Coach 100+ Point Losses = Coach Killer?

Remove this Banner Ad

The sample size I showed (even though small) is more prevalent in teams that are really struggling.

Pagan had the best team in 90's...Laidley/Scott had middle tier teams that managed to play finals.

I don't think coaches should be judged this way but the reality is the when these defeats happen.....club boards feel the pressure from fans and conjecture from the media.

I like your voice of cold reason mate but think for the 100 pts losses to really put Noble under strain to keep his job these scenarios would need to occur:

Our players are not showing measurable effort or enthusiasm for a longer span eg 2-3 months. Basically a strong indication that the coaches have lost them

Or

We have 75% of our best 22 on the park for the same kind of duration and are still copping frequent hidings with no observable improvement

Or

It's mid 2023, we have most of our best team on the park yet the hidings are still a regular occurrence and there's still no discernible system

In his first season there was a clear message. We are going to teach the young group a new more attacking game plan, that will take some pain, but as a result, in a will have us playing the modern high scoring way.

In his second season we have no game plan, no structure and all the gains made in the second half of last year, are no longer visible.

Add to that the 100 point loss and it’s not looking great

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree 100%.

Alot of own goals being kicked by the football department - incompetent team selection and structure on a weekly basis; drafting shambles leaving us with 1 pick inside 50 this year AND no depth in defence; contracting a washed up captain for a further 2 years and a leadership group with 4 defenders (none of whom have the surname McKay); the coach talking about nourishment....

I am not sure whether they all just thought it was a matter of 'serving time' and things will get better - but right now its amateur hour down at Arden St and we need to start getting more decisions right than wrong or this will get ugly (or more uglier) very quickly.

The common theme with all 100 point losses at this level is giving up. You can be outclassed, out played, beaten in all facets of the game, but if you at least bring the effort - this margin simply doesn’t happen.

The common theme with all 100 point losses at this level is giving up. You can be outclassed, out played, beaten in all facets of the game, but if you at least bring the effort - this margin simply doesn’t happen.

Teams these days struggle to score 100 let alone win by 100. The common theme about our last two April 2 hidings was that in the last quarter of each, a very bad loss turned into a catastrophic loss. They gave up.

Noble isn't under pressure for his job, but he is under pressure. He's had a full pre-season and unlike last year has his fingerprints on list changes. Yet we've started the year worse than we ended the last one. We might be young and not much good, but presenting a rabble with conditional work ethic (admitting that even training standards are off in his presser) is cause for significant alarm. He wouldn't want too many more shellackings.

We'd be up there for 60+ point thrashings for sure in the last 20 odd years.

Pagan saw a lot in his last 2 seasons.

Not going to go through every club's thrashings in the last 20 years - but from 2000 onwards we've lost 46 games by 60+ (8 under Pagan, 14 under Laidley, 19 under Scott, 2 under Shaw, 3 under Noble). Among that is 9 100+ losses (Pagan 2, Laidley 2, Scott 3, Noble 2). We've had 32 60+ wins (Pagan 5, Laidley 8, Crocker 2, Scott 15, Shaw 2), and 3 100+ wins (Laidley 1, Scott 2).

Since the start of 2016 (by which time we'd won our last final, GWS were good and GC should have been) the number of 60+ losses for each club is
31 - Gold Coast
18 - Carlton
17 - Brisbane Lions, Essendon
14 - Fremantle
9 - North Melbourne, Richmond, St.Kilda
8 - Port Adelaide
7 - Adelaide
6 - Collingwood, Hawthorn
4 - GWS Giants, Melbourne, West Coast, Western Bulldogs
2 - Geelong (both finals)
0 - Sydney (last 60+ loss was v Hawthorn in 2015)

In the same time, 100+ losses
5 - Gold Coast
4 - Fremantle (3 in 2017)
3 - Carlton (all 2018)
2 - Essendon, North Melbourne, St.Kilda
1 - Brisbane Lions, Richmond
0 - Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS Giants, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Hawthorn, Sydney (last 100+ loss was 1998 v St.Kilda)

Not going to go through every club's thrashings in the last 20 years - but from 2000 onwards we've lost 46 games by 60+ (8 under Pagan, 14 under Laidley, 19 under Scott, 2 under Shaw, 3 under Noble). Among that is 9 100+ losses (Pagan 2, Laidley 2, Scott 3, Noble 2). We've had 32 60+ wins (Pagan 5, Laidley 8, Crocker 2, Scott 15, Shaw 2), and 3 100+ wins (Laidley 1, Scott 2).

