knoll and fastrack his development. s**t just realised Knoll is 26 already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back