Official Club Stuff 10 Year Deal With Puma

JoeyPBLUES

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
So were the players allowed to wear whatever boots they wanted? Do they have to all wear Pumas now? I’ve never noticed.

They went through a stage where if the club was say sponsored by Adidas they all had to wear adidas boots. Then the late 90’S I think it was players were allowed to have separate boot sponsors so if say Crippa is sponsored by Nike he can wear nike boots

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
sponsored by Adidas they all had to wear adidas boots. Then the late 90’S I think it was players were allowed to have separate boot sponsors so if say Crippa is sponsored by Nike he can wear nike boots

Kouta was the pioneer.

Carlton moved to Nike and he wanted to maintain his private sponsorship deal with Adidas and wear their boots.

I think it actually went to court.

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
So were the players allowed to wear whatever boots they wanted? Do they have to all wear Pumas now? I’ve never noticed.

Will wear Puma - unless they have private sponsortship deals/or medical needs (i.e. higher arched NB boots).

Having said that, clubs are pretty lenient these days, so as long as the players are wearing the puma merch - they don't mind so much about boots.

C Kemp

Draftee
May 21, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi team,

Long time reader, second time poster. My first and only post was in regards to Nikes sorry-excuse-of-jersey 2 years ago with the iron-on monogram.

Just wanted to say I'm impressed by the general aesthetic of the new puma gear however am again disappointed by the apparent abandonment of the raised monogram. Have sent an email to the club about it. It was a great tradition that separated us from the other clubs and showed a real sense of care towards tradition and PI gear.

That's all from me!

welshy85

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Was running around Princes Park today and looks like the large ‘old’ wreath logo is being taking off Ikon Park, assuming to be replaced with the new monogram logo the club has started using. I like the new logo but would have been nice to keep the wreath logo for official documents.

Has the wreath logo been officially scrapped?

Would have been nice if the club confirmed the logo change like most NBA teams do when rebranding, compared to the silent approach.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Was running around Princes Park today and looks like the large ‘old’ wreath logo is being taking off Ikon Park, assuming to be replaced with the new monogram logo the club has started using. I like the new logo but would have been nice to keep the wreath logo for official documents.

Would have been nice if the club confirmed the logo change like most NBA teams do when rebranding, compared to the silent approach.
I really like people who don't flap their gums unless there is something to say. Very impressive waiting over 10 years to put a couple of cents worth in.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

There was a rumour on the Footy Jumpers board that maybe the wreath logo was all Nike's idea and design, so naturally Puma wouldn't want to continue with it.

Only a theory/rumour though, so don't shoot the messenger. Or as the kids say, don't @ me.

The Ian PrenderCast

Senior List
Jun 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
There was a rumour on the Footy Jumpers board that maybe the wreath logo was all Nike's idea and design, so naturally Puma wouldn't want to continue with it.

Only a theory/rumour though, so don't shoot the messenger. Or as the kids say, don't @ me.

wreathed ‘corporate’ logo comfortably pre-dated the Nike apparel deal, was modified over time until it was sans-serif and ‘smoothed’ at the edges and, ultimately, until the monogram no longer sat inside the wreath mounted above the Club’s Latin motto and was instead in a solid blue box.

the wreathed logo was re-instated to celebrate the Club’s 150th anniversary as it is the prevailing branding icon of the Club. It was ever-so-slightly re-designed - you will recall earlier iterations of the badge to be a touch squashed - to appear more balanced and symmetrical.

now, our current regime has slowly but surely divorced us from that sleeker, more classic corporate badge in an attempt to establish the locked monogram as a baseball-style icon. Think the Yankees and Dodgers.

as for the guernsey not featuring a raised or embossed monogram? It’s not acceptable and I’ll not cop any excuses as to why it can’t be done or doesn’t really matter that much. It is the distinguishing feature of our Club guernsey. If our administration are willing to compromise that, whats off limits? What, in Cain Liddle’s mind, cannot be touched?

if Puma said they couldn’t emboss the monogram on our playing guernsey I’d have instructed them to make X number of plain navy guernseys, which we could then independently bond/heat press/glue felt cut out monograms on to. Rinse and repeat in reverse for the clash guernsey. Simple. It’s a non negotiable feature and symbol of the Carlton Football Club.