Since the start of 2016 (by which time we'd won our last final, GWS were good and GC should have been) the number of 60+ losses for each club is
31 - Gold Coast
18 - Carlton
14 - Fremantle
8 - Port Adelaide
7 - Adelaide

5 - Gold Coast
3 - Carlton (all 2018)
0 - Western Bulldogs, Geelong, Adelaide, Collingwood, GWS Giants, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Hawthorn, Sydney (last 100+ loss was 1998 v St.Kilda)

I have seen a very disturbing claim that we've never beaten * by more than 50 pts.

True?

I have seen a very disturbing claim that we've never beaten * by more than 50 pts.

True?

False.

We beat them at Waverley in 1985 by 59 points and in 1992 at Princes Park by 52. But until that game in 1985, we'd never beaten them by more than 6 goals. Aside from the two above we have since beaten them by 38 in 1993 (Carey's night), 42 in 2005 and 45 in 2013.

False.

We beat them at Waverley in 1985 by 59 points and in 1992 at Princes Park by 52. But until that game in 1985, we'd never beaten them by more than 6 goals. Aside from the two above we have since beaten them by 38 in 1993 (Carey's night), 42 in 2005 and 45 in 2013.

Thanks MM.

That's pretty miserable though. It's a pity in 2016 we put the cue in the rack at halftime.

I don't care about their circumstances. We could've given them a bludgeoning to last forever more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

31 - Gold Coast
18 - Carlton
14 - Fremantle
8 - Port Adelaide
7 - Adelaide

5 - Gold Coast
3 - Carlton (all 2018)

Great post. So not quite as bad as I'd thought but not great. About bog-average I guess which sums it up really.

False.

We beat them at Waverley in 1985 by 59 points
A magnificent day it was too. Freezing cold and damp wooden bench seats, and as well as that, a group of smartarse * supporters from work in the row behind us. And were they giving us hell (almost as bad as South Australian suppporters at state of origin) untill... North went crazy and whooped their arses. Second best day at VFL park ever.

Now it's up to you to name the best day at Waverly ever Marstermind !

A magnificent day it was too. Freezing cold and damp wooden bench seats, and as well as that, a group of smartarse * supporters from work in the row behind us. And were they giving us hell (almost as bad as South Australian suppporters at state of origin) untill... North went crazy and whooped their arses. Second best day at VFL park ever.

Well that's subjective - for me it was the extra- time final in 1994 against Hawthorn. The first North finals win I saw live. After that it would be the 1998 Night Grand Final and the follow up game against the Saints in 1998 - but that's a personal thing as my family are Saints fans and they thought they were so good.

I didn't attend it, but the 1985 Elimination Final comeback was something special as a kid. Would have watched the Seven's Big League replay as many times as the 1996 Grand Final. Lou Richards: North Melbourne are coming home like a house on fire!!!

I'm no Mastermind, but.......
1977 prelim v the Dawks hands down for me S.O.S. out at Waverley closely followed by 1976 prelim.

I'm no Mastermind, but.......
1977 prelim v the Dawks hands down for me S.O.S. out at Waverley closely followed by 1976 prelim.
I don't remember 1976 or 77 Hoju.

I didn't attend it, but the 1985 Elimination Final comeback was something special as a kid. Would have watched the Seven's Big League replay as many times as the 1996 Grand Final. Lou Richards: North Melbourne are coming home like a house on fire!!!

But that 1985 elimination final against Carlton was a great day. We were flogged for most of the day then we launched a comeback for the ages. And we were there as guests of the umpires. As you know, I'm quite a fan of the AFL umpiring fraterity and we had some amongst them in our circle of friends. But they were openly baracking for the blews and bagging out myself and Mrs SoS. It was the last game we ever got invited to as guests of the umpires - I think I might have said some unkind words. Luckily, the caterer at our wedding (who was one of them) had done his job before then - otherwise we might have been fed some ratsack in return for my witty remarks about their parentage.

Not that he wasn't in trouble already.......but our latest result makes it 3.

fwiw - I don't want the coach sacked.
i would've agreed with you because my thinking has been that another change of coach in such a short time would be too unsettling and would only make the club more unstable. but at this stage, it's broken. it's not functioning. i think it's going to do more damage to the club and the playing group to leave him in place, there's no way they could still have belief in this system.

i would've agreed with you because my thinking has been that another change of coach in such a short time would be too unsettling and would only make the club more unstable. but at this stage, it's broken. it's not functioning. i think it's going to do more damage to the club and the playing group to leave him in place, there's no way they could still have belief in this system.
200.gif

What system? There is nothing systematic about how we play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back