Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

It was just another pointless contribution backing another of your fellow 'positive set' posters who derailed the thread with a swipe at my supposed brand of negative posting. I had never heard of Hot Tigers or whoever he is until today and he chimed in with a post all about me ..... not about Shane Edwards .. and has again derail the thread, which is what a lot you Utopian or role coloured glass posters do before crying wolf time and time again.
Now, Edwards, I think it;s time we move on from a guy who has shown no consistency and as a leader of this club has shown nothing in the way of form or leadership in our three biggest games in the past four years. As stated previously, I would gladly offer up his spot in the team to ensure Menadue gets games, or maybe unearthing the next Edwards .. scrap that .. the next Rioli in Bolton or Stengle. I know exactly what Edwards brings to the table - I have watched 180 of 188 games either live or on TV. And I know exactly what Edwards can't do. Feel free to debate this ... it's what the thread is for. And stop derailing threads with nonsense sfellowing and half liners that add nothing except to your own and one other guy's amusement.

Might never of heard of me because I don't write 50 posts a day bagging the hell out of the club...

Anyhow, one thing I agree on its an Edwards thread so im sure we would all love to hear how you would move him on through lack of consistency another 20 times today.

Might never of heard of me because I don't write 50 posts a day bagging the hell out of the club...

Anyhow, one thing I agree on its an Edwards thread so im sure we would all love to hear how you would move him on through lack of consistency another 20 times today.
Sorry i have to disagree with you here as I appreciate the work done by all posters on here providing they stick to the topic.
Now you opened the batting with personal insults on GD rather than playing the topic being discussed in the thread. In actual fact you ruined a good debate as posters from both sides were bringing some great facts and stats to the debate.You also carried on with the liberally researched one liner "always negative" right up to this post ("I don't write 50 posts a day bagging the hell out of the club" )after Goldust had posted at least three positive posts. I have my doubts on the quality of poster the minute they start a conversation discriminating posters with the labels positive and negative . It's a forum about the RFC not about your mother's inability to bake scones for the CWA. I see all posts providing on topic and within BF rules as being positive.If it upsets you so much that you have to post snide remarks then i best suggest to put the poster on Ignore.
Anyway have a good year and just to inform you i'm going in feeling positive about our season as the changes we made in the off season were impressive.
This won't stop me from talking about the past though if a situation arises such as the Chocco thread where people were accusing Chocco for all sorts of atrocities ,only to be told straight by a gentleman in the know.

Last edited:
Sorry i have to disagree with you here as I appreciate the work done by all posters on here providing they stick to the topic.
Now you opened the batting with personal insults on GD rather than playing the topic being discussed in the thread. In actual fact you ruined a good debate as posters from both sides were bringing some great facts and stats to the debate.You also carried on with the liberally researched one liner "always negative" right up to this post ("I don't write 50 posts a day bagging the hell out of the club" )after Goldust had posted at least three positive posts. I have my doubts on the quality of poster the minute they start a conversation discriminating posters with the labels positive and negative . It's a forum about the RFC not about your mother's inability to cook scones for the CWA. I see all posts providing on topic and within BF rules as being positive.If it upsets you so much that you have to post snide remarks then i best suggest to put the poster on Ignore.
Anyway have a good year and just to inform you i'm going in feeling positive about our season as the changes we made in the off season were impressive.
This won't stop me from talking about the past though if a situation arises such as the Chocco thread where trolls were accusing Chocco for all sorts of atrocities ,only to be told straight by a gentleman in the know.

Once again no personal insults and I challenge you to find one, I was insulting the content, which are positively negative.

I agree the topic was taken off course and I apologize for that, and I have stopped having a crack as its somewhat pointless, but it grates not only me but others (just look at past month or so), I think you may have been accused of similar traits in the past so its interesting you pop up now.

Glad your feeling positive mate and appreciate the interjection and advice, I am certainly looking forward to watching the guys tomorrow over a few beers.

Once again no personal insults and I challenge you to find one, I was insulting the content, which are positively negative.

I agree the topic was taken off course and I apologize for that, and I have stopped having a crack as its somewhat pointless, but it grates not only me but others (just look at past month or so), I think you may have been accused of similar traits in the past so its interesting you pop up now.

