Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked like the Edwards of early 2015. My problem is that he cannot play injured. All players end up carrying injuries through a year. Edwards has had the problem of completely going AWOL when he gets any sort of injury. Maybe his body has matured a bit more and can cope with more knocks, but it is often a mental thing with players. They have to have the mental strength to cope with carrying injuries - the best certainly do. I just hope he has also gained mental strength to cope with the issues of playing with the knocks and tissue injuries associated with playing at the highest level.

Agree 100%. He definitely got concussed by Franklin late 2015, and then had a 'minor' broken leg (how the hell is a broken leg anything 'minor'?). He may have had hotspots, stress fractures etc from that (he still may) - I just know that up to mid-2015 he was in our top 8 players - since the concussion, he has not.

Was just thinking we've seen a few through to some good game totals.

The Burgoyne brothers, Long, Goodes, Wanganeen, McLeod, Davis, Winmar, Farmer, O'Loughlin, couple of Johnsons, and couple of Kicketts, Pickett, a couple of Krakours, Wells, Lewis, a couple of Matera's, Rioli, White, Wirrapanda, Stokes. There has only been a couple of hundred in total, so most of that lot passed or close to 30. Pretty good mob that lot!
Derek kickett 152 games
Dale kickett 181 games
Pickett played 177 games
Long played 190 games..

Good effort dont get me wrong.. but longevity is a strange look on it.
Not many of the guys you mentioned played 300 games.
Thats what i call longevity

Derek kickett 152 games
Dale kickett 181 games
Pickett played 177 games
Long played 190 games..

Good effort dont get me wrong.. but longevity is a strange look on it.
Not many of the guys you mentioned played 300 games.
Thats what i call longevity

The discussion was more about Titch playing beyond 30 and I suggested that some of the indigenous boys may have better longevity and you said that was a long bow, and all I did was find indigenous lads who did just that, probably better than 10%. That they played 300 games wasn't so much the point of the earlier discussion but rather that Titch might well go past age 30 and beyond.

They actually did a pre season
Geez he laid a tackle but wait it was from behind.
Should not post on this thread or say anything about him i just hate so many parts of his game.
He will let us down when we most need the likes of him, mature 2nd tier players to stand up.

Good pre season or not it will revert back to mediocrity after all we have what a 11 12 yr history of it.

Should not post on this thread or say anything about him i just hate so many parts of his game.
He will let us down when we most need the likes of him, mature 2nd tier players to stand up.

Good pre season or not it will revert back to mediocrity after all we have what a 11 12 yr history of it.
You're probably right claw but do't ruin the party! Enjoy it while it lasts because as you said it may not last long! And miracles occur every now and again. Titch might be one of them.;)

As someone previously mentioned, he looked alot quicker than last year.

Injury free pre season always helps. People forget he missed a fair chunk of last years pre season due to injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The discussion was more about Titch playing beyond 30 and I suggested that some of the indigenous boys may have better longevity and you said that was a long bow, and all I did was find indigenous lads who did just that, probably better than 10%. That they played 300 games wasn't so much the point of the earlier discussion but rather that Titch might well go past age 30 and beyond.

I was suggesting that he will be lucky to get another 2 years if he doesn't go back to his 2015 form where he was obviously very very good.

It had nothing to do with being indigenous just more to the fact that we have a young quick list and if these guys develop well and he doesn't show consistent good form then i could see him retire or be shown the door at 30 or there abouts (he's 28 now and 29 in OCT), if he plays to 2015 form then obviously it would be his decision.

I was suggesting that he will be lucky to get another 2 years if he doesn't go back to his 2015 form where he was obviously very very good.

It had nothing to do with being indigenous just more to the fact that we have a young quick list and if these guys develop well and he doesn't show consistent good form then i could see him retire or be shown the door at 30 or there abouts (he's 28 now and 29 in OCT), if he plays to 2015 form then obviously it would be his decision.

Agreed, except I was the one who suggested that perhaps the indigenous boys had good longevity in the game - you were out of that discussion at that point. The response you just responded to was my response to Crumpet and had little to do with you in that moment.

Agreed, except I was the one who suggested that perhaps the indigenous boys had good longevity in the game - you were out of that discussion at that point. The response you just responded to was my response to Crumpet and had little to do with you in that moment.

Agree and like any bodies the indiginous chaps may have more or less (obviously generalizing) bodies for longevity, however form will determine this IMO and that may very well have to do with Shane's body longevity..

I think we all hope he can get back to 2015 form!

Agree and like any bodies the indiginous chaps may have more or less (obviously generalizing) bodies for longevity, however form will determine this IMO and that may very well have to do with Shane's body longevity..

I think we all hope he can get back to 2015 form!

