Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure he's got more important matters to concern him with than what one fan like myself calls him, and whether you are offended on his behalf.
I couldn’t care less personally but if the guy says he doesn’t like the name simply out of respect I won’t call him that
But you do you

Was much better last night. You could see him being down on confidence with a few early kicks / disposals being horrible.

But after that his disposal and creativity certainly improved.

Good to see him on the up.

Was much better last night. You could see him being down on confidence with a few early kicks / disposals being horrible.

But after that his disposal and creativity certainly improved.

Good to see him on the up.

Agreed mate.

A lot of people have been really down on Shedda the last few weeks and he's been very ordinary, sometimes worse, but he's had some very slow starts to seasons even in our successful years (more clangers than a lack of getting ball); the difference is we were winning and few noticed.

The thing which made him an elite player was his footy brain and his endurance to get to so many contests and neither of those things have diminished, even if he has perhaps lost a little pace.

If we're pushing for finals, you just have to back Shedda in to work his way into something resembling his best form and bring his special brand of magic.

Agreed mate.

A lot of people have been really down on Shedda the last few weeks and he's been very ordinary, sometimes worse, but he's had some very slow starts to seasons even in our successful years (more clangers than a lack of getting ball); the difference is we were winning and few noticed.

The thing which made him an elite player was his footy brain and his endurance to get to so many contests and neither of those things have diminished, even if he has perhaps lost a little pace.

If we're pushing for finals, you just have to back Shedda in to work his way into something resembling his best form and bring his special brand of magic.
I. Love shedda, but he had two disposals early. One handball fluff and a stray kick. Let's be honest. He was a high IQ player but atm he is playing with pretty much no IQ. Can't carry aging players when we need to develop our future.

I. Love shedda, but he had two disposals early. One handball fluff and a stray kick. Let's be honest. He was a high IQ player but atm he is playing with pretty much no IQ. Can't carry aging players when we need to develop our future.
Mitchell would drop him. Get tough Dimma we have others and with leg speed. Move up and move on.

the great Royce f****n Hart called time on his career mid season 1977 when realised he'd turned into a hinderance to the betterment of the club
yes that Royce Hart,one of,if not,in most eyes,the greatest Richmond player ever,yes ever
what happened 11 weeks later ? we played finals.
3 yrs later we won a flag
Edwards is done,we are not a Faaaaarkin charity,Dimma pull your head outta ya caboose an reward form FFS
Give Edwards every opportunity to find form in the VFL,if hes good enuuf he'll make it back in,if not, so be it

Mitchell would drop him. Get tough Dimma we have others and with leg speed. Move up and move on.
Agree, people say he’s a 3 time premiership hero well Bartlett, Hart, Bourke Sheedy Clay et al all retired when it was time and they had 4 and more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the great Royce f****n Hart called time on his career mid season 1977 when realised he'd turned into a hinderance to the betterment of the club
yes that Royce Hart,one of,if not,in most eyes,the greatest Richmond player ever,yes ever
what happened 11 weeks later ? we played finals.
3 yrs later we won a flag
Edwards is done,we are not a Faaaaarkin charity,Dimma pull your head outta ya caboose an reward form FFS
Give Edwards every opportunity to find form in the VFL,if hes good enuuf he'll make it back in,if not, so be it
True, but his knee was ****ed.

So your argument is that he's mysteriously forgotten how to play football?

He worked his way into the game well and his footy IQ was clearly on display, you've just chosen to focus on a very small part of the game to support your argument and chosen to pretend the majority of the game which doesn't support your argument didn't happen.

He worked his way into the game well and his footy IQ was clearly on display, you've just chosen to focus on a very small part of the game to support your argument and chosen to pretend the majority of the game which doesn't support your argument didn't happen.
The more encouraging thing for me out of his game on Friday isn’t so much that he got his hands on it it was he was making good decisions with it and hitting targets

The most disappointing aspects of his other games his season were the missed handballs and kicks, if he is in the team this week I’ll back him to continue to gain some confidence again and play some decent footy

The more encouraging thing for me out of his game on Friday isn’t so much that he got his hands on it it was he was making good decisions with it and hitting targets

Yep, I thought it was an encouraging glimpse of better form to come.

The most disappointing aspects of his other games his season were the missed handballs and kicks

I've been making the point for a few weeks that he's routinely done the same to start seasons in our best years. Those inexplicable moments where he streams through the centre under no pressure with a target free inside 50 and then kicks an absolute grubber (worse than anyone else in football) and we all go 'no big deal, Shedda's a gun ball user and that was just an anomaly.'

This year, with so much more scrutiny on his spot and our form as a team, instead of being seen as anomalies, those moments are getting noticed and amplified way beyond their relevance to the big picture. They've always happened, it was just irrelevant when we won anyway and his position in the side was beyond question.

It's bloody hard to use the ball the way Shedda has and does. If he's a little bit 'off' he can be a liability when the ball is in his hands, but we wear it and keep getting the ball to him because the payoff is so sublime when he's 'on' and we know it's just a matter of time until that happens.

After having watched him turn it around for the last half decade, I see no reason to think he's not capable of doing the same this year.

My argument which really doesn't need to be explained but I will try anyway.

No pretending here as its been pretty obvious to most.
Edwards is a LONG long way off his best form.......
Could be because of Father hood--sleep time loss ? lack of comfidense? take your pick.

Should retire immediately. I think we've lost at least two games bc he's played as we got run over in the last quarters of those games. The rest of the midfield is trying to carry him, but it's putting more weight on their shoulders which has lead to fatigue and even possibly injuries to our midfielders. Sorry it's not fair on the team and all stakeholders of the RFC.

Last edited:
Should retire immediately. I think we've lost at least two games bc he's played as we got run over in the last quarters of those games. The rest of the midfield is trying to carry him, but it's putting more weight on their shoulders which has lead to fatigue and even possibly injuries to our midfielders. Sorry it's not fair on the team and all stakeholders of the RFC.
give him his chance to find touch in the VFL then take it from there.Cant be carrying outta sorts midfielders for weeks,faaaark that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back