Official Club Stuff 10 Year Deal With Puma

Pana43

Rookie
Aug 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Looks like I’m in the minority, but I actually like the voice over... comes across as genuine and not over the top. Last thing I wanna hear is some epic “can you smell what we’re cooking..” type rubbish. Time for our on field performance to do the talking.

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Final thoughts on the new gear: it’s the little things that make all the difference. it’s undoubtably a step up in quality and range, if a touch underwhelming and safe from a design point of view. That there is now official kids apparel is a huge win, for instance, and is the biggest addition to an improvement in the overall offering.

I think the decision to forgo the Club’s offical wreathed logo for the monogram on all our supporter and team wear was made with the best intentions - as a point of difference between what we’ve had the last few years with Nike - but it doesn’t work and is a departure they’ll need to correct down the line.

Using the monogram on our apparel and supporter range shows a fundamental - if forgivable - misunderstanding of our brand and what ought to be used where.

the linked monogram is only as it is because textile manufacturing technologies of the day weren’t sophisticated enough to separate the letters. Simple. So the club compromised and it inadvertently became a (brilliant) symbol of Carlton. This monogram lived side-by-side with our official wreathed or corporate logo.

In the mid 2000s we moved away from the wreath and adopted the more basic and unimpressive ‘corporate-lite’ logo, only to see the error and return to the correct logo for our 150th year. It’s a bit frustrating we’ve again binned the best badge in the AFL so soon after.

Our apparel should always display our ‘badge’. It should always display the wreathed logo. sure it’s a quirk to have two active logos, but it’s part and parcel of our brand and the club’s story.

Last edited:

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Might come across as petty but compare this puma range to Richmond’s. Miles apart in terms of quality. Why are we settling for second best?
Like was said above, it's probably gone the conservative route so early on in the partnership, keeping it pretty simple and safe. In all likelihood it will expand as it goes.

Nick2086

Draftee
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Final thoughts on the new gear: it’s the little things that make all the difference. it’s undoubtably a step up in quality and range, if a touch underwhelming and safe from a design point of view. That there is now official kids apparel is a huge win, for instance, and is the biggest addition to an improvement in the overall offering.

I think the decision to forgo the Club’s offical wreathed logo for the monogram on all our supporter and team wear was made with the best intentions - as a point of difference between what we’ve had the last few years with Nike - but it doesn’t work and is a departure they’ll need to correct down the line.

Using the monogram on our apparel and supporter range shows a fundamental - if forgivable - misunderstanding of our brand and what ought to be used where.

the linked monogram is only as it is because textile manufacturing technologies of the day weren’t sophisticated enough to separate the letters. Simple. So the club compromised and it inadvertently became a (brilliant) symbol of Carlton. This monogram lived side-by-side with our official wreathed or corporate logo.

In the mid 2000s we moved away from the wreath and adopted the more basic and unimpressive ‘corporate-lite’ logo, only to see the error and return to the correct logo for our 150th year. It’s a bit frustrating we’ve again binned the best badge in the AFL so soon after.

Our apparel should always display our ‘badge’. It should always display the wreathed logo. sure it’s a quirk to have two active logos, but it’s part and parcel of our brand and the club’s story.
I 100% agree, and am really disappointed that our wonderful badge is now replaced with just the Monogram. Which really should be reserved purely for our Guernsey. I hope that it gains enough traction and Puma / Carlton can amend it for 2021

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Checked it out at lunchtime.

Not much in store, polos, trianing singlets, rainjackets, a hoodie and puffer jackets. No pants or shorts yet.

Rest of the merch will be out by the end of November.

Our new jumper will be revealed and on sale Nov 19th.

I know they're replacing the whole range so it takes a little while but it was odd having puffer jackets and raincoats on sale but no training shorts for summer.

A bit expensive too, although I figure the club is getting a little more per purchase than with nike. I'll wait for the sales at the end of next season.

Franc de Borges

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 5, 2010
Behind Sunglasses
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Australia
The Club misinterpreted the return of the old CFC almost right from the start. What was supposed to simply evoke the past and make the guernsey look stronger was seen to be what ‘we’ wanted everywhere, and it’s been popping up where it doesn’t belong ever since.

It’s seen on the trainer’s jackets below, but it’s seldom been used in this way (John Goold has the wreath on his dressing gown). Hopefully they revert back in the future.

1572584922757.jpeg

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
The Club misinterpreted the return of the old CFC almost right from the start. What was supposed to simply evoke the past and make the guernsey look stronger was seen to be what ‘we’ wanted everywhere, and it’s been popping up where it doesn’t belong ever since.

It’s seen on the trainer’s jackets below, but it’s seldom been used in this way (John Goold has the wreath on his dressing gown). Hopefully they revert back in the future.

View attachment 773100
Spot on. The fanbase only intended the return of the ‘heritage’ monogram used from 1927-1997 to be on our guernseys. The wreathed logo ought to function as our symbol everywhere else, particularly on official club apparel.

the Club needs to recognise and distinguish the function of each.

mr_robot

Cancelled
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Like was said above, it's probably gone the conservative route so early on in the partnership, keeping it pretty simple and safe. In all likelihood it will expand as it goes.
I’m talking quality, not design. Dare I say it looks like heat-pressed logos and sponsors yet again. I hope i’m mistaken.

Everfields

Draftee
Nov 1, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I am starting to warm to the new logo only because I think they're trying to create some brand awareness like a few other famous clubs. However, if they're going to pull it off they'll definitely need to up their merchandise game.
It could also be that they're trying to distance themselves from the dark days under the previous logo.
Screenshot_20191101_231957.jpeg
Screenshot_20191101_232047.jpeg
Screenshot_20191101_232108.jpeg
Screenshot_20191101_232132.jpeg
Screenshot_20191101_232028.jpeg

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
I am starting to warm to the new logo only because I think they're trying to create some brand awareness like a few other famous clubs. However, if they're going to pull it off they'll definitely need to up their merchandise game.
It could also be that they're trying to distance themselves from the dark days under the previous logo. View attachment 773303View attachment 773304View attachment 773305View attachment 773306View attachment 773307

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we're doing this, the previous rounded CFC was so much marketable, purely because you could very much distinguish the letters a little better and it's a bit cleaner.

I'll miss the beautiful wreathed logo though :(

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Very very underwhelming.
Agree they’ve misread the monogram/wreathed logo distinction.
The monogram looks awesome on the playing guernseys but looks so cheap and nasty on the supporters apparel which should absolutely carry the wreathed logo.
Feel this is an opportunity missed to kick the new partnership off with a bang and a quality classy new range.

Fred Sexton

Debutant
Oct 2, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
How will the Puma deal affect player sportswear sponsorship? Obviously the marque players have their respective deals and will continue to wear their respective branded boots. What about the others, all puma now?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

i have emailed the club with the below photo comparing it to the kmart knock off hoodies with heat pressed logos puma have made for us. difference in quality is astounding.

View attachment 774088

The Richmond logo is embroidered isn't it?
We sure could have done that but it's a little extra handling and a little extra cost - So what?
The logo would have looked so much better than as you say - The heat pressed stuff.
Why wouldn't Puma do it though and do it with their logo also? Yeah - cost, but is that enough a reason to dilute your signature?

Back