Glad your feeling positive mate and appreciate the interjection and advice, I am certainly looking forward to watching the guys tomorrow over a few beers.
No offence taken and given , also I respect a person more who humbles themselves via an apology.

Please explain no premierships since '80.
No finals wins since '2001.
Five finals series since '83.
Three straight elimination finals losses in five of those final series, including one loss to a team who got a charity-berth into the finals.
It does not make for a rosy picture, but not a thing went wrong?
And a review that backed major changes in administration, coaching roles and set-up, but nothing went wrong?
So in effect you are saying don't identify the negatives or be objective, I get it.
Putting rose coloured glasses on nodding one's head is not a constructive way forward.
Sounds to it;s either personal against me, or you just can't handle anyone being constructive or criticising the club - likely a mixture of both.
We are not the only side to do badly over the years...
You make it sound as if the Tigers have a mortgage on badly...

My thoughts on Edwards,

He has one elite quality in his hands, but he is physically small, not exceptionally quick, has average foot skills and I believe he has underperformed under pressure in finals.

He may have once been best 22 but not now, the question is where does he fit in, the midfield bats deep with bigger and more aggressive players or faster more explosive types so I can't see him in there

He is not tall or fast or elite outside so I can't see him on the wing or HFF and he can't play back, that leaves him as a small forward which I think is his best position but we now have players with more weapons and more X factor that I would develop ahead of him.

If that's being negative then so be it but I believe he is overrated by many like some others and because they have 1 outstanding feature the rest of their game is overlooked.

My thoughts on Edwards,

He has one elite quality in his hands, but he is physically small, not exceptionally quick, has average foot skills and I believe he has underperformed under pressure in finals.

He may have once been best 22 but not now, the question is where does he fit in, the midfield bats deep with bigger and more aggressive players or faster more explosive types so I can't see him in there

He is not tall or fast or elite outside so I can't see him on the wing or HFF and he can't play back, that leaves him as a small forward which I think is his best position but we now have players with more weapons and more X factor that I would develop ahead of him.

If that's being negative then so be it but I believe he is overrated by many like some others and because they have 1 outstanding feature the rest of their game is overlooked.
Still best 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but I would play Caddy, Martin, Lennon, Lloyd, Rioli and Vlastuin at HF before Edwards, in time I would add Bolton also.

Edwards Better then lambert deledio and vickery gone still a half foward spot for Edwards

6 forward spots
  • Jack Riewoldt
  • Ben Griffiths
  • Ben Lennon
  • Daniel Rioli
  • Sam Lloyd
  • Dustin Martin/Trent Cotchin/Josh Caddy

6 forward spots
  • Jack Riewoldt
  • Ben Griffiths
  • Ben Lennon
  • Daniel Rioli
  • Sam Lloyd
  • Dustin Martin/Trent Cotchin/Josh Caddy
Lennon is the weakest link so his spot is not a lock ,although I would like it to be. Sheds will start most likely on the bench with the other 20 blokes who are best 22. According to a lot of blokes on here nearly every player is best 22.

Lennon is the weakest link so his spot is not a lock ,although I would like it to be. Sheds will start most likely on the bench with the other 20 blokes who are best 22. According to a lot of blokes on here nearly every player is best 22.
Townsend and Elton definitely best 22, TI ... we have considerable depth!o_O

Agree but Lennon offers overhead marking power which you need in spades if your playing a smaller more mobile forward line.

Griffiths is no lock either IMO

Will Griff cope with the extra workload of being one4 of only two tall forwards and replacing Vickery?
History suggests no.
Replace Vickery? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Several candidates down at the mortuary could have a better output than the 2016 Ty. Unless you think flapping our arms around hanging out the back for the easy goal is something we are going to miss big time....

shane_woewodin_2000_169e1el-169e1h7.jpg
That's the reverse: an elite Brownlow record for a woeful player.

Yeah, but in Woewoeful's case, and that of Teasdale, Brian Wilson and a few others, you cannot question they had that 'one great season' where they were the best or close to it!
Are you saying Titch needs to copy Woewoeful and hire Shane Charter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back