Marks: 1.9 per game
Goals: 0.6 per game
Tackles: 2.7 per game

Milestones

Ranked 7th among rising stars in tackles inside 50 per game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in total one percenters
Ranked 8th among rising stars in total tackles inside 50
Ranked 10th among rising stars in one percenters per game
Career high handballs in a game (11, versus GWS Giants in round 21, 2019)
Career high goals in a game (2, versus Brisbane Lions in round 19, 2019)

Standout

Round 21, 2019 (versus GWS Giants): On a cold night in Canberra, Nash stood out with 16 disposals (including 11 handballs) as the Hawks combined well all over the ground to hold the Giants to their lowest ever score since joining the AFL. Nash was an important link in the chain for Hawthorn across half-forward and was able to chip in with a goal.

Shocker

Round 18, 2019 (versus Geelong Cats): Although the Hawks got the job done against the Cats, Nash was a minimal contributor, with just five disposals and one tackle. Looked every inch a player coming into the game from a foreign background.

45 - Conor Nash (2018)

He and Morrison started out the year looking like they weren't at the level, and low on confidence. Unlike Harry, he was able to claw back a spot and show what he can do when he's up and about. Saw some nice marks, snaps and even set-shot goal kicking from the big man. Still so young, here's to next year!

Sorry but he's in for a long year at Box Hill if Patton is good to go.
He won't get a game before Gunston,Lewis & TOB.

I feel that Conor gets rated at extreme ends of the spectrum by fans.

Some don't rate him at all and struggle to see where he fits into the greater picture whilst others seem to rate him as if he could be the next great white hope.

I admit that I am probably at the pessimistic end of the spectrum but he did show some signs towards the end of the season that he was making progress.

I still maintain he needs to add a contested marking element to his game if he is going to make it long term though.

I feel that Conor gets rated at extreme ends of the spectrum by fans.

Some don't rate him at all and struggle to see where he fits into the greater picture whilst others seem to rate him as if he could be the next great white hope.

I admit that I am probably at the pessimistic end of the spectrum but he did show some signs towards the end of the season that he was making progress.

I still maintain he needs to add a contested marking element to his game if he is going to make it long term though.
It’ll certainly be interesting to see if he can fit into a functioning forwardline being fed by a competent (break even etc. - not a comment about individual talent) midfield.

With Patton at FF, Lewis at CHF, Brooster/Wingard & Gunston leading at the ball carrier, he will well & truly slip free of a having a direct opponent.

I’d be keen to see how he goes playing slightly high, then charging at the contest (from centre toward goal) without an opponent. Whilst Brooster hits packs & evades opponents with class, Nash could probs bash through with brawn & some pace & his hands to set up teammates are very effective (if not slightly ugly).

This would also leave him in a handy position to lay big tackles on pesky Back Pocket types, whilst Popeye attacks the contest/opponent from the goal line.

Sorry but he's in for a long year at Box Hill if Patton is good to go.
He won't get a game before Gunston,Lewis & TOB.
Nash is a tall SMALL forward... Patten is a marking forward. Different positions!
Gunston,Lewis & TOB are irrelevant when talking about Nash.

Conor Nash could be anything.
But for now he is the best tackler & pressure player in our forward line... with Poppy.
Nash hits a tackle well and at speed.

He has just started marking the ball against reasonable opponents.

Cyril is irreplaceable... but maybe Nash and Wingard could show us something fun

Nash could play relief ruck. This guy can be anything.

Last edited:
Was really happy with his development this year. In addition to running to create, and providing genuine forward pressure, not to mention creating by hand (see score involvement ranking), Nash started to mark at full stretch against an opponent by the year's end. He didn't look like doing that early on.

There's been enough evolution in his fundamentals to think that he's going to make it proper. I'm really enjoying the continued improvement of our young team, particularly the forward line.

Exciting times with Nash though, he could be anything, and clearly has an ability to learn and then do.

Liked his development towards the end of the year. Cannot recall which games it was in but he took a contested mark, which showed a development in this facet of his game and a set shot at goal which went straight through the middle. With another preseason I believe he is on track to take his game to another level next year. If he can do this he will be a very difficult apponent for any opposition to man up on.

I reckon if Nash can replicate Poppy’s stats (goals, tackles, marks (remember he has taken some great grabs!) and goal assists) then that would be excellent. I think Poppy was one of the first of his kind playing that kind of role. Hoping Nash is a new breed of similar players (if that makes sense!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theres some very experimental flanker types being touted in the hypothetical thread.

Every time I just keep thinking ‘why bother when you already have Nash?’

Liked his development towards the end of the year. Cannot recall which games it was in but he took a contested mark, which showed a development in this facet of his game and a set shot at goal which went straight through the middle. With another preseason I believe he is on track to take his game to another level next year. If he can do this he will be a very difficult apponent for any opposition to man up on.

Took a really strong 1v1 contested grab against Lachie Keefe (the same bloke that held Miochek to zero possessions until late in the 4th qtr in the prelim) for the opening goal v HWS in Canberra.

Then took a good contested mark the next week - can’t recall against who.

His all-round game took some positive steps in the 2nd half of the season. In that GWS game, and in the last couple of rounds, he was getting up the ground more and involved in the lead up play through the middle of the ground. Can’t help but think this only makes him a better footballer and develops his reading of the game.

Big pre-season and take a few more steps next year. Really looking forward to his progress next year.

The one bloke on our list who could be anything... or not get there.

At the moment he's the best fast handballer in the league for a tall guy.

Last year he kicked like Lachie Langford, this year Will Langford. If he gets to Chris Langford next geez.

The one bloke on our list who could be anything... or not get there.

At the moment he's the best fast handballer in the league for a tall guy.

Last year he kicked like Lachie Langford, this year Will Langford. If he gets to Chris Langford next geez.

"The best fast handballer in the league for a tall guy."

And how did you possibly quantify that?

Yes, he has nice hands but let's settle down with the hyperbole.

We have a lot of supporters on here that overrate Nash. He has a long way to go, but that will take time. There's no arguing over his elite physical traits, he just needs to learn how to get involved in the game more. Personally I think he should be doing this at Box Hill.

Aside from his size and pace I was encouraged by seeing him clunk some marks at the end of the season. If he can continue to do that, whilst working on the rest of his game then he could become a unique threat. The odds are against him, but at least he has all that physical tools to help him get there.

I'm super intrigued to see how Clarko & co plan to utilise Nash next year, especially with the recruitment of Patton.

Patton, Lewis and TOB is already a tall forward line. How does Nash fit into it? Will we use him as a quick, athletic & high pressure forward who just happens to be really tall? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like others have mentioned - Nash has the potential to be the player with the most upside on our list or the most disappointing. Can't wait to find out 😊

I'm super intrigued to see how Clarko & co plan to utilise Nash next year, especially with the recruitment of Patton.

Patton, Lewis and TOB is already a tall forward line. How does Nash fit into it? Will we use him as a quick, athletic & high pressure forward who just happens to be really tall? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like others have mentioned - Nash has the potential to be the player with the most upside on our list or the most disappointing. Can't wait to find out 😊
You want good ground work from such a type with those talks around

Wonder if we can be more radical with Nash in terms of position ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back