Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Cats to remain in premiership mix, data suggests

I know this article is mainly about the Cats but if you go to the bottom half he goes through teams that have elite players as ranked by Champion Data. Here is the kicker Shane Edwards is ranked elite with the usual suspects Lids, Riewoldt and Rance. But it says that Cotchin is only Above average.

Right at the end it says the criteria for the rankings is based of position but still what position is Edwards in to be in the top 10% of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Statistics and ranking points have completely dumbed down watching footy for a lot of people.
This isn't s**t canning Edwards but everyone knows he is not elite.
It's like the way Americans watch the NBA these days.
To many it's all about a set of numbers and fantasy teams completely ignoring a players output.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Lol. Shane Edwards ranked above Cotchin in anything. Ha ha...
He's not
Statistics and ranking points have completely dumbed down watching footy for a lot of people.
This isn't s**t canning Edwards but everyone knows he is not elite.
It's like the way Americans watch the NBA these days.
To many it's all about a set of numbers and fantasy teams completely ignoring a players output.
In this context yes he is

Here's a stab in the dark at comprehension skills:
He is not being compared to Cotchin and he is not being called elite compared to every player in the league! He is being compared to players who play the SAME POSITION as him. Not every player that plays the game. I mean honestly the comprehension skills on this forum is an absolute joke.

Westicle

All Australian
Feb 20, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
The stats are based on the 2014 season and ranks players by their position.

Titch had a huge season and was in the top 10% of HFFs in the AFL. Cotch only had a good season and was not ranked in the top 10% of midfielders.

Taken in isolation I don't think it is unfair to call Shane's 2014 season elite; he was fantastic and just keeps on getting better.

Of course Shane Edwards is elite. His a life member of the RFC. Are there any other criteria?

He is being compared to players who play the SAME POSITION as him.

CHF? I reckon his been named at CHF every game for 2 years. Maybe more. Not sure Shane is a better CHF than Nick Riewoldt.

Someone at Champion Data made a decision about what position Sheds plays. I'd like to know what it was, and how many other players were in the category of inside mid winger forward pocket. I reckon he is actually elite at what he does, but not many other players do what he does, so I dunno who you compare him with, in order to benchmark him.

I tend to agree with Rodney. These sorts of statistical rankings are not a replacement for a football brain, but sadly, that's what they get used for.

Don't get me started on fantasy leagues. There's a big section of the Aussie Rules community who are fantastic at fantasy footy, but I fear that spending time becoming expert in fantasy footy means there is less time spent understanding actual footy.

Of course Shane Edwards is elite. His a life member of the RFC. Are there any other criteria?

CHF? I reckon his been named at CHF every game for 2 years. Maybe more. Not sure Shane is a better CHF than Nick Riewoldt.

Someone at Champion Data made a decision about what position Sheds plays. I'd like to know what it was, and how many other players were in the category of inside mid winger forward pocket. I reckon he is actually elite at what he does, but not many other players do what he does, so I dunno who you compare him with, in order to benchmark him.

I tend to agree with Rodney. These sorts of statistical rankings are not a replacement for a football brain, but sadly, that's what they get used for.

Don't get me started on fantasy leagues. There's a big section of the Aussie Rules community who are fantastic at fantasy footy, but I fear that spending time becoming expert in fantasy footy means there is less time spent understanding actual footy.

Titch is a true CHF, in the same way Griggs is a true ruckman

Craze

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
I'm a fan of Edwards but simply doesn't get the ball often enough to impact games, as the elite do. As Jack Dyer would say, he 'gets to where the ball aint'

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I'm a fan of Edwards but simply doesn't get the ball often enough to impact games, as the elite do. As Jack Dyer would say, he 'gets to where the ball aint'
Horseshit.

He averaged about half a dozen disposals fewer than Martin, all of which can be accounted for by Martin being fed the ball across half back to unleash his devastating line-breaking kick. No one feeds Shane, he is the feeder.

Statistics also fail to count the number of strips, knock-ons etc, which can be massive momentum changers/builders, and at which Sheds is truly elite.

I'm firmly in the fan of Titch camp - has that uncanny ability to do a quick release handball or kick when under immediate pressure.

I've always liked him as a forward where his nimble movement and flair make him dangerous around the goals but I'm starting to think he will become a great outside player around stoppages in the next few years. He's started to add a bit more inside ability to his game but I reckon he could be really dangerous as an outside player.

With Miles and hopefully a few others helping beef up our ball winning in the middle, if they can get it in the hands of players like Edwards, Gordon and Ellis, we'll be causing teams all sorts of problems with our outside runners.

Got his life membership to the RFC this offseason I think and our senior Indigenous player at the club as well as a great ambassador to have.

If he had the size of a mid fielder and not a small forward, he would one of the best players in the comp, but he doesnt :(

he has elcetric hands in close, a side step second to none and could be elite if played as a small forward, but he actually spends quite a bit of time up the ground and is our go to guy when we need something to happen a centre bounce.

He is also a great mark for his size.

Severely underrated.

He's not

In this context yes he is

Here's a stab in the dark at comprehension skills:
He is not being compared to Cotchin and he is not being called elite compared to every player in the league! He is being compared to players who play the SAME POSITION as him. Not every player that plays the game. I mean honestly the comprehension skills on this forum is an absolute joke.
Comprehension is fine knackers.
In no way,shape or form is Shane Edwards elite.
To my eyes anyway.
In any position or in any field.
My argument was that it's ridiculous to use a set of statistics to say that he is when my own eyes tell me he's not.

Comprehension is fine knackers.
In no way,shape or form is Shane Edwards elite.
To my eyes anyway.
In any position or in any field.
My argument was that it's ridiculous to use a set of statistics to say that he is when my own eyes tell me he's not.
The article is based on stats, therefore based on those stats he is elite. As we know stats can be manipulated etc.

The article is based on stats, therefore based on those stats he is elite. As we know stats can be manipulated etc.
Yeah I get that.
My point is that we use all these crazy stats just to find a reason for somebody to be "elite".

Yeah agree with above to an extent.
Don't want to turn it into a Shane Edwards bash fest .
He's got some great qualities he brings to the team and improves every year.

Back