I worry that there’s no one at the Club currently who understands or appreciates our iconography, it’s as though someone who likes American sport is liaising with our apparel partners and/or paying no heed to the history of the Club when it comes to this stuff.

There are quirks to the history of every club at every level of competition all around the world. It just so happens that our badge and monogram - and why they’re different - are central to ours. Failure to understand and acknowledge that is a failure to best serve the Club.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
wreathed ‘corporate’ logo comfortably pre-dated the Nike apparel deal, was modified over time until it was sans-serif and ‘smoothed’ at the edges and, ultimately, until the monogram no longer sat inside the wreath mounted above the Club’s Latin motto and was instead in a solid blue box.

the wreathed logo was re-instated to celebrate the Club’s 150th anniversary as it is the prevailing branding icon of the Club. It was ever-so-slightly re-designed - you will recall earlier iterations of the badge to be a touch squashed - to appear more balanced and symmetrical.

now, our current regime has slowly but surely divorced us from that sleeker, more classic corporate badge in an attempt to establish the locked monogram as a baseball-style icon. Think the Yankees and Dodgers.

as for the guernsey not featuring a raised or embossed monogram? It’s not acceptable and I’ll not cop any excuses as to why it can’t be done or doesn’t really matter that much. It is the distinguishing feature of our Club guernsey. If our administration are willing to compromise that, whats off limits? What, in Cain Liddle’s mind, cannot be touched?

if Puma said they couldn’t emboss the monogram on our playing guernsey I’d have instructed them to make X number of plain navy guernseys, which we could then independently bond/heat press/glue felt cut out monograms on to. Rinse and repeat in reverse for the clash guernsey. Simple. It’s a non negotiable feature and symbol of the Carlton Football Club.

I worry that there’s no one at the Club currently who understands or appreciates our iconography, it’s as though someone who likes American sport is liaising with our apparel partners and/or paying no heed to the history of the Club when it comes to this stuff.

There are quirks to the history of every club at every level of competition all around the world. It just so happens that our badge and monogram - and why they’re different - are central to ours. Failure to understand and acknowledge that is a failure to best serve the Club.
I am well aware of the wreathed logo's history, and when we joined with Nike. I just said maybe Nike brought it back for the 150th anniversary purely because Puma wasn't interested in using it.

I enjoy the fact that we now have brand consistency but I hate that we had to lose the wreathed logo because of it - all because fans thought it was a jinxed CFC monogram 🤪

100% with the embossed monogram though. Let's see what it'll be like during matches though, can only hope it might be a Player Issue thing.

welshy85

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
In the recent Q&A Member Forum the below was asked. Hopefully Puma can 'provide a solution' in 2021...

Good evening, will the Club’s 2020 Puma playing guernsey feature our trademark raised/embossed monogram as it has done since 1927 or will it be sublimated? The raised CFC is what makes our guernsey unique. It is literally our symbol and must be retained without compromise. Thanks, - Sean

Cain Liddle | Hi Sean, thanks for your question. In the first year of our partnership with PUMA, we wanted to clean all of the silver out of the monogram and return it back to the iconic white monogram. It goes without saying that the high performance requirements of our playing guernsey have increased since 1927. The monogram has not been raised for sometime now due to the lightweight playing guernsey that AFL players now wear. We have however instructed PUMA that we want them to remain focussed on providing a solution that allows our iconic raised monogram to be returned to the navy guernsey.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
In the recent Q&A Member Forum the below was asked. Hopefully Puma can 'provide a solution' in 2021...

Good evening, will the Club’s 2020 Puma playing guernsey feature our trademark raised/embossed monogram as it has done since 1927 or will it be sublimated? The raised CFC is what makes our guernsey unique. It is literally our symbol and must be retained without compromise. Thanks, - Sean

Cain Liddle | Hi Sean, thanks for your question. In the first year of our partnership with PUMA, we wanted to clean all of the silver out of the monogram and return it back to the iconic white monogram. It goes without saying that the high performance requirements of our playing guernsey have increased since 1927. The monogram has not been raised for sometime now due to the lightweight playing guernsey that AFL players now wear. We have however instructed PUMA that we want them to remain focussed on providing a solution that allows our iconic raised monogram to be returned to the navy guernsey.
Solution - players to get those rubber implants on their chests in the shape of the CFC logo. tight jumpers, protruding cfc emblem !

Back