Agreed, any coach worth his salt will select on form, with the one extenuating event being finals and probably the grand final. There have been a couple of well documented inclusions by great coaches that prove that.

Titch will need form, but like Shaun Burgoyne, Titch might endure because he has some silky skills when healthy. Yes, first half of 2015 form would do just nicely, when he was being hailed momentarily at least the Richmond's most valuable player.

Which Rioli did he play alongside,when he last had a pre season ?
or when did he have the benefit of going through a midfield which had Cotchin, Martin, Miles, Caddy Prestia, Vlaustin ?
The form of Oleg and Short late last year , along with the recruitment of two genuine inside mids is going to have a positive affect on many.
Whilst the club has the likes of Hunt , Houli and Grigg at the club , Titch is the far from the biggest concern re going missing .
IMO , he is one player who actually stands up and can regain momentum and swing the game into our favour when things are tight.

Last edited:
TBH he's still a great player to have but he hasn't really lived up to he's potential. Whenever a player gets their debut at the tender age of 18 you would think they have a bright future ahead of them. Hopefully this doesn't happen to young Daniel Rioli...

End of the day, nothing will change with Edwards. Yep, he laid a tackle ... clap, clap ... and he'll dish out a great handball somewhere and even have a standout game once every eight weeks. Just enouigh to seduce you. But the Shane Edwards' of this world will suck you dry. They're blind alleys. The sun shining on a September afternoon and he'll be missing. But it won't be his fault and you'll think back to that day against Brisbane at the Gabba, or Gold Coast at the MCG when he was good and you'll give him another year to redeem himself in a game that counts ... and you might even convince yourself. Hawthorn or Sydney would be interested in a non-finals performer a the icing of the cake and we'll offload him for a first rounder (as gets bandied about every year for the last five years). Yes there'll be that one big play again ... perhaps even this week in Mt Gambier v Port ... and you'll think it will become a consistent thing .. but it won't! But like all things that let you down, there'll always be excuses .. and plenty of them! The fact we are even having this conversation about consistency in his 11th year just about sums it up.

End of the day, nothing will change with Edwards. Yep, he laid a tackle ... clap, clap ... and he'll dish out a great handball somewhere and even have a standout game once every eight weeks. Just enouigh to seduce you. But the Shane Edwards' of this world will suck you dry. They're blind alleys. The sun shining on a September afternoon and he'll be missing. But it won't be his fault and you'll think back to that day against Brisbane at the Gabba, or Gold Coast at the MCG when he was good and you'll give him another year to redeem himself in a game that counts ... and you might even convince yourself. Hawthorn or Sydney would be interested in a non-finals performer a the icing of the cake and we'll offload him for a first rounder (as gets bandied about every year for the last five years). Yes there'll be that one big play again ... perhaps even this week in Mt Gambier v Port ... and you'll think it will become a consistent thing .. but it won't! But like all things that let you down, there'll always be excuses .. and plenty of them! The fact we are even having this conversation about consistency in his 11th year just about sums it up.
Go outside and get some fresh air

Which Rioli did he play alongside,when he last had a pre season ?
or when did he have the benefit of going through a midfield which had Cotchin, Martin, Miles, Caddy Prestia, Vlaustin ?
The form of Oleg and Short late last year , along with the recruitment of two genuine inside mids is going to have a positive affect on many.
Whilst the club has the likes of Hunt , Houli and Grigg at the club , Titch is the far from the biggest concern re going missing .
IMO , he is one player who actually stands up and can regain momentum and swing the game into our favour when things are tight.

I agree.

But this underlines that he produces consistently, at a high level, this year or he's out.
The synergistic benefit of all you mentioned above must be realised this year, with Edwards and a few others. It's a team game and when they all lift, we add some quality mids and some genuine speed...well they will all play better. That's the essence of team sport.
I saw enough on Friday to suggest he's now physically ok again, so that excuse is gone also.
I'm willing to back him.

Shane Edwards
28 years old
187 Games (will play his 200 this year)
10 year player

Why cant i remember him ever having a BOG game
How many times has he finished in top 5 in B&F

If we get offered a pick in the top 30-35 - Trade

Titch has X-Factor...he can and does produce the magical touch that sparks an attack out of nothing!...either with a handball/run or kick...
Its a rare quality...he has it...
Thats a quality in a player i would not trade away...
Yes he had a poor year last...he was injured...he played in a shite weakened side under a shite game plan...he was not alone in having a poor year...
Over his injuries and with a better team plan and better players in the side like the load will shift...
Providing the attacking spark will not be so burdensome or injury inducing like last season for such a small player...
Titch will have a ripper year playing in an improved uninjured side...hopefully ditto the game plan...
Cream on the cake is Titch...pure instinct...i love him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back