Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I clearly have a differing view on Edwards.

Just my opinion but i think he was ordinary from 07 - 16 apart from three very good but short periods those being the start first half of 2010 the second half of 2012 and the start of 2015 until injury.

Granted the last three yrs in particular 18 and 19 have been very good seasons where he finally showed some real long term consistency.

I suppose when you get two premierships the early times are forgotten and they all suddenly become invincible champs.

His pros have always been his hands and his evasiveness his hands have ALWAYS BEEN ELITE.But imo that is where his elite traits stop.
Just my opinion but the gap from his best to his worst remained for too long too wide a gap.

If i was asked to rate him over the entirety of his career then all can say is mostly ordinary from 07 to 16 a period where the ordinary games far outweighed the good ones.

Its interesting to go over Edwards threads on different sites what i have said above really is backed up by the commentary on those threads.

For a lot of people he is now a premiership hero and a champion and that is all that is looked at.I dont mind the former description but the latter i have a few problems with.

Just to finish i will say the back end of his career he has become a very good player but by crikey it took a long time.

In reading this thread i am loath to make these comments as i saw the crap that a very good and honest poster like Goldust had to put up with
and have no wish to go thru the same sort of vitriol and antagonistic posting that he had to put up with, just for taking an opposing view.

So my last comments is you are all entitled to your opinion and you may be right, but i am happy to disagree and will leave it at that as no amount of debate will change my opinion on the entirety of his career.

He is a player who it seems has polarised supporters over his input and where he sits for the majority of his career. While i dont rate a large part of that career i am very grateful that he was a part of a team that stopped 34 yrs of misery not just for myself but all tiger supporters and actually played a significant role in ending that misery thru what has been now three very good finals campaigns.

One of those "short periods" , iirc, he was top5 in the afl coaches votes

So he was doing something right

TigerTime17

All Australian
Sep 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Congratulations to him and his partner, wonderful news!

Selfishly I cannot wait to see him back with the team. Going from Dimma’s comments at his presser he should be flying up to Queensland on the 1st of September!

Yes, I read somewhere that there is another lot of players coming on the 1st September and that was suppose to include Gary Ablett.

Thing is that Geelong went to the AFL and asked for special travel arrangements for him so he could travel on his own earlier so he could play sooner. I wonder then why the AFL couldn't include all those from the 1st September to collectively come earlier if they wanted with GAJ.

Or are the AFL only concerned with the mangy cats players.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Yes, I read somewhere that there is another lot of players coming on the 1st September and that was suppose to include Gary Ablett.

Thing is that Geelong went to the AFL and asked for special travel arrangements for him so he could travel on his own earlier so he could play sooner. I wonder then why the AFL couldn't include all those from the 1st September to collectively come earlier if they wanted with GAJ.

Or are the AFL only concerned with the mangy cats players.
If Ablett can come early, anyone will be able to join him. Not even Shocking would be that blatant.

This aflw side is going to be mint
I was just thinking that. Two Cotchin’s, a Richardson, a Riewoldt and now an Edwards!!! If we’re lucky all of them will follow their daddies into football and we’ll be rocking the AFLW in 20 years time. :D

We have put in a submission to the AFL for shedda to fly up to qld on Friday with Gazza junior and live and train with him for two weeks and be ready for the cats game.
I just saw that...Geelong and Richmond working together...has hell frozen over?

It won’t happen, but damn we can dream Shedda will be lining up against Geelong in 2 weeks.